Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need a really big pump
...to get rid of all these crocodile tears so we don't all drown in liquid sorrow.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
You know, I was really down after the game, but I gotta say, for as bad as the D was in spurts yesterday, I thought we played them toe-to-toe! Very disappointed we lost, but still believe in this team!
Reply/Quote
Tears are one thing, but some of the truly OTT vitriol I saw being spewed towards the players yesterday was disgusting.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Losing on a missed call is never a fun way to go down. Just gotta get back up and go on.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Losing on a missed call is never a fun way to go down. Just gotta get back up and go on.

It was a bad call, but the defensive line... the “strength” of our defense was the worst part of the entire team yesterday.

Let that sink in.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:34 PM)McC Wrote: ...to get rid of all these crocodile tears so we don't all drown in liquid sorrow.

What's to cry about?  The Steelers beat us for the 7th time in a row.  Anyone crying over this clearly hasn't been paying attention.  I hoped for the best, and I didn't KNOW the Steelers would win, but I wasn't participating in the "Holy crap, this team is different" or the "You guys...we're so confident and quiet now" threads either, so I guess I don't count.

As I said before, a Bengals vs Steelers game often looks like a match between some guy with an Iraqi flag and Hulk Hogan.  You know in your heart who is going to win, but sometimes you get a compelling promo that makes you think the underdog has a chance.  The Hulkster looks like he's down....yes, this is finally the end of Hulkamania!  The fans of the evil heel chuckle with glee!  No wait...the Hulkster is up!  He hits the same finisher he's hit 1000 times before, and his fans go wild for the 1000th time!  It's a fake-ass miracle! He always wins! His fans are so lucky!

Rinse and repeat.  
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 01:04 PM)Deacon Wrote: Great take, Nate. I'll respectfully disagree about the team not being different, though. At least the players. We didn't get suckered into reacting, and it did look like we kept our discipline through most of the game.
Also, when it came time for the O to drive down field with less than 5 minutes on the clock, we didn't deflate. They looked confident that the game was not out of reach. That's different in my book. Your opinion is totally valid, though. I just see that it's not 100% the same story as before. Certainly we can agree that Van Pelt + Lazor have done wonders with our offense from last year.

I'm not letting the D off the hook and I'm not saying OMG SUPERBOWL or anything like that. I wanted to buy in and I drank a bit of the kool-aid. Maybe it's confirmation bias, but I think we're a better team than last year and with the right pieces we can be competitive and (probably not this year) get that playoff monkey off our back.

Though I'm starting to see the light, and it's unlikely we will see major progress until MB fully releases the reins, hires a serious GM, and we get some coaching changes. 

I still think we're a year away.  Just don't have good enough LB's.  And we desperately need a NT.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 01:07 PM)McC Wrote: I still think we're a year away.  Just don't have good enough LB's.  And we desperately need a NT.

And 2 or 3 OL.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 01:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And 2 or 3 OL.

I think one--a LT who would allow Glenn to move to RT.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 01:11 PM)McC Wrote: I think one--a LT who would allow Glenn to move to RT.

What about RG? Redmond is awful. And Pollack must not feel Westerman is the answer.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 01:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What about RG? Redmond is awful. And Pollack must not feel Westerman is the answer.

If you shore up the RT spot, the RG spot can be dealt with.  And you can get a RG after the first couple rounds.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 01:04 PM)Deacon Wrote: Great take, Nate. I'll respectfully disagree about the team not being different, though. At least the players. We didn't get suckered into reacting, and it did look like we kept our discipline through most of the game.
Also, when it came time for the O to drive down field with less than 5 minutes on the clock, we didn't deflate. They looked confident that the game was not out of reach. That's different in my book. Your opinion is totally valid, though. I just see that it's not 100% the same story as before. Certainly we can agree that Van Pelt + Lazor have done wonders with our offense from last year.

Well, I get what you are saying and I'm not closing the book on this team for sure.  Still, there are certain organizations that just don't win in the NFL and everyone knows it.  The Chargers, Lions, Bengals, new Browns, the Bills outside of some success over 25 years ago, and the Cardinals seem to be franchises that have had talent...sometimes HOF talent come up short time and time again.

Confidence is great, but being confident in a loss gets spun into some negative stuff.  Anyways, get 'em next week...or something.

(10-15-2018, 01:07 PM)McC Wrote: I still think we're a year away.  Just don't have good enough LB's.  And we desperately need a NT.

Ida know...I know it's a different sport but the Cubs were "a year away" for over a century.  Then they made the point to get the best GM and the best manager in baseball in order to kill the "curse."  Everything prior to that was shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, or something.

MB will never give up power, fine...but if this team is really as ultra talented as we think it is I'd rather see a new HC now and not when Dalton has left town to play for the Jaguars/Texans etc. and we are a 3-13 craphole.
Reply/Quote

Not sure LB will be addressed early in next draft. 

But NT and OL is a must. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tears are one thing, but some of the truly OTT vitriol I saw being spewed towards the players yesterday was disgusting.

Absolutely

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 01:21 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not sure LB will be addressed early in next draft. 

But NT and OL is a must. 

I'm sure you're right on that.   If only Marvin could get the lb whisperer myth out of his head.  Not only is he bad at developing them, he really suxx at drafting them too.

Reply/Quote
These current Bengal linebackers make Rey Maualuga look like Usain Bolt in comparison.
Reply/Quote

I'm not letting the D off the hook and I'm not saying OMG SUPERBOWL or anything like that. I wanted to buy in and I drank a bit of the kool-aid. Maybe it's confirmation bias, but I think we're a better team than last year and with the right pieces we can be competitive and (probably not this year) get that playoff monkey off our back.

Though I'm starting to see the light, and it's unlikely we will see major progress until MB fully releases the reins, hires a serious GM, and we get some coaching changes. 

Wonderful reply......

I agree.  The team is different.  They never seem to be out of it, and they haven't been rattled, even in the 2 losses.  That may change down the stretch, it may not.

Lazor, Van Pelt, Pollack, and Bicknell have been great additions.

I said at the start of camp I felt this team was a year away, it's in the prediction threads.  I felt like this was a 9-7 team, and that it would be much improved.  I stand by that, although I now feel they may win another game or two.  There were too many holes to plug in one offseason, but they at least made an effort (Glenn and Price for starters, and how about Hubbard?), and they cleaned house on the offensive staff.  If they can just stay positive, and plug some more holes next offseason, they should have a pretty damn good football team.  Plus, the young guys are playing and will be more experienced.

Lord knows I've never been a Kool Aid drinker.....but this is my realist take.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote