Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need to find a way to draft Zach Baun and not Patrick Queen
Some feel that Baun can transition into an off-ball LB with some time and practice, but he'll likely start out as a 3-4 OLB who rushes the passer.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we need an edge OLB more than more stack Backers. Baun fits this well.

Baun is the bomb.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 01:04 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Who? Quarterman? Yeah, even if he's only a 2 down LB, he's a damn good 2 down LB. 

No!! I like Logan WIlson much better and he can play inside or outside. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 10:04 PM)pulses Wrote: No!! I like Logan WIlson much better and he can play inside or outside. 

I could be happy with Wilson in the 4th...maybe the 3rd, depending on which WR we're targeting. Right now, I'm favoring Antonio Gibson out of Memphis. He's a WR & RB. He'd be a nice replacement for Gio. We could let him spell Mixon on some series, and he could play WR on others. He's got freakish quicks, speed, and ability to break tackles. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 08:15 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: The second round draft pick is clearly the largest point of contention for this draft considering that we are drafting Joe Burrow number one. While we still have needs on the oline, we are much more thin at the LB position even after our free agent acquisitions. Germaine Pratt shows promise as a WILL which has been coveted in the first recently (Devin Bush and Devin White and what will probably be Kenneth Murray), and Josh Bynes, from other fan accounts, is a decent Mike option in the short term. But we don't have a true SAM. Zach Baun is probably the best prospect at this position and from this film (Link) I am sold.

Patrick Queen's film, on the other hand, shows promise in pass coverage but does not make plays in the run that give me confidence he will translate to the NFL unless he is used situationally. This does not mean I don't think he will become a full time starter, but I am more confident in Zach Baun than Patrick Queen at this time.

Other prospects that are on the verge of the first that I would be equally happy to draft: Josh Jones, Lucas Niang, and AJ Epenesa.

Prospects that I would be happy with but we don't have as much need: Justin Jefferson, possibly Denzel Mims

Possible Trades: Carlos Dunlap considering we are transitioning to a 3-4 which is why I have AJ Epenesa above.

Players I have seen mocked but I don't want: Cesar Ruiz unless you think Trey Hopkins can move to guard, Austin Jackson - Ogbuehi 2.0, Grant Delpit unless he returns to 2018 form but good safeties seem to be traded/cut which tells me that good safeties are not highly value around the league so why spend a second rounder on one when we still have Bates. A strong safety could still be an option but I don't see any decent options at the pick.

Pat Kerwin on Sirius XM the other day said that he spent the week at the Senior Bowl watching both Baun and Malik Harrison; and, Harrison impressed him more. He ended up trading down a few spots in the 2nd and grabbing Harrison with Baun on the board in their Mock Draft. BTW, did you see Harrison sky for his INT in the Senior Bowl??? Dude started out as a WR and he can get up there man!
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 08:15 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: The second round draft pick is clearly the largest point of contention for this draft considering that we are drafting Joe Burrow number one. While we still have needs on the oline, we are much more thin at the LB position even after our free agent acquisitions. Germaine Pratt shows promise as a WILL which has been coveted in the first recently (Devin Bush and Devin White and what will probably be Kenneth Murray), and Josh Bynes, from other fan accounts, is a decent Mike option in the short term. But we don't have a true SAM. Zach Baun is probably the best prospect at this position and from this film (Link) I am sold.

Patrick Queen's film, on the other hand, shows promise in pass coverage but does not make plays in the run that give me confidence he will translate to the NFL unless he is used situationally. This does not mean I don't think he will become a full time starter, but I am more confident in Zach Baun than Patrick Queen at this time.

Other prospects that are on the verge of the first that I would be equally happy to draft: Josh Jones, Lucas Niang, and AJ Epenesa.

Prospects that I would be happy with but we don't have as much need: Justin Jefferson, possibly Denzel Mims

Possible Trades: Carlos Dunlap considering we are transitioning to a 3-4 which is why I have AJ Epenesa above.

Players I have seen mocked but I don't want: Cesar Ruiz unless you think Trey Hopkins can move to guard, Austin Jackson - Ogbuehi 2.0, Grant Delpit unless he returns to 2018 form but good safeties seem to be traded/cut which tells me that good safeties are not highly value around the league so why spend a second rounder on one when we still have Bates. A strong safety could still be an option but I don't see any decent options at the pick.

So here's the deal.  Patrick isn't as good on tape, but he's 20 years old and has a much better athletic profile than Baun who was a 4 year starter.  Personally I don't like either and Would rather get a gaither later on in the draft than spend a high draft pick, but out of the two Patrick fits more positions and has a higher upside.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 05:12 PM)Okeana Wrote: So here's the deal.  Patrick isn't as good on tape, but he's 20 years old and has a much better athletic profile than Baun who was a 4 year starter.  Personally I don't like either and Would rather get a gaither later on in the draft than spend a high draft pick, but out of the two Patrick fits more positions and has a higher upside.

Really about all I know about most prospects is what other people say.  Therefore, I have no idea who fits us better.

But, judging what I have heard ZT and Lou say, they value versatility.  What they want to have are guys who will be on the field and not have their mere presence tip off offenses as to what is coming.

WTS, which of these two guys fits that description best?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 05:34 PM)McC Wrote: Really about all I know about most prospects is what other people say.  Therefore, I have no idea who fits us better.

But, judging what I have heard ZT and Lou say, they value versatility.  What they want to have are guys who will be on the field and not have their mere presence tip off offenses as to what is coming.

WTS, which of these two guys fits that description best?

Patrick has the potential to do everything Baun does and more.  He has proven himself on the highest stage in college football in the Clemson game and he's super young.  It all depends on what you value in a prospect.  Both guys are boom or bust prospects which is why I would avoid any of these early linebackers.  I would much rather draft a guy like Isaiah Wilson or Ruiz who have the potential to give you pro bowl play for the next 10 years and draft one of these later linebackers.  Everyone in this class from a pure linebacker standpoint have pretty much the same style of play.  You have guys who are slightly undersized, who move well, and can cover.  

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 05:38 PM)Okeana Wrote: Patrick has the potential to do everything Baun does and more.  He has proven himself on the highest stage in college football in the Clemson game and he's super young.  It all depends on what you value in a prospect.  Both guys are boom or bust prospects which is why I would avoid any of these early linebackers.  I would much rather draft a guy like Isaiah Wilson or Ruiz who have the potential to give you pro bowl play for the next 10 years and draft one of these later linebackers.  Everyone in this class from a pure linebacker standpoint have pretty much the same style of play.  You have guys who are slightly undersized, who move well, and can cover.  

I've seen plenty of mocks with both of them gone before 33.  So, you're saying if that's the case, it's better for us to not even be able to draft either? 

I just want the LB problem fixed before I'm dead and gone, once and for all, enough is enough.  Can that be done in this draft without Queen or Baum?  Most people seem to think we need both an ILB and an OLB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 05:43 PM)McC Wrote: I've seen plenty of mocks with both of them gone before 33.  So, you're saying if that's the case, it's better for us to not even be able to draft either? 

I just want the LB problem fixed before I'm dead and gone, once and for all, enough is enough.  Can that be done in this draft without Queen or Baum?  Most people seem to think we need both an ILB and an OLB.

If i had to pick a guy out of the two it would be Queen.  Either is strong picks in a vacuum and can fit the system if used correctly.  

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 05:47 PM)Okeana Wrote: If i had to pick a guy out of the two it would be Queen.  Either is strong picks in a vacuum and can fit the system if used correctly.  

So, if one of them was the pick, you could live with it?  Wouldn't be ideal to you, but you could get behind it?

Personally, I'm hoping one of the OT's falls and becomes our new RT.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 05:49 PM)McC Wrote: So, if one of them was the pick, you could live with it?  Wouldn't be ideal to you, but you could get behind it?

Personally, I'm hoping one of the OT's falls and becomes our new RT.

Exactly or a Wide Receiver that you feel has the potential to replace AJ Green.  He could go out in the first game and his toe falls off then we're stuck.  Adding talent in such a good WR class is not a bad thing.  A guy like Chase Claypool or Denzel Mims could be in play.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 06:31 PM)Okeana Wrote: Exactly or a Wide Receiver that you feel has the potential to replace AJ Green.  He could go out in the first game and his toe falls off then we're stuck.  Adding talent in such a good WR class is not a bad thing.  A guy like Chase Claypool or Denzel Mims could be in play.

I'd be okay with that too.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 05:38 PM)Okeana Wrote: Patrick has the potential to do everything Baun does and more.  He has proven himself on the highest stage in college football in the Clemson game and he's super young.  It all depends on what you value in a prospect.  Both guys are boom or bust prospects which is why I would avoid any of these early linebackers.  I would much rather draft a guy like Isaiah Wilson or Ruiz who have the potential to give you pro bowl play for the next 10 years and draft one of these later linebackers.  Everyone in this class from a pure linebacker standpoint have pretty much the same style of play.  You have guys who are slightly undersized, who move well, and can cover.  

I just think Baun is more pro ready and every pick in the Draft is a boom or bust pick.

Baun is just solid in all aspects. I take that over a LB like Queen who has upside and a lack of production.

(04-07-2020, 06:31 PM)Okeana Wrote: Exactly or a Wide Receiver that you feel has the potential to replace AJ Green.  He could go out in the first game and his toe falls off then we're stuck.  Adding talent in such a good WR class is not a bad thing.  A guy like Chase Claypool or Denzel Mims could be in play.

Agree with this for sure, WR worries me with our injury history there and these guys could be replacements for AJ.

That is saying something right there.

Also all for OL at 33 or trade back and grab them and get Gaither, Dye, Logan Wilson or Weaver later.
Reply/Quote
I don't know a ton about alot of guys this year but what about Wilie Gay Jr later in the draft? Dudes 6'1 243 and ran a 4.46. Seen hes had some suspensions and not a ton of experience but getting a guy with those physical tools in 4-5 would be worth the risk for me.

I say take the best player available at 33 at LB, WR, OL. If it ends up being a LB then so be it but if not take a WR or OL and double dip at LB in rounds 3-5 with guys like Gaither, Dye, Harrison, Gay, or Jordyn Brooks.

Like I said I haven't done a ton of research this year but the LB talent in 3-5 seems to be a pretty good looking group.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 10:58 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I don't know a ton about alot of guys this year but what about Wilie Gay Jr later in the draft? Dudes 6'1 243 and ran a 4.46. Seen hes had some suspensions and not a ton of experience but getting a guy with those physical tools in 4-5 would be worth the risk for me.

I say take the best player available at 33 at LB, WR, OL. If it ends up being a LB then so be it but if not take a WR or OL and double dip at LB in rounds 3-5 with guys like Gaither, Dye, Harrison, Gay, or Jordyn Brooks.

Like I said I haven't done a ton of research this year but the LB talent in 3-5 seems to be a pretty good looking group.

Gay is all over the board. Just today I heard someone say he’s sneaking into the second round. Another draft pundit said he’s all athleticism, no instincts. That sounds like Malik Jefferson to me.

Bout it is smokescreen season. We will see soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

This makes a lot of sense... again the more I think about it the more I like going OLine. Our LBers were so terrible last year and not much on the shelf...
Reply/Quote
I don't think Baun solves that many problems that we have had with our defense. We really need a guy that can actually cover a RB or TE. Maybe they decide to scheme around it and use Williams and Bell as linebackers in our defense, but the following guys, to me, are better values:

Willie Gay
Jordryn Brooks
Evan Wilson
Troy Dye

I'd take any of these guys in round 3 over Baun in round two. I also don't think there's any way Baun is there at 33.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 12:02 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Gay is all over the board.  Just today I heard someone say he’s sneaking into the second round.  Another draft pundit said he’s all athleticism, no instincts.  That sounds like Malik Jefferson to me.  

Bout it is smokescreen season.  We will see soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have seen and read I would not like him that early, honestly with lack of starts, production, and the suspensions I wouldn't even look at him until round 4 where he could be worth the risk. I will say he interest me but not even close to enough to take him in rounds 2-3, that would be a mistake, and for sure not the only LB we take.

Ideally, we take a LB in 2-3 then another guy in 4-5.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 12:42 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: From what I have seen and read I would not like him that early, honestly with lack of starts, production, and the suspensions I wouldn't even look at him until round 4 where he could be worth the risk. I will say he interest me but not even close to enough to take him in rounds 2-3, that would be a mistake, and for sure not the only LB we take.

Ideally, we take a LB in 2-3 then another guy in 4-5.

Not that I'm a PFF guy, but Gay has a coverage score of 90 for his career.  That is exactly what this team needs in a linebacker.  I wouldn't take him at 33, but if he's there in round 3, I'm taking him.
Reply/Quote