Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're still not in good shape at LB. Any ideas?
Well, you're just not going to fill 3-4-5 needs in a draft and we had several on the team. OL was huge and Williams was a great pick.

Right now, I guess our starters would be Preston Brown, Vigil, and Jordan Evans or Pratt.

Evans really struggled last year and he struggled particularly in coverage. Brown looked slow and bad in coverage last year. He's more of a run thumper. Granted he led the league in Tackles 2 years ago, so maybe the injuries were his issue. Vigil looked like he improved last year.

Pratt is supposedly good in coverage which I like, but he's raw as he only started 1 year.

Maybe a guy like Jefferson improves too.

We have a lot of questionmarks at LB, and IF someone gets injured...we could be in really bad shape.

I'm hoping we can pick up a LB that is waived in free agency at some point.
Reply/Quote
I think they could actually still use 2 more LBs
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:09 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I think they could actually still use 2 more LBs

For sure. Guess we’ll have to pick up some other teams scraps. I just hope one position group doesn’t sink our entire season like we’ve seen the past few years...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I’d sign Zach Brown and go into the year with that. Think he’s still available
Reply/Quote
maybe look at Darron Lee or Jamie Collins who can be acquired on the cheap
Reply/Quote
Preston Brown was playing hurt a lot of the year. Before that he was fine and even then he missed a lot of time. Vigil for a good chunk of the season was playing LB by himself out there. I suspect we will be making one more pickup so we have three to run out there while Pratt is coached up.
Reply/Quote
I wish we could have gotten Tre Watson as an UDFA. I think he is going to be an outstanding LB if he is given a real chance to compete somewhere.

Now with that said, and Piston and I have discussed this in another thread, I think a big issue in the LB room may already be solved and that was by subtracting Haslett. I just think the modern game has passed him by. If you look at the measurables of some of the guys in that room they have the measurables you are looking for and check many of the boxes.

Jordan Evans 6'2" 233 ran a 4.50 Pro Day 40 as a senior he had 4 INTs and 8 PD

Malik Jefferson 6'2" 236 ran a 4.52 combine 40 where he is lacking is coverage stats but his abilities lend to him playing a MLB role.

Brandon Bell 6'1" 230 ran a 4.68 pro day 40 over his collegiate career he had 4 INTs and 6 PD

Of course we know what we have in Brown, Vigil, and Vinny but I would agree that we need to be looking at guys that are out there and see what we can bring in.
Reply/Quote
Pittsburgh just released Jon Bostic. He has multiple seasons with 70-90 tackles and should be available on the cheap.

He signed a 2 year/$4 million contract with them last year and he's only 27 years old. 4.61 forty at the combine.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:30 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I wish we could have gotten Tre Watson as an UDFA. I think he is going to be an outstanding LB if he is given a real chance to compete somewhere.

Now with that said, and Piston and I have discussed this in another thread, I think a big issue in the LB room may already be solved and that was by subtracting Haslett. I just think the modern game has passed him by. If you look at the measurables of some of the guys in that room they have the measurables you are looking for and check many of the boxes.

Malik Jefferson 6'2" 236 ran a 4.52 combine 40 where he is lacking is coverage stats but his abilities lend to him playing a MLB role.

Brandon Bell 6'1" 230 ran a 4.68 pro day 40 over his collegiate career he had 4 INTs and 6 PD

Of course we know what we have in Brown, Vigil, and Vinny but I would agree that we need to be looking at guys that are out there and see what we can bring in.

Vinny? We don't have a guy named that on our roster.

At least we have some guys who can run now with Evans, Jefferson, and Pratt to go with Vigil. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Pratt is supposedly good in coverage which I like, but he's raw as he only started 1 year.

There is a misconception about Germaine Pratt...he is not a cover linebacker.

Pratt has good drop and feel in zone coverages with a decent burst. In man hes physical while pressing it's very hard to run through him and hes physical at the top of the route in off man...but Pratt is stiff you dont want him trying to open his hips and chase TEs or WRs on post and corner routes.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Go after Darron Lee and/or sign Zach Brown or Jamie Collins.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:17 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I’d sign Zach Brown and go into the year with that. Think he’s still available

That would be a great move!

My criticism of the team is that they don't do enough upgrade sin free agency and it puts a lot of pressure on the draft to fill too many needs. It seems like LB and WR3/4 are what got squeezed out. But, you just aren't going to fill 3-4-5 starting needs in a draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: Preston Brown was playing hurt a lot of the year. Before that he was fine and even then he missed a lot of time. Vigil for a good chunk of the season was playing LB by himself out there. I suspect we will be making one more pickup so we have three to run out there while Pratt is coached up.

So even with that, IF you fill the starting 3 spots with a LB you sign...IF one gets injured, you're in trouble.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:23 PM)impactplaya Wrote: maybe look at Darron Lee or Jamie Collins who can be acquired on the cheap

Yup, these guys...or there should be some training camp cuts too.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:54 PM)Mobster Wrote: Vinny? We don't have a guy named that on our roster.

At least we have some guys who can run now with Evans, Jefferson, and Pratt to go with Vigil. 

Vinny is Vincent Rey.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:30 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I wish we could have gotten Tre Watson as an UDFA. I think he is going to be an outstanding LB if he is given a real chance to compete somewhere.

That definitely is another variable. IF the coaching can make Jefferson or one of the other guys better players...it's a huge gain.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pittsburgh just released Jon Bostic. He has multiple seasons with 70-90 tackles and should be available on the cheap.

He signed a 2 year/$4 million contract with them last year and he's only 27 years old. 4.61 forty at the combine.

Bostic was definitely above average there last year. For $2 million a year, it's a no brainer to sign him. He's capable of starting, but he'd also be a great 4th backer.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:16 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Vinny is Vincent Rey.

I thought Rey was a free agent?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That would be a great move!

My criticism of the team is that they don't do enough upgrade sin free agency and it puts a lot of pressure on the draft to fill too many needs. It seems like LB and WR3/4 are what got squeezed out. But, you just aren't going to fill 3-4-5 starting needs in a draft.

I think the coaching staff realizes that...and has some ideas about improving the guys on the roster. I bet they pick up 1 or 2 more LBs before its all said and done.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:58 PM)Synric Wrote: There is a misconception about Germaine Pratt...he is not a cover linebacker.

Pratt has good drop and feel in zone coverages with a decent burst. In man hes physical while pressing it's very hard to run through him and hes physical at the top of the route in off man...but Pratt is stiff you dont want him trying to open his hips and chase TEs or WRs on post and corner routes.

That's somewhat disappointing.
Reply/Quote