Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're still not in good shape at LB. Any ideas?
(05-15-2019, 11:19 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I'm not hurt that we didn't get Darron Lee. It's interesting that he went for a 6th round pick and we had a bunch of them this draft. We assumed that the Jets were looking for a higher pick. Chances are the Bengals probably knew he'd be handed down a suspension so they didn't want to deal with that.

Would've been an interesting get, though. He appears to be solid on the field and definitely would've been the 2nd best linebacker instantly. Now we have to convince ourselves that Deshaun Davis will be anything more than Vinny Rey.

Damn. We missed out. He was the 4th rated linebacker in coverage last year. Exactly what we needed.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:51 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Damn. We missed out. He was the 4th rated linebacker in coverage last year. Exactly what we needed.

Would much rather have Darron Lee than Rodney Anderson. Anderson likely hit his zenith in 2017 at Oklahoma, and is the RB equivalent to Eifert. Lee is a coverage LB that would fill the team’s greatest need. The LB corps is filled with underachievers and bums behind a thoroughly average Vigil/Brown and a Wildcard (Pratt).
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
A starting LB over a 4th string RB? Seems like a easy answer to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 10:32 AM)jj22 Wrote: A starting LB over a 4th string RB? Seems like a easy answer to me.

Didn't you just criticize Deshaun Davis by saying "he was just worth a sixth round pick for a reason"?

Why doesn't that same logic aply to Lee?
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Didn't you just criticize Deshaun Davis by saying "he was just worth a sixth round pick for a reason"?

Why doesn't that same logic aply to Lee?

No read my initial post on Davis and tell me why you (or anyone) thought I was attacking him. A poster did. Even though what I said had been legitimate and stated my multiple people in the tread and in scouting reports.

That was misdirected anger from posters likely because they didn't like something I've said in other threads and took the opportunity to take a shot at me. I was just stating what his scouting report said.

I said he was a 6th rounder for a reason to put expectations from fans into perspective.

But to answer your question, I'd support trading a 6th round pick for a known commodity. A 6th round draft pick on a rookie is a crap shoot. Likely ending up as a practice squad candidate/special teams contributor (more likely then the Tom Brady folks like to point to. Given they still use Tom Brady as an example after 19 years should let you know how rare that was). Worth a gamble no doubt, but certainly you'd use a pick that late for a known commodity if you had the opportunity to.

But for the record, this is my quote on Davis.

Quote:He's ok going downhill. Has good instincts. Speed, athleticism lacking. Tight hipped, poor coverage. Practice squad candidate.

Certainly not an attack on him. So yea, that was just an excuse to take a personal shot at me because of person I guess dislike of previous posts of mine. Which is unfortunate.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I would add that Ejuan Price was just cut by the Ravens and he was formerly drafted by the Rams. But he doesn't seem to be anything that commands attention. However his sack count at UPitt tied Aaron Donald's and ranks 4th at the university.

Former 7th rounder (2017) on his 2nd team. Some of his measurables (I don't think he saw the NFL field): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejuan_Price
Reply/Quote
Maybe the team is preparing to sign Cory Littleton when he becomes UFA next season. I really thought they would have gone after him this year until I saw he was RFA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:58 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The LB corps is filled with underachievers

And the answer is a former 1st round pick who is now just worth a 6th round pick?
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 04:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And the answer is a former 1st round pick who is now just worth a 6th round pick?

Nice. I like the irony. But "worth" is relative. I mean AB went for a 3rd and a 5th. I think he was better than Amari Cooper who went for a 1st rounder.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:58 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Would much rather have Darron Lee than Rodney Anderson.  Anderson likely hit his zenith in 2017 at Oklahoma, and is the RB equivalent to Eifert.  Lee is a coverage LB that would fill the team’s greatest need.  The LB corps is filled with underachievers and bums behind a thoroughly average Vigil/Brown and a Wildcard (Pratt).

How do you equate Darron Lee to Rodney Anderson? Lee is with a franchise and Anderson was in the draft. I was onboard with trading with the Jets to get Lee as well until I started looking into his off the field issues. Nope not interested any longer.
Reply/Quote
One thing that I don't know was pointed out was the Jets fired their GM then bam the next day they made this trade. I find that interesting.

Seems like their old GM was reluctant to part with a guy he drafted, but the new coach wanted him gone.

In that sort of scenario, I'd say there is some baggage with Lee that we may not want.
Reply/Quote