Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
We need a new punter
Robbins is just not getting the job done. Yesterday he one punt that went 19 yards, another punt that went 31 yards, one that went 43. His "long" punt of the day went 52 yards but he actually only punted the ball in the air close to 35 yards where the punt was so short the punt returner couldnt run up to it fast enough for a fair catch so it hit the ground and rolled another 17 yards. This guy is just not helping the team. Im not buying the whole "he doesnt have a bunch of return yards" excuses. When you have a punter that doesnt have a strong enough leg to consistently kick the ball more that 38 yards, of course he isnt going to have a bunch of return yards
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 02:55 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Robbins is just not getting the job done.  Yesterday he one punt that went 19 yards, another punt that went 31 yards, one that went 43.  His "long" punt of the day went 52 yards but he actually only punted the ball in the air close to 35 yards where the punt was so short the punt returner couldnt run up to it fast enough for a fair catch so it hit the ground and rolled another 17 yards.  This guy is just not helping the team.  Im not buying the whole "he doesnt have a bunch of return yards" excuses.   When you have a punter that doesnt have a strong enough leg to consistently kick the ball more that 38 yards, of course he isnt going to have a bunch of return yards

Bring back Drew Christman, as Brad Robbins is really going to cost us.
Don't mock kids who believe in Santa, while adults still believe in Fox News.  

Reply/Quote
Yeah he just hasn't been what you might expect from a drafted Punter for sure.

His stats are basically the exact same as the Saints' punter. Difference being Hedley has more punts inside the 20 (probably a field position thing rather than Robbins' fault specifically)... and Hedley was undrafted.

Not great when you've spent a draft pick on a guy who is putting up 'undrafted' numbers, but there we are. I'm ok with trying him again next year in the hope he improves, but I think he should face offseason competition.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 03:00 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Bring back Drew Christman, as Brad Robbins is really going to cost us.

If we brought back "Bullet punt" Drue, people would appreciate Robbins a bit more. If my choice is 43.7/41.4 AVG/NET who doesn't really allow many returns vs a 47.8/42.6 AVG/NET who allows returns on half his punts, including ones at the worst possible time to get us eliminated from the playoffs, I'll take the former. The hand full of average and net yards is not worth the risk of a huge return to me.

Of course, the ideal scenario is to have signed or drafted a player that is better than both of them. Someone who can get Robbins' hang time while getting 5 to 6 more yards on average.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 03:03 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yeah he just hasn't been what you might expect from a drafted Punter for sure.

His stats are basically the exact same as the Saints' punter. Difference being Hedley has more punts inside the 20 (probably a field position thing rather than Robbins' fault specifically)... and Hedley was undrafted.

Not great when you've spent a draft pick on a guy who is putting up 'undrafted' numbers, but there we are. I'm ok with trying him again next year in the hope he improves, but I think he should face offseason competition.

Hedley has put more punts inside the 20 (24 vs 14 from Robbins) and yet he still has less touchbacks (4 touchbacks) than Robbins (5 touchbacks)  

This means for every 6 times Hedley is able to pin teams inside their 20 he gives up 1 touchback.  Robbins by comparison kicks the ball into the endzone 1 time for every 2.8 times he pins a team inside their 20. Hedley is doing a much better job not kicking the ball in the endzone and pinning teams back inside the 20
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 03:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If we brought back "Bullet punt" Drue, people would appreciate Robbins a bit more. If my choice is 43.7/41.4 AVG/NET who doesn't really allow many returns vs a 47.8/42.6 AVG/NET who allows returns on half his punts, including ones at the worst possible time to get us eliminated from the playoffs, I'll take the former. The hand full of average and net yards is not worth the risk of a huge return to me.

Of course, the ideal scenario is to have signed or drafted a player that is better than both of them. Someone who can get Robbins' hang time while getting 5 to 6 more yards on average.

1. Illegal block in back on that punt and Hardman would've been tackled.
2. 1 bad punt out of 30 is forgiveable, especially when your replacement has a bad punt, every 2-3.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 03:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If we brought back "Bullet punt" Drue, people would appreciate Robbins a bit more. If my choice is 43.7/41.4 AVG/NET who doesn't really allow many returns vs a 47.8/42.6 AVG/NET who allows returns on half his punts, including ones at the worst possible time to get us eliminated from the playoffs, I'll take the former. The hand full of average and net yards is not worth the risk of a huge return to me.

The problem is Robbins is regularly giving teams great field position because he is often only kicking the ball 35ish yards.  That 19 yard punt yesterday could just as easily be a 19 yard punt against K.C. in a playoff game.  The whole "he doesnt allow return yards" means nothing when he has punts of 19 or 31 yards.  OK he didnt allow a single punt return yesterday but he had punts of 19 and 31 yards so how is that anymore helpful?   
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 03:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Hedley has put more punts inside the 20 (24 vs 14 from Robbins) and yet he still has less touchbacks (4 touchbacks) than Robbins (5 touchbacks)  

This means for every 6 times Hedley is able to pin teams inside their 20 he gives up 1 touchback.  Robbins by comparison kicks the ball into the endzone 1 time for every 2.8 times he pins a team inside their 20.  Hedley is doing a much better job not kicking the ball in the endzone and pinning teams back inside the 20

Not defending Robbins here, but all depends where those punts are coming from really. Both punters seem to have pretty much the exact same leg, and give up the same return... it might just be that Hedley has been able to punt further down the field more often than Robbins.
Reply/Quote
Robbins is second to last in the NFL in AVG yardage: https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting

I suppose analyze that stat however you want.
Reply/Quote
I'm all in favor of improving any and all positions. That said, who is available (or would be in the offseason) that could realistically replace Robbins?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Robbins has a 39.7 NET

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChriDr00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RobbBr00.htm

Yes, Drue had half the punts that Robbins has, but Brad is worse across the board in EVERY category.

In half the punts, Drue only had 1 less in20 (13) than Robbins has (14).

Hangtime means nothing if you can't flip the field.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Robbins has been a disappointment. Burn another late round draft pick or bring in an undrafted free agent in April to compete for the job, I guess.
Reply/Quote
I was hoping for more out of Robbins. With that said, Bengals tend to hold on to players that underperform for an additional year. If he underperforms next year, they will draft another punter.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I miss mediocre Kevin Huber right about now. even getting up there he always came up with a clutch punt when it mattered.
Reply/Quote
I don’t get it. Adam Korsak won the Ray Guy award for best punter in the nation last year. Set the NCAA career punts and career punt yards record. Had like 150 punts in a row with out a touchback.

Spent some time in camp with the Steelers and Chiefs. And then went to kick for a CFL team this year. Had a 90 yard punt…

Sure Robins is better than some random guy off the street. But let’s kick some freaking tires and see what else is out there.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 04:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Robbins has a 39.7 NET

Weird, ESPN's website disagrees with itself. They list Robbins' net as 39.7 on his player page, but they list the Bengals' team punting net (of which only Robbins has been the punter) at 41.4
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/special/stat/punting/table/punting/sort/netAvgPuntYards/dir/desc
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 04:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I don’t get it. Adam Korsak won the Ray Guy award for best punter in the nation last year. Set the NCAA career punts and career punt yards record. Had like 150 punts in a row with out a touchback.

Spent some time in camp with the Steelers and Chiefs. And then went to kick for a CFL team this year. Had a 90 yard punt…

Sure Robins is better than some random guy off the street. But let’s kick some freaking tires and see what else is out there.

I wasnt a fan of Korsak when I watched how he punted.  He does that rugby style thing where he holds onto the ball a little longer and runs to his right to give his guys more time to get downfield before he punts it.  I dont think that would be as effective in the NFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUD3_qLE-b0
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 03:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. Illegal block in back on that punt and Hardman would've been tackled.
2. 1 bad punt out of 30 is forgiveable, especially when your replacement has a bad punt, every 2-3.

1. Let's not play the refs bad game. The punt was horrific. Straight down the center with a hang time of like 3 seconds.
2. the problem wasn't 1 punt. Drue had the worst hang time of any punter last season, iirc. He was (and still would be) a ticking time bomb for a horrible punt return at any time. And his average is only a few yards higher than Robbins'. They are both terrible, but Drue can ruin a game.

(12-11-2023, 03:44 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The problem is Robbins is regularly giving teams great field position because he is often only kicking the ball 35ish yards.  That 19 yard punt yesterday could just as easily be a 19 yard punt against K.C. in a playoff game.  The whole "he doesnt allow return yards" means nothing when he has punts of 19 or 31 yards.  OK he didnt allow a single punt return yesterday but he had punts of 19 and 31 yards so how is that anymore helpful?   

That 19 yard punt was brutal. I have no idea why the Bengals just let it continue to bounce forward for like 10 yards. If you see the ball bouncing against your team, you down it, you don't watch it bounce.

As bad as the 31 yard punt was, it still beats the 25 net punt we got from Drue against KC.

The bottom line is they both suck. We need a new punter bad.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 04:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm all in favor of improving any and all positions. That said, who is available (or would be in the offseason) that could realistically replace Robbins?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVdzdblSp6xGNGXxIPOgn...g&usqp=CAU][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBGN87_W3uWeLsbCckpFs...w&usqp=CAU]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote