Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need Paul Alexander back
(09-16-2019, 11:53 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How telling is that? And Dallas had a pretty loaded line from a personnel perspective.

They do indeed.  Paul was very effective early on in Marvin Lewis' tenure but let's be completely honest:  It would take a screwed up psycho to mess up great linemen like Rich Braham, Willie Anderson, and Levi Jones. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Therein lies the problem. And someone employed here that long probably had extreme influence on decisions.

(09-16-2019, 11:52 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Paul Alexander's technique was suited to a bygone era when defensive linemen were slow and lumbering, not fast and big like they are now. It only took Jerry Jones mere months to figure out what Mike Brown couldn't figure out in over two decades.

That's my point. At one time, Alexander WAS a good coach. For some reason or another, he just failed to adapt to the new NFL. That, and the debacle of Bodine/Og/Fish were ultimately his undoing.

Yes, as assistant HC, I feel comfortable saying he had a lot more input than your run of the mill oline coach. That was a problem too.

And Fred...... it's largely due to optics. If someone can hang around 20 plus years, and the team was a dog for 10 plus years of that run, and then underperform themselves for the last several years, it sends a bad message to everyone in any organization/business. Also, Dick DID get fired.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:00 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: They do indeed.  Paul was very effective early on in Marvin Lewis' tenure but let's be completely honest:  It would take a screwed up psycho to mess up great linemen like Rich Braham, Willie Anderson, and Levi Jones. 

Well, I heard they were pretty damn good with a ketchup bottle too, so...... Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's my point. At one time, Alexander WAS a good coach. For some reason or another, he just failed to adapt to the new NFL. That, and the debacle of Bodine/Of/Fish were ultimately his undoing.

Yes, as assistant HC, I feel comfortable saying he had a lot more input than your run of the mill oline coach. That was a problem too.

And Fred...... it's largely due to optics. If someone can hang around 20 plus years, and the team was a dog for 10 plus years of that run, and then underperform themselves for the last several years, it sends a bad message to everyone in any organization/business.

re: Bodine - What other team has a hole at Center and throws a 4th Round pick at it and doesn't atleast bring in a veteran to compete for the job?

Bodine was largely on the front office.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:00 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: They do indeed.  Paul was very effective early on in Marvin Lewis' tenure but let's be completely honest:  It would take a screwed up psycho to mess up great linemen like Rich Braham, Willie Anderson, and Levi Jones. 

Willie Anderson was great.   Not so much the other two. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Braham was signed off the streets after the Cards cut him.  Alexander was the one that turned him into that "great lineman".
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: Bodine - What other team has a hole at Center and throws a 4th Round pick at it and doesn't atleast bring in a veteran to compete for the job?

Agreed....but then we had that infamous "witch hunt" presser. I think he got a bit too arrogant toward the end of his tenure.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: Bodine - What other team has a hole at Center and throws a 4th Round pick at it and doesn't atleast bring in a veteran to compete for the job?

Bengals actually traded up in the draft to get Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:04 PM)kevin Wrote: Willie Anderson was great.   Not so much the other two. 

Levi Jones was an excellent LT.  He deserved the big contract he got after the '05 season, but he was injured in 2006 and never fully recovered.

Willie Anderson and Levi Jones were the highest paid tackle duo in the league.
Reply/Quote
If anyone listens to Sirius NFL they have Alexander on every Monday. Pat Kirwan absolutely loves him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's my point. At one time, Alexander WAS a good coach. For some reason or another, he just failed to adapt to the new NFL. That, and the debacle of Bodine/Og/Fish were ultimately his undoing.

And Fred...... it's largely due to optics. If someone can hang around 20 plus years, and the team was a dog for 10 plus years of that run, and then underperform themselves for the last several years, it sends a bad message to everyone in any organization/business. Also, Dick DID get fired.

It helps to have talent.  Some years Alexander had some like a Whitworth.  The problem is Mike Brown goes cheap and things any fat guy can block, and you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shot.   You can't coach up fat bozo's that have no business in the NFL.   The last 3 years the Bengals O Line very weak on talent, but Mike Brown has a history of going cheap on O Line.  Yesterday for example, the lack of talent at O Line is beyond coaching up.  They have no talent. Retreads like Smith.  It's like driving a car on bald tires.  End Result :  no running game and QB gets killed, something Mike Brown famous for.  Funny, Mike Brown refused to pay Smith years ago, but now that he is cheaper to sign, Mike is all for the cheap retread tire.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:16 PM)kevin Wrote:  but Mike Brown has a history of going cheap on O Line. 

No he doesn't.  That is a message board myth.  He has let THREE good o-linemen leave in free agency over a thirty year span.

-Steinbach got over-paid by the Browns, but what people don't remember is that 4 starters in that o-line were on expiring contracts and Mike paid the other three (Braham, Levi Jones, Willie Anderson).  In fact Jones and Anderson were the HIGHEST PAID tackle duo in the league.

-Whitworth got two big contract extensions from the Bengals including one in 2011 when he still had 2 years left under contract.  Mike Brown paid him well until he was 36.  Many other teams would have made the same decision to move on from a player at that age.

-Zeitler got overpaid also.

Mike Brown paid Bobbie Williams well to keep him here.  Mike Brown used the franchise tag to keep an OT here (Stacy Andrews), and just last year Mike traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league.

The Bengals may not be the best at choosing O-linemen, but the problem is not Mike Brown being cheap with O-linemen.  If every other team pays all their O-linemen then where do all of these high priced free agent O-linemen come from every year?
Reply/Quote
The trickling effect of losing Whit cannot be emphasized enough. Bengals offered Whit the same money but not the years he was looking for. That mistake by the front office has rippled to the o-line to this day. Losing Whit and his leadership hurt. I will give it to Alexander for developing Whit.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:42 AM)Wyche Wrote:  Is Piano Man employed anywhere? I think there's your answer. 

Of course he has a job.

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/germany-potsdam-royals-sign-ex-cincinnati-bengals-coach-paul-alexander-as-offensive-consultant/

The Potsdam Royals from the German Football League have added a huge boost to their coaching staff  with the signing of long-time offensive line coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, Paul Alexander.

Alexander, who Sports Illustrated named as a member of the “Ulimate NFL Coaching Staff” in 2016, is joining the Royals as an offensive consultant for the 2019 season.
Reply/Quote
why didn't we keep the o line coach we hired from Cowboys?

Their run blocking with similar personnel was way better at the end of last season than the non-existent blocking we see now.

Maybe someone has addressed this earlier.

Paul Alexander is a smart guy and I like listening to him when he is on NFL radio. I wish him the best. We do not need him to come back as o line coach.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 10:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I joke, but I saw this...so he must have been doing something right:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would say that has more to do with whitworth than anything... 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If anyone listens to Sirius NFL they have Alexander on every Monday. Pat Kirwan absolutely loves him.
Good for him!   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:33 AM)Wyche Wrote: Wasn't his fault? He "pounded the table" for Og and Fish! 

He is not a scout he is coach.  Duke should be able to draft Oline man.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
He can still teach technique. His big problem is he can't coach schemes for today's NFL.

We can always bring in Big Willie and his Willie Anderson Lineman Academy

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course he has a job.

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/germany-potsdam-royals-sign-ex-cincinnati-bengals-coach-paul-alexander-as-offensive-consultant/

The Potsdam Royals from the German Football League have added a huge boost to their coaching staff  with the signing of long-time offensive line coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, Paul Alexander.

Alexander, who Sports Illustrated named as a member of the “Ulimate NFL Coaching Staff” in 2016, is joining the Royals as an offensive consultant for the 2019 season.

Should have clarified.....IN THE NFL.

Reply/Quote