Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need offense...BAD
Over the last four seasons this team is 21-42-1 Four of those wins were against a Browns team that went 1-31 in 2016/17 Nine of those wins were against teams (including Browns) with five wins or less for the season.

We knocked the Ravens and Lions out of playoffs couple years ago. Beat a Colts team that was decent, beat ok Dolphins and Titans teams I believe ? But the point is the bulk of those 21 wins have been against the bottom feeders of the NFL.

We haven't been able to force our will on anybody who is anybody for quite some time !

In 2019 we finished 26th in yards per game, 30th in points per game, 25th in rushing, 19th in passing.
In 2018 we finished 26th in yards, 17th in points, 21st in rushing, 24th in passing.
In 2017 we finished 32nd in yards, 26th in points, 31st in rushing, 27th in passing.
In 2016 we finished 23rd in yards, 22nd in points, 13th in rushing, 15th in passing.

We've been at or near the bottom on offense for four years running now with a couple exceptions being around middle. But overall we get a grade of bad, in fact very bad. We averaged scoring like 17 points per game last year.

We've played 64 games in those four years and 256 quarters. We've been ahead in 95 of those quarters including final score. Nearly 2/3 of the time we've been playing from behind. The other team is dictating the flow of the game.

Thing is in my mind we need to go heavy in the draft on offense. If a good WR is there at 33 they need to snatch him up. Aiyuk,Reagor, J. Jefferson, Mims. I just don't trust our WR corps.

We need to get a guard or two guards or OT and probably double dip at WR. Another TE ? We need to put Burrow in a good position ! I doubt they're gonna get any offense in free agency ?

And I get it, our defense has sucked as well. But hopefully they'll get a LBer and decent CB in free agency, perhaps even a DT ?

But in order to turn this thing around we've got to start forcing our will, dictating the pace, make them play from behind.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Over the last four seasons this team is 21-42-1 Four of those wins were against a Browns team that went 1-31 in 2016/17 Nine of those wins were against teams (including Browns) with five wins or less for the season.

We knocked the Ravens and Lions out of playoffs couple years ago. Beat a Colts team that was decent, beat ok Dolphins and Titans teams I believe ? But the point is the bulk of those 21 wins have been against the bottom feeders of the NFL.

We haven't been able to force our will on anybody who is anybody for quite some time !

In 2019 we finished 26th in yards per game, 30th in points per game, 25th in rushing, 19th in passing.
In 2018 we finished 26th in yards, 17th in points, 21st in rushing, 24th in passing.
In 2017 we finished 32nd in yards, 26th in points, 31st in rushing, 27th in passing.
In 2016 we finished 23rd in yards, 22nd in points, 13th in rushing, 15th in passing.

We've been at or near the bottom on offense for four years running now with a couple exceptions being around middle. But overall we get a grade of bad, in fact very bad. We averaged scoring like 17 points per game last year.

We've played 64 games in those four years and 256 quarters. We've been ahead in 95 of those quarters including final score. Nearly 2/3 of the time we've been playing from behind. The other team is dictating the flow of the game.

Thing is in my mind we need to go heavy in the draft on offense. If a good WR is there at 33 they need to snatch him up. Aiyuk,Reagor, J. Jefferson, Mims. I just don't trust our WR corps.

We need to get a guard or two guards or OT and probably double dip at WR. Another TE ? We need to put Burrow in a good position ! I doubt they're gonna get any offense in free agency ?

And I get it, our defense has sucked as well. But hopefully they'll get a LBer and decent CB in free agency, perhaps even a DT ?

But in order to turn this thing around we've got to start forcing our will, dictating the pace, make them play from behind.
Doesn't drafting Joe Burrow count as going heavy on offense?   This year the Bengals are at the top of each round, they have the opportunity to have significant cap room and the staff has had a full year to get their act together.  Plus on offense they get Jonah and Green plus the realization of how to use Mixon.  Not all gloom and doom.

Now we'll find out if the Bengals are smart enough inside the front office to contend for the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
We need BOTH offense and defense.  Neither one wins without the other.

'16-'19...….OFF....DEF
Yards...…....29th....31st
Points........28th.....22nd
Yds/pl........28th.....25th
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:50 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Doesn't drafting Joe Burrow count as going heavy on offense?   This year the Bengals are at the top of each round, they have the opportunity to have significant cap room and the staff has had a full year to get their act together.  Plus on offense they get Jonah and Green plus the realization of how to use Mixon.  Not all gloom and doom.

Now we'll find out if the Bengals are smart enough inside the front office to contend for the playoffs.

Indeed it's not all doom and gloom ! And getting Burrow is great. I'm just hoping the Bengals do right by him and get rid of some dead wood and don't sit on their hands as usual.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Over the last four seasons this team is 21-42-1 Four of those wins were against a Browns team that went 1-31 in 2016/17 Nine of those wins were against teams (including Browns) with five wins or less for the season.

No We need a person that can offensively game plan and play call something we have not had in  Zampease Lazor or Taylor (yet) and their will be no change their in personel so Hope for big strides.
Reply/Quote
Injuries to Green and Dalton along with other lesser performers like Ross and Eifert have stunted the potential of this offense.

Adding a healthy Burrow would boost those numbers tremendously.

The Bengals are a team that if the stars aligned and were healthy all at once would be a pretty good offense, it just never seems to happen.
Reply/Quote
Thing is, a really good defense can carry an average to below average offense pretty far.

Always been in board with more weapons and going BPA at 33 or even trading back for more picks, but my money is on D for at least one of the top 3 picks right now, maybe 2.
Reply/Quote
Burrow 1st
Justin Jefferson 2nd
Defense all other picks
Reply/Quote
Having a dynamic 2nd round TE in Sample back should help this offense ! But yeah in all seriousness this roster has so many holes you can make a case for both defense and offense.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 02:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Adding a healthy Burrow would boost those numbers tremendously.

Don't forget Jonah also.
Reply/Quote
We need new owner, BAD
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 05:31 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Having a dynamic 2nd round TE in Sample back should help this offense ! But yeah in all seriousness this roster has so many holes you can make a case for both defense and offense.

Sorry, but I think you have good point there. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 08:03 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We need new owner, BAD

that ain't happening anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully in year 2 under ZT/BC offense guys will be more
Comfortable and they go out make plays without
Overthinking their assignments
This is a league where the rules favor the execution
Of the offense. This offense needs as many as offensive
Talents they can bring in that have high ceilings
I would not be upset if the 33rd pick was a WR.
A talent like Burrow can really prosper early if he has some
Legit dynamic playmakers right out the gate
This offense needs a WR that can hit a 2nd gear and be a threat at the 3rd level.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 05:18 PM)scorp1974 Wrote: Burrow 1st
Justin Jefferson 2nd
Defense all other picks

I been saying this too... 
Reply/Quote
We're getting offense in this draft with Burrow + Williams + Green coming back from injury.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Justin Jefferson 2nd
Defense all other picks

I'd be ok with this, but I'm not sure Jefferson will still be on the board at 33.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 02:18 AM)J24 Wrote: We're getting offense in this draft with Burrow + Williams + Green coming back from injury.

Agreed but if AJ doesn't return you replace him with a FA or the draft. The biggest challenge is to improve the 0-line. Even with the return of Williams they are still going to need some help.  We will be in good shape with Mixon and Burrow and adequate with AJ(or FA),  Ross , Boyd at WR.  A little shaky at TE but the talent is there. I would say get an o-lineman or two somewhere in the draft and spend the rest on defense.
Reply/Quote
Justin Jefferson 2nd
Defense all other picks

I am 100% on board with this so long as we address o-line in free agency. I really like the thought of Jefferson with the 2nd pick if he is there because Burrow will already have chemistry.

To the point of the OP though, the biggest thing that stood out to me was red zone offense last year. It was equal parts play calling and execution. Both were atrocious. Will definitely need to be better this year.
Reply/Quote

Completely agree about needing another WR.  My hope is that we can slide a few spaces at 33 and gain an additional 3rd rounder and get the WR AND the Guard with, essentially, the one pick.  Defensively, I really want to see them make a play for a ballhawking, rangy SS that will push Williams out of the lineup.  
Reply/Quote