Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll have a little bit of the LSU offense in our playbook
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/05/bengals-have-studied-a-lot-of-offenses-to-find-whats-comfortable-for-joe-burrow/

According to Callahan, our offensive playbook will be quite different:

Quote:“We kind of studied trends and numerous teams that are doing good things on offense,” Callahan said, via the team’s website. “Third down and red zone. See what teams are doing. See what they’re doing well and why and if you can incorporate them, you do that. I think we’ve done a good job studying around the league that can help us. We studied a lot of things from LSU. Obviously if the quarterback is comfortable, everyone is comfortable.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They scrapped the ol Tecmo Bowl playbook huh?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 06:24 PM)jason Wrote: They scrapped the ol Tecmo Bowl playbook huh?

Surprisingly it was not effective without Bo Jackson.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 06:24 PM)jason Wrote: They scrapped the ol Tecmo Bowl playbook huh?

(07-05-2020, 06:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Surprisingly it was not effective without Bo Jackson.

Funny how I read Techmo Bowl and instantly that damn music replays in my head so many years later.

Reply/Quote
James Brooks was awesome in Tecmo Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
Seems like a no brainer to make our shiny new star QB as comfy as possible.

Also seems wise to admit the playbook they were using last year needed to be burned and the ashes thrown in acid.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 09:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Seems like a no brainer to make our shiny new star QB as comfy as possible.

Also seems wise to admit the playbook they were using last year needed to be burned and the ashes thrown in acid.

I don't think they've admitted that part...

... yet.
Reply/Quote
Last year's playbook was hindered by many things
No AJ Green. Revolving door at left side of oline. And Daltons inability to carry the offense without AJ.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 10:19 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Last year's playbook was hindered by many things
No AJ Green. Revolving door at left side of oline. And Daltons inability to carry the offense without AJ.

And the guy calling plays from the book.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 10:08 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I don't think they've admitted that part...

... yet.

They may not have openly said it, but isn't changing the hell out of it basically admitting it?

A wise man learns from his mistakes and there's never anything wrong with imitating what works.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 09:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Seems like a no brainer to make our shiny new star QB as comfy as possible.

I have heard this sentiment a lot, but isn't the "playbook and play-calling" a bit like the defense last year:  It got better as the year wore on?

The offense had no running game and once Ross was injured and they had him and Green both on the sidelines, the passing game wasn't going to be the same.  The offensive line struggled early (also largely due to injuries) in both run blocking and pass protection.  Basically, nothing was working on that side of the ball.  Then, they made adjustments and the rushing attack became one of the better ones in the league.   This helped the defense not be on the field all the time.

I understand early on the offense really struggled, but wasn't that more of a product of injuries on both the offensive line and the WR position?  Based on the talent they had healthy, I thought once they pulled Finley that the play calling was pretty solid.  
Reply/Quote
In regards to last years playbook... The offense was putting up yards just not points. Too many careless turnovers. Seattle game specifically that pathetic screen pass that looked like a pass in the game of 500...
Reply/Quote

Then thrown in the ocean in a weighted bag.

And yes it only makes sense to bring some of what Burrow did at LSU along. But if we can stay healthy I don't really anticipate many issues with him adapting.
Reply/Quote
Other then a couple of fourth down situations I don't really know what so many people complain about the play calling.

Anybody want to give me some specifics of the problems with our play calling last year?
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 10:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Other then a couple of fourth down situations I don't really know what so many people complain about the play calling.

Anybody want to give me some specifics of the problems with our play calling last year?

How about a QB sneak from shotgun...
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 10:31 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: How about a QB sneak from shotgun...

That was the play I was talking about.

Instead of "4th down" I should have said "short yardage".
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 06:20 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/05/bengals-have-studied-a-lot-of-offenses-to-find-whats-comfortable-for-joe-burrow/

According to Callahan, our offensive playbook will be quite different:

And ... the same guy is calling the plays. Zac, no matter how much he talks or how good he might sound to Mike Brown and Co, needs to put up some wins to keep his job.

Reply/Quote
I hope they keep the shotgun packages on short yardage situations. Ninja
Reply/Quote
If they are going to incorporate the LSU playbook, fine, I just wish they'd shut up about it and quit telling people what they are doing.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 12:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If they are going to incorporate the LSU playbook, fine, I just wish they'd shut up about it and quit telling people what they are doing.

Maybe they aren’t incorporating any of it! Smokescreen!!
Reply/Quote