Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need Paul Alexander back
I joke, but I saw this...so he must have been doing something right:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
He got canned before he could even finish one season in Dallas. He sucks.

The lines in Cincy have had a ton of talent on them throughout the years. This year and last year were really the first two with really subpar talent.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
[Image: DRHFIajW4AIXQr3.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:19 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: He got canned before he could even finish one season in Dallas. He sucks.

The lines in Cincy have had a ton of talent on them throughout the years. This year and last year were really the first two with really subpar talent.

And that's the deal. We have had a lot of talent.

But, aren't the pressure numbers surprising? We have been the best pass blocking line over a 10 year span.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And that's the deal. We have had a lot of talent.

But, aren't the pressure numbers surprising? We have been the best pass blocking line over a 10 year span.

I am going to say Andy's quick release has just a little bit to do with that as well. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:46 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I am going to say Andy's quick release has just a little bit to do with that as well. 

Possibly some, but Whit, Andre Smith in his prime, Zeitler, Boling, etc have all been pretty good.
Reply/Quote
He is a good coach highly regarded by many in the league and very knowledgeable on Twitter. This place would explode though. Truth is it wasn't his fault what happened to the Offensive line but the Front Offices but hey it's just easier to blame the Coach.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 10:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I joke, but I saw this...so he must have been doing something right:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

well a decade's worth of data is quite a reference - whatever the metrics, evaluation method.

Pass protection wise we have been strong.  

Getting a consistent push on the run game has tended to be the weakness...with ironically our best YPC for a long while being under Frank Pollack ..who was then canned!
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 07:31 AM)sonofstat Wrote: well a decade's worth of data is quite a reference - whatever the metrics, evaluation method.

Pass protection wise we have been strong.  

Getting a consistent push on the run game has tended to be the weakness...with ironically our best YPC for a long while being under Frank Pollack ..who was then canned!

I constantly hear it both ways, was Pollack fired, or did he quit?

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 07:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I constantly hear it both ways, was Pollack fired, or did he quit?

I think it was clear that his face did not fit with ZT who wanted his own guys ...heard that the Front Office wanted to actually keep him but let the HC make the call.

I thought he was good and made an impact
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:19 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote:  He sucks.

The lines in Cincy have had a ton of talent on them throughout the years
. This year and last year were really the first two with really subpar talent.

That just proves what an AMAZING front office we have.  Just imagine, you have a position coach who sucks yet that position ranks number one in the league over a decade.  Bengals must have done an amazing job drafting and signing free gents to accomplish that.

Like that Division champion'09 O-line that featured 3 undrafted free agents with 6 combined NFL starts (Roland, Livings, Cook) plus a free agent who had been cut by the Dolphins and was playing for his third team in three years (Mathis). Who couldn't keep pressure off a QB with that kind of talent?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:49 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is a good coach highly regarded by many in the league and very knowledgeable on Twitter. This place would explode though. Truth is it wasn't his fault what happened to the Offensive line but the Front Offices but hey it's just easier to blame the Coach.

Wasn't his fault? He "pounded the table" for Og and Fish! 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:33 AM)Wyche Wrote: Wasn't his fault? He "pounded the table" for Og and Fish! 

That may be true. But, I doubt that the Patriots Offensive Line coach is scouting and drafting players as much as our coaches do.

Checks and balances. We don't have those.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That may be true. But, I doubt that the Patriots Offensive Line coach is scouting and drafting players as much as our coaches do.

Checks and balances. We don't have those.

The scouting part is probably true....then again, when Scarnecchia retired, Belichick talked him into coming back. Is Piano Man employed anywhere? I think there's your answer. To me, like Marvin, he became outdated, and refused to adapt. The guy was here since what, '93? I don't see how a front office could retain any coach that was a part of a decade like that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:19 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: He got canned before he could even finish one season in Dallas. He sucks.

Just because some of them weighed a ton, doesn't mean they had a ton of talent.   

The 1980's had a great O Line.  The 1970's weren't bad.  Whitworth & Co was a good O Line those 5 straight play-off years. 

However in the 1990's, most of 2000's up to 2011, and from 2017 to now, the Bengals have rolled out some of the worst O Lines in NFL History.  I point out that these years all under Mike Brown who from Max Montoya to Zeitler and Whitworth let them go saying in media, " Why Should I Pay Offensive Linemen ? ".   So Mike Brown replaces them with guys that weighed a ton, but instead of a ton of talent they bring a ton of losses. 

Fans always over rate the talent of Bengals players thinking it is all coaching.  The truth is the Bengals in many years were weak in talent, the cheapest team Mike Brown could field. 

That said, I'm glad the OP said he is joking, because going backwards into Bungles old coaches not the answer.  If we want Bengals and not Bungles, you go into the future and not the past.  The New Dey coaches are not to blame for the lack of talent they inherited a few months back, or the lousy player moves of Mike Brown & Family & Tobin & Marvin. 

This goes for a defense that fans have some players over rated thinking the D is load on talent. There is Atkins and Dunlap and then some home town hero's that just don't get the job done. If this team had all this so called talent, they could block and tackle, but this is 3rd straight year they can't. I'm not sure we could give away any of our O Linemen, let alone trade them. Who would want them ?
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
All sarcasm aside, Paul Alexander had unique pass blocking techniques that worked for many years. He was well respected around the league for this. But we never had a real good running game with him as O-line coach except for '04-'05 when we had Rudi and arguably the most talented line in the league.

Most of the hatred he got around here came from the fact that he was cultured and not a slobbering knuckle-dragger like most people want the football coaches to be. He was considered soft because he **gasp** played the piano **gasp**. Nothing made this more clear than last year when many here were praising Pollack for getting away from Alexander's "soft" zone blocking schemes and using more drive blocking. But the fact was that Frank Pollack was know for running the classic zone blocking scheme he learned from Bill Callahan while Alexander employed more man blocking.

There are always certain players/coaches on this team that a lot of fans hate for reasons other than how they perform. Once a player gets on the negative side all the fans see are his bad plays and the seem to become oblivious to the good.

The run of Bodine, Ogbuehi, and Fisher doomed Alexander. I had supported him for years, but he had to go after that '17 nightmare. Green, Dalton, and Bernard did not miss a single game. Mixon only missed 2. Yet that offense was putrid. Dead last in the league.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: The scouting part is probably true....then again, when Scarnecchia retired, Belichick talked him into coming back. Is Piano Man employed anywhere? I think there's your answer. To me, like Marvin, he became outdated, and refused to adapt. The guy was here since what, '93? I don't see how a front office could retain any coach that was a part of a decade like that.

Therein lies the problem. And someone employed here that long probably had extreme influence on decisions.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: The scouting part is probably true....then again, when Scarnecchia retired, Belichick talked him into coming back. Is Piano Man employed anywhere? I think there's your answer. To me, like Marvin, he became outdated, and refused to adapt. The guy was here since what, '93? I don't see how a front office could retain any coach that was a part of a decade like that.

Paul Alexander's technique was suited to a bygone era when defensive linemen were slow and lumbering, not fast and big like they are now. It only took Jerry Jones mere months to figure out what Mike Brown couldn't figure out in over two decades.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:52 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Paul Alexander's technique was suited to a bygone era when defensive linemen were slow and lumbering, not fast and big like they are now. It only took Jerry Jones mere months to figure out what Mike Brown couldn't figure out in over two decades.

How telling is that? And Dallas had a pretty loaded line from a personnel perspective.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't see how a front office could retain any coach that was a part of a decade like that.

That type of logic is ridiculous. Dick LeBeau is a Hall of Fame coach and he was part of that decade.

But I have seen a lot of that type of thinking her regarding players.  Some people here want to get rid of good players just because they played for Marvin. Again they end up hating on players for reasons other than what they did on the field. 
Reply/Quote