Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're still not in good shape at LB. Any ideas?
Any serious look at the LB corps has to include the injury problems. Lest we forget we had games where we ran out there Evans, Nickerson and Vigil. In those games it basically looked like Vigil was playing LB by himself with two goobers just standing in the other two spots. Even when they got Burflict back he looked awful. Vigil was easily our best LB last year.

Right now our LB starters are Brown and Vigil with possibly Pratt being the third unless we sign someone or trade. Assuming healthy players that is immediately a lot better than happened last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Some teams have holes and some teams have HOLES like the Bengals. Some can be filled with a single draft pick, some will need several picks to fill that hole. With three picks, the Bengals filled some big holes on the O-line by drafting two linemen and a top notch helper on the side. With two LB picks, they picked big upgrades over the departed Rey and the hopefully soon to be departed Nickerson.

Cincinnati Linebackers - They usually keep 6 so at least three of these are going to not make it. And Cincy may find a gem in the CFA class, they may actually sign one of the remaining FAs or wait on a cut veteran so four or five might not make the cut. Any ex-AAF players worth a look?

Preston Brown
Nick Vigil
Malik Jefferson
Jordan Evans
Chris Worley
Brandon Bell
Hardy Nickerson

Germaine Pratt
Deshaun Davis
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:55 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Some teams have holes and some teams have HOLES like the Bengals. Some can be filled with a single draft pick, some will need several picks to fill that hole. With three picks, the Bengals filled some big holes on the O-line by drafting two linemen and a top notch helper on the side. With two LB picks, they picked big upgrades over the departed Rey and the hopefully soon to be departed Nickerson.

Cincinnati Linebackers - They usually keep 6 so at least three of these are going to not make it. And Cincy may find a gem in the CFA class, they may actually sign one of the remaining FAs or wait on a cut veteran so four or five might not make the cut. Any ex-AAF players worth a look?

Preston Brown
Nick Vigil
Malik Jefferson
Jordan Evans
Chris Worley
Brandon Bell
Hardy Nickerson

Germaine Pratt
Deshaun Davis

There are my 6 unless we  go get a vet.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:16 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are my 6 unless we  go get a vet.

Seems like the Bengals keep someone that was UDFA on squad somewhere.  Maybe that kid from Maine makes it this year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'm hoping Jordan Evans can take that big year 3 step.

WILL Jordan Evans, MIKE Germaine Pratt, SAM Nick Vigil would be alot of speed and athletisim to a linebacker group that was sorely lacking for years.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 12:47 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: Of course. If Taylor's system elevates the Malik Jeffersons, Jordan Willis', John Ross', Nick Vigils, etc and we don't have 15+ players go on IR again we could be competitive. I love the idea of giving Mixon the keys and Taylor did a good job trying to fix the OL through the draft. That was easily the most important thing that had to be done. More LBs do need to be added. Hopefully, they will prove me wrong and bring in a Zach Brown.

Unfortunately, I think we are still at least a draft away from being back to where we were from 11-15. I do think if they're serious about getting the most out of this group while Geno, AJ, Carlos, etc are still high-level players, playoffs should be in the discussion this year. But we're relying on too many things to go our way. If things go bad again, I'm almost certain it's rebuild time.

It's hard for me to say they're more serious about wanting to win now than they've been in the past simple because they don't seem to be willing to use free agency to do major upgrades at starting spots. Miller was the only marginal starting upgrade that they did.

Lots of teams add talent through the draft. It would have been nice to say, with our $50+ million in cap space that we upgraded 2 starting spots in a clear way. One positive is we didn't get worse by losing players that were good.

There's going to be a lot of pressure under this model for the coaches to develop guys into solid players.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:18 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Seems like the Bengals keep someone that was UDFA on squad somewhere.  Maybe that kid from Maine makes it this year.  

My 6 are on the roster, not any on practice squad.

We had like 9 LB's on and off our roster last year. Of course this year hopefully 1 is not due to LB suspension like Burfict each year.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's hard for me to say they're more serious about wanting to win now than they've been in the past simple because they don't seem to be willing to use free agency to do major upgrades at starting spots. Miller was the only marginal starting upgrade that they did.

Lots of teams add talent through the draft. It would have been nice to say, with our $50+ million in cap space that we upgraded 2 starting spots in a clear way. One positive is we didn't get worse by losing players that were good.

There's going to be a lot of pressure under this model for the coaches to develop guys into solid players.

I think they always want to win. But there is a difference from wanting to win and go all in to win. This FO refuses to go all in to win. If they did not want to win, AD, Green and Geno would have been traded to get draft picks for the future. The FO values great picks to build, so clearly they are not in a rebuild mode and want to win on their terms.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:38 AM)Joelist Wrote: Any serious look at the LB corps has to include the injury problems. Lest we forget we had games where we ran out there Evans, Nickerson and Vigil. In those games it basically looked like Vigil was playing LB by himself with two goobers just standing in the other two spots. Even when they got Burflict back he looked awful. Vigil was easily our best LB last year.

Right now our LB starters are Brown and Vigil with possibly Pratt being the third unless we sign someone or trade. Assuming healthy players that is immediately a lot better than happened last year.

Well, the injuries were to Brown and Burfict. Burfict is gone.

We're banking on Pratt being a quality starter...and then all 3 LB's staying healthy. That's a big ask. Could it happen? Yes. But, there's risk too.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, the injuries were to Brown and Burfict. Burfict is gone.

We're banking on Pratt being a quality starter...and then all 3 LB's staying healthy. That's a big ask. Could it happen? Yes. But, there's risk too.

Also banking on our new DC not being a complete and total disaster.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:35 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think they always want to win. But there is a difference from wanting to win and go all in to win. This FO refuses to go all in to win. If they did not want to win, AD, Green and Geno would have been traded to get draft picks for the future. The FO values great picks to build, so clearly they are not in a rebuild mode and want to win on their terms.

After they re-signed ML the last time around, my view point has changed on that. They clearly don't want to lose, but I don't have much faith that they either a) have the knowledge to do what it takes, or b) have the desire to win a Super Bowl. Guess it depends on the context you put around wanting to win for me personally. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:16 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are my 6 unless we  go get a vet.

Those are my 6 as well. I dont see room for anybody else. If we could get through the year with those 6 healthy i think it would be a much improved unit.

Three 3rd round picks on their rookie deals and the guy who led the NFL in tackles 2 years ago. That is a good start for a LB unit. Evans and Davis have plenty of potential as well. We have been trying to find LBs in the draft. Lets give our picks a chance and see. Its not really an instant impact position. We may have a coach on this new regime who knows how to coach a LB.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, the injuries were to Brown and Burfict. Burfict is gone.

Agreed.

As of now, the LBs would project like this (assuming 6):
Vigil
Brown
Evans
Jefferson
Pratt
Davis/Nickerson/Worley

The Bengals also still have almost $23 mill in cap space. Spotrac did an estimation of $9 mill needed for the Bengals draft picks that just happened, which would bring the total down to almost $14 mill. The Bengals could still put $4-5 mill toward a LB to really help bolster that position and have plenty left over for extensions.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:01 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: After they re-signed ML the last time around, my view point has changed on that. They clearly don't want to lose, but I don't have much faith that they either a) have the knowledge to do what it takes, or b) have the desire to win a Super Bowl. Guess it depends on the context you put around wanting to win for me personally. 

As a business person, losing is bad financially. I know MB is protected so not saying going bankrupt, but tons of money lost when you have 20K fans less a game in tickets, parking and concessions.

That is why I know they want to win, but do not disagree they have proven they do not know how to win.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:19 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: As a business person, losing is bad financially. I know MB is protected so not saying going bankrupt, but tons of money lost when you have 20K fans less a game in tickets, parking and concessions.

That is why I know they want to win, but do not disagree they have proven they do not know how to win.

Totally agree.  :andy:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
The more I learn about Davis, the more I see him with a chance to unseat Nickerson of his spot on the team. He is undersized a bit, but apparently was a terror in the SEC his entire career, and has a big motor. I think Pratt makes the team and earns plenty of playing time. His upside is big and he's coming to the right team to find playing time. Jefferson is one I want to see step up, but he's kind of been an enigma since we drafted him. Has he ever even been interviewed on the bengals home page? The dude has just been invisible since we drafted him. I would like to see him make his presence known this season.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:40 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not trying to get on you man but good Lord he has had a rookie season under a suspect coach so seriously.

And was a 3rd round pick who never saw the field despite a terrible LB corps. We’re exalting this year’s third rounder while cautioning patience on last year’s? Jefferson needs to step up in year two, period. Seeing the field in sub packages would be an improvement over his milk carton campaign of 2018.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:19 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: As a business person, losing is bad financially. I know MB is protected so not saying going bankrupt, but tons of money lost when you have 20K fans less a game in tickets, parking and concessions.

The Front Office may want to win, but they cut a whole bunch of corners rather than maximizing opportunities for success. Winning on the cheap is tough sledding from an organizational standpoint, especially when the controlling interest is bereft of innovative thought.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
2020 5th for Lee
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:15 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed.

As of now, the LBs would project like this (assuming 6):
Vigil
Brown
Evans
Jefferson
Pratt
Davis/Nickerson/Worley

The Bengals also still have almost $23 mill in cap space. Spotrac did an estimation of $9 mill needed for the Bengals draft picks that just happened, which would bring the total down to almost $14 mill. The Bengals could still put $4-5 mill toward a LB to really help bolster that position and have plenty left over for extensions.

Got a lot of potential extenstions coming too....   Lots a key pieces will be free agents at years end
Reply/Quote