Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We might need to start trading star players...
(11-26-2018, 04:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with LBs, RT, and TE. However, you forgot to mention plan for RG and slot CB.
For RG, are you moving Westerman or Price to RG? Because all other guards are set to become FAs and frankly not worth starting at that spot. If you're moving Price to RG, you have to figure out what to do with C.
For slot CB, Dennard becomes a FA after this year. Are you re-signing him or no? If you don't re-sign him, how are you addressing that position?

How can you expect the Bengals to sign a bunch of upper-tier free agents when they only have about $10-15m in cap space? ---Geoff Hobson. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I could maybe see Zimmer or Guenther wanting Tez, but I doubt we’d get a fair return. I’d rather just keep him to scare the Steelers twice a year for however much longer he’s in the league.

Also wouldn’t mind making him our LB coach when he does hang em up.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 10:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...he's also injured a lot and suspended even more.

He's likely going to get a 1 year suspension eventually. That's a huge burden to build a defense around.

At his best he is a top 10 lber that matters. If in shape dude is a top player.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 01:27 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: At his best he is a top 10 lber that matters. If in shape dude is a top player.

Being out of shape has not been the problem this season. That’s message boards bs. There’s something else going on. Sadly, if I had to guess, it’s the lack of PED’s.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 01:27 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: At his best he is a top 10 lber that matters. If in shape dude is a top player.

If in shape. If not injured. And if not suspended.

And his past history makes a suspension of a full season very likely.

Do you want to build your defense around that guy?
Reply/Quote

If in shape. If not injured. And if not suspended.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:42 PM)Big Boss Wrote: This plan only works for me if they clean house at the coaching staff.  I have zero interest in seeing yet another reboot under Marvin Lewis.

I'd say that NOW, slim chance Marvin is back and I doubt Hue Jackson returns as head coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 02:26 PM)redwood Wrote: I'd say that NOW, slim chance Marvin is back and I doubt Hue Jackson returns as head coach.

Based on how normal teams would handle it.

It looked like there was 0 chance Marvin returned after last year with his contract up...and 2 year contract.

IF they fire Marvin, they have to pay that last year AND pay a new coach. I doubt they do that.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 03:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Based on how normal teams would handle it.

It looked like there was 0 chance Marvin returned after last year with his contract up...and 2 year contract.

IF they fire Marvin, they have to pay that last year AND pay a new coach. I doubt they do that.

Yeah, it's a pretty safe bet to assume Marvin is here for at least 2019 and if he's gone in 2020 Hue will be the HC.  
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 02:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If in shape. If not injured. And if not suspended.

Do you want to build your defense around that guy?

The danger of being suspended is gone.  He doesn't get close enough to n opponent any more to draw a flag.  Like someone said in another thread, he has been neutered.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 03:12 PM)McC Wrote: The danger of being suspended is gone.  He doesn't get close enough to n opponent any more to draw a flag.  Like someone said in another thread, he has been neutered.  

Yep.

He did bring a lot on himself. At ASU he had a ton of personal fouls and questionable hits...then same thing in the Pro's.

It just sucks that our defense is now missing that edge...and he was signed to a multi-year deal.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 02:44 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We don't need to over haul the roster completely. I would only consider trading 3 players Vontaz, Boyd, and if a spectacular deal comes for him Green. Other than that no. Sign a free agent LB, Draft a LB, s Draft a RT, and Draft a TE. You can do that  in one cycle. It's not a 4 or 5 year build like you're claiming it to be.

Yes we do......heres what I would do....

Cut
- Vontaze (no one will trade for this injured head case)
- Dre K (salary too much for the paycheck he will earn in 2019)
- Glenn (too much $$ for him to under perform at LT)
- Michael Johnson
- Bobby Hart

Move Clint Boling to Left Tackle

Need to draft a LBer and Olineman with the first two picks.  

We need to build from the inside out, Tom Brady couldn't perform behind this offensive line.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Boling is declining at Guard. Moving him to LT will be worse.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Boling is declining at Guard. Moving him to LT will be worse.

Boling might be playing hurt.  He was replace by Westerman Sunday.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 10:17 AM)McC Wrote: Boling might be playing hurt.  He was replace by Westerman Sunday.

That's quite possible.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 10:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's quite possible.
I didn't even notice Westerman playing and it wasn't mentioned during the game.  I read it somewhere the next day.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 03:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, it's a pretty safe bet to assume Marvin is here for at least 2019 and if he's gone in 2020 Hue will be the HC.  

I think there's a pretty good chance he's out if the embarrassment of the last 3 weeks continues.

Paul Dehner was on the 1530 ESPN afternoon show yesterday and had some interesting insights.  He said that when Marvin was re-hired after last season, the people running the organization truly believed that the fans would eventually swallow it and get on board.  They didn't expect a half-empty stadium with Cleveland fans audibly barking on TV in November at PBS.  

I wouldn't be shocked if this were the case.  I went to the Baltimore game, ie a prime time game early in the year when enthusiasm was still relatively high after the win in Indy.  The place was pretty barren compared to even recent years when attendance was in decline.  People have cancelled season tickets and nobody really cares to go and watch that product any longer.  

Does Mike care?  My automatic response is no, but I'm not 100 percent on that anymore.  Have you ever seen a season where the team took out such a massive advertising campaign as they did with the "Sieze the Day" barrage?  Those commercials were on every other minute when camp opened, and looked like someone put effort into them.  Not normal.  

I think they were too arrogant and too optimistic about the Marvin re-hire.  Now they're quite possibly about to see the worst case scenario unfold over the next few weeks.  They may actually feel compelled to act this time.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 04:54 PM)samhain Wrote: I think there's a pretty good chance he's out if the embarrassment of the last 3 weeks continues.

Paul Dehner was on the 1530 ESPN afternoon show yesterday and had some interesting insights.  He said that when Marvin was re-hired after last season, the people running the organization truly believed that the fans would eventually swallow it and get on board.  They didn't expect a half-empty stadium with Cleveland fans audibly barking on TV in November at PBS.  

I wouldn't be shocked if this were the case.  I went to the Baltimore game, ie a prime time game early in the year when enthusiasm was still relatively high after the win in Indy.  The place was pretty barren compared to even recent years when attendance was in decline.  People have cancelled season tickets and nobody really cares to go and watch that product any longer.  

Does Mike care?  My automatic response is no, but I'm not 100 percent on that anymore.  Have you ever seen a season where the team took out such a massive advertising campaign as they did with the "Sieze the Day" barrage?  Those commercials were on every other minute when camp opened, and looked like someone put effort into them.  Not normal.  

I think they were too arrogant and too optimistic about the Marvin re-hire.  Now they're quite possibly about to see the worst case scenario unfold over the next few weeks.  They may actually feel compelled to act this time.

I was at that game too. It was by far the quietest I've ever heard that stadium.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 04:54 PM)samhain Wrote: I think there's a pretty good chance he's out if the embarrassment of the last 3 weeks continues.

This could all be true.  But the replacement already being here will just give more of the same and possibly even worse.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 04:58 PM)jason Wrote: I was at that game too. It was by far the quietest I've ever heard that stadium.

Yep.  People here who maybe don't attend games might not have the best picture.  If you're on this forum, you're probably pretty serious about this team.  You'll be as exited about a rebuild year as a potential playoff year, b/c you get to watch football again.

Not so much for casual fans.  Some people just don't give a shit, and why should they?  Teams need casual fans to buy tickets and merchandise.  Not just diehards and over-invested nutbags like us.  They've lost that big time after Marvin returned.

The hardcore fanbase largely re-invested before the season, but there aren't that many of us, and it's likely not enough to keep a stadium filled.  
Reply/Quote