Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
"We're not trading that guy"
is it strange for us to think what AJ Green's win ratio is, i.e. in past seasons how many games did we win because he was playing. what if we were basically mediocre this whole time because of AJ Green and we are trash worst in the league without him? Lol
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
They should. Green , Dalton and more. Start piling up picks, cutting salary and get ready to rebuild.

Start with that offensive line.

Get Finley in there now and see what he can do
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 08:15 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: They should.  Green , Dalton and more.  Start piling up picks, cutting salary and get ready to rebuild.

Start with that offensive line.

Get Finley in there now and see what he can do

Agreed, but will Finley die behind this line? Kind of like let Eli Manning die first, as they did.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 06:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if AZ can keep Their Start WR thru multiple rebuilds we can keep ours thru 1

This...

And to those saying that Mixon, Bates, and Boyd are the only keepers... Mixon is a dime a dozen player, Bates has been invisible this year, and Boyd can't move the needle by himself. He needs a true number 1 opposite of him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 06:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if AZ can keep Their Start WR thru multiple rebuilds we can keep ours thru 1

Fitz resigned for 11 mil guaranteed . AJ got 32 mil guaranteed on his last contract. No way he should get anywhere near that this contract.IMO
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Even if AJ had played in all 5 games this season, and performed to his typical standards of production, some fans would still be griping.  They would just be saying "But he's missed 14 of the last 38 games.  We can't give that guy $18M/per, he might stub his toe and miss a few games.  THEN where would we be??"

AJ is a good character guy who won't be suspended for incidents. To me, he's worth extending...and he is generally healthy for a decent amount of games a year...but yes he misses some time.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 09:25 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Fitz resigned for 11 mil guaranteed . AJ got 32 mil guaranteed on his last contract. No way he should get anywhere near that this contract.IMO

That was just a 1 year deal for 2019. Larry Fitzgerald signed a huge almost a decade long contract when he was in his late twenties. They paid him top receiver money until he was 35...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 08:07 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: is it strange for us to think what AJ Green's win ratio is, i.e. in past seasons how many games did we win because he was playing. what if we were basically mediocre this whole time because of AJ Green and we are trash worst in the league without him? Lol

The problem with star players is that the team relies on them A LOT, the coaches, teammates, etc.  They are difference makers but still an 11 player game.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 06:08 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is what happens you have have a young idealistic coach that sees the Bengals as a 3-2 team and not 0-5.  His assessment is based on potential so that it supports the confirmation bias that things are working.  

Things are NOT working and changes need to be made.  

Dalton is not the answer at QB now and Dalton will not be the answer in the future.  Jonah Williams is a unknown and fans do not know what he brings under Turner.  The O-Line and backers and apparently the secondary are a mess.  The team does not have sound fundamentals and there is no gap integrity by either line.  

If Taylor were to realistically assess the Bengals, and wants to win, he needs to have an understanding of core players and how to look in the future so that the team can win.  Dalton and Green are not the future and are past their prime.  

There are only three players on the team that are keepers in my eyes and that is Mixon, Bates, and Boyd.  Maybe WJ3, and he has regressed.  Maybe Hopkins but he gets no push at LOS.  I like Billings but I do not know if he is part of the core.  The rest are expendable.

This is also likely why the front office won't go 'all in' in free agency. They'll think that injuries did us in. They'll think that a staff with another year will make us better.

That said, the PFF rankings clearly show that nearly every player has gotten worse than last year. Putting AJ Green out there has nothing to do with how bad the defense looks. They've give up the most yards in franchise history through 5 games.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 08:58 PM)jason Wrote: This...

And to those saying that Mixon, Bates, and Boyd are the only keepers... Mixon is a dime a dozen player, Bates has been invisible this year, and Boyd can't move the needle by himself. He needs a true number 1 opposite of him.

Usually agree with you but Mixon is definitely not a dime a dozen player. No way. Yawn

I think most of the reason Bates has been invisible is communication just isn't there yet for some reason. Ballhawk and when
it rains it pours, he will get his, it is only his second year Geez. Boyd is our best player right now by far, we just need to use our
other players better...

More 2 TE sets to help out the OL, more of Mixon and Gio on the field at the same time, less 3 WR sets with rookies etc.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:33 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: AJ has missed 19 of the last 38 games. It is nice owning a Lamborghini until you have to pay to fix it. He has earned 89 million with the Bengals. If he wants huge upfront money I would let him walk. Gambling on a 32 year old injury prone receiver isn't really too smart. But hey we are the Bengals.

whats the over /under on how log it takes for AJ to re injure? ask yourselves do you cringe everytime he gets hit or lands funny on turf? Its not a good feeling...no durability,  
Sorry, I love AJ, but he is a china doll at this point...cut bait while he is seemingly healthy
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 09:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Usually agree with you but Mixon is definitely not a dime a dozen player. No way. Yawn

I think most of the reason Bates has been invisible is communication just isn't there yet for some reason. Ballhawk and when
it rains it pours, he will get his, it is only his second year Geez. Boyd is our best player right now by far, we just need to use our
other players better...

More 2 TE sets to help out the OL, more of Mixon and Gio on the field at the same time, less 3 WR sets with rookies etc.

The problem with more 2 TE sets is that Boyd is the only WR that can get open. Now, IF/WHEN Green comes back...that's a different story.
Reply/Quote

A lot of the players have gotten worse under this coaching staff.

Mixon led the AFC in rushing behind a bad line. Gio could never do that.

Reply/Quote

I think that is waaaayyyy too dismissive of Mixon, Bates and Boyd.  

The whole team is struggling but those three are definitely gonna be part of the solution going forward.

They are are young, talented and currently injury free - if they are not the keepers for a NFL team who are then???
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 09:39 PM)Synric Wrote: That was just a 1 year deal for 2019. Larry Fitzgerald signed a huge almost a decade long contract when he was in his late twenties. They paid him top receiver money until he was 35...
2016,2017,2018, 2019 all team friendly deals. 11 million /year. The huge contract he signed was for 7yrs/ 113 million which is 16 mil/ year. Signed that contract after back to back 1400+yd seasons. He has missed six games in 16 years. Aj has missed that many this year alone. Hard to compare apple and oranges.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 07:12 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: 2016,2017,2018, 2019 all team friendly deals. 11 million /year. The huge contract he signed was for 7yrs/ 113 million which is 16 mil/ year. Signed that contract after back to back 1400+yd seasons. He has missed six games in 16 years. Aj has missed that many this year alone. Hard to compare apple and oranges.

Larry earned 11 mil as salary those years but those werent his cap hits. In 2016/2017 it was 15.8mil 2018 16.8 mil.
https://overthecap.com/player/larry-fitzgerald/408/

In comparison AJ Greens base salary was actually less...He earned an average of 10mil a year but his cap hits were 13mil ish for 2016 2017 2018 and 15mil for 2019.
https://overthecap.com/player/a-j-green/156/

AJ Green's deal was more team friendly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 06:43 AM)sonofstat Wrote: I think that is waaaayyyy too dismissive of Mixon, Bates and Boyd.  

The whole team is struggling but those three are definitely gonna be part of the solution going forward.

They are are young, talented and currently injury free - if they are not the keepers for a NFL team who are then???

I'm being dismissive of Mixon. I like Boyd... as a number 2 receiver. He's already kept so that's a moot point. Bates looked like a star in the making last year. This season I've only noticed him making mistakes. Maybe there's something I e missed. I was pretty excited when they drafted Joe Mixon. Since then he's had injury problems, was a dud as a rookie, and had called out the fans after the team got waxed. On top of that, he's hinted that he may hold out next year. Again... RBs are a dime a dozen. It's certainly easier to find another Joe Mixon than it is to find another AJ Green.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 12:04 AM)BengalChris Wrote: A lot of the players have gotten worse under this coaching staff.

Mixon led the AFC in rushing behind a bad line. Gio could never do that.

The leading the AFC in rushing is a talking point more than it's some great accomplishment. Le'Veon Bell didn't play, Melvin Gordon got injured, Nick Chubb didn't start getting a healthy workload til the season was half over. Kareem Hunt didn't finish the season... And Elliot, Kamara, and Gurley are in the NFC. But yes; he lead the AFC in rushing.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If they don't re-sign AJ and all we get out of this is a comp pick, I'm going to piss on every Chevy Lumina I see. And in North Central Florida, I see a few.

I'll leave a letter of apology on each windshield that says "Sorry, Mike Brown made me piss on your car."
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 09:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Usually agree with you but Mixon is definitely not a dime a dozen player. No way. Yawn

other players better...

Yep

We're the 26th ranked offense in the NFL averaging 16 points a game. We're in 11 personnel (1RB, 1TE, 3 WR) the most in the NFL 83% of the time !

We need to get Eifert, Uzomah, Mixon, and Gio on the field more and more involved in the passing game. Mixon and Gio are both averaging like 2.5 catches a game, they need to double that. And not just the screens we can't run.

If we had AJ and Ross 11 personnel would make more sense.
Reply/Quote