Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We start 4 guys guys that would be backups...
(08-22-2017, 01:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There is definitely a lack of overall talent there. 

But a rep like this from Fisher should give you hope! 

This is great stuff. He keeps reworking his hands. Keeps the weight more on his inside leg. Doesn't let Houston take that inside. Forces him back out.

He seems to be coming along pretty well.  That gives us two.  If Hopkins can keep developing, maybe that's three.  Bodine's below average but he played on a good offense in '15 so maybe he won't single handedly wreck the season.  We might have a shot.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There is definitely a lack of overall talent there. 

But a rep like this from Fisher should give you hope! 

This is great stuff. He keeps reworking his hands. Keeps the weight more on his inside leg. Doesn't let Houston take that inside. Forces him back out.

That play actually highlights good execution by the entire OL, for a change.  Even though that had someone helping Ced on the Left, QB was able to make a complete drop and throw.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'll be honest, I was never overly impressed with Ced or Jake in college. I thought Ced's hype always far exceeded his actual performance. I liked Jake coming out better, but thought he had some notable limitations that were going to be an issue at the next level. 

I certainly think Jake is farther along, in terms of measurable progress, at this point...but I really don't see him or Ced as having a very high ceiling as NFL starters. 

I hope both guys prove me completely wrong though.

I had Fisher much higher than Ced because of the intangible things. The toughness and meanness. 

He's really only had one major flaw from my perspective, and that's keeping his weight on the wrong leg. 
Lately he seems to be doing a much better job of keeping it on the inside leg. 

Coupled with his continued improvement of his hand placement, he's looking to be at least a solid RT. Could be our best since Willie. Granted thanks to injuries to Andre the bar never got set too high. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That play actually highlights good execution by the entire OL, for a change.  Even though that had someone helping Ced on the Left, QB was able to make a complete drop and throw.

It's a good rep across the board but it really highlights Fisher's progress and why there's big time upside there still. 

That said, He's still closing on in on his potential. Once you start getting to that 24-25 range, unless you drastically change yourself or move systems, you start solidifying yourself as who you are as a player. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:13 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I had Fisher much higher than Ced because of the intangible things. The toughness and meanness. 

He's really only had one major flaw from my perspective, and that's keeping his weight on the wrong leg. 
Lately he seems to be doing a much better job of keeping it on the inside leg. 

Coupled with his continued improvement of his hand placement, he's looking to be at least a solid RT. Could be our best since Willie. Granted thanks to injuries to Andre the bar never got set too high. 

Definitely agree about the issue with weight placement with Jake. One of my other big issues was how he used his hands. Too many times in college, I saw him absorbing pass rushers and not providing a good punch. This lead to some holding calls because the rusher quickly gained advantage. I haven't been able to watch closely enough during these preseason games to know if he's rectified that or not. I'm sure you have some insight there.

I agree about the intangibles with Jake as well. He demonstrates a passion for the game and a toughness in his play. Those are things that Ced didn't even show in college. And for those that are on the Ced-wagon, I'm not trying to belittle Ced in any way...just giving my honest observation from watching him play.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Definitely agree about the issue with weight placement with Jake. One of my other big issues was how he used his hands. Too many times in college, I saw him absorbing pass rushers and not providing a good punch. This lead to some holding calls because the rusher quickly gain advantage. I haven't been able to watch closely enough during these preseason games to know if he's rectified that or not. I'm sure you have some insight there.

I agree about the intangibles with Jake as well. He demonstrates a passion for the game and a toughness in his play. Those are things that Ced didn't even show in college. And for those that are on the Ced-wagon, I'm not trying to belittle Ced in ant way...just giving my honest observation from watching him play.

His hands have made very good strides. He doesn't have a Willie Anderson punch but he's keeping them inside more. So holds don't count  Hilarious

This is shaping up to potentially be a very good OT class. So if they have ANY DOUBT about Ced by the end of the season, there's no excuse as to why they can't get the LT of the future. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Definitely agree about the issue with weight placement with Jake. One of my other big issues was how he used his hands. Too many times in college, I saw him absorbing pass rushers and not providing a good punch. This lead to some holding calls because the rusher quickly gained advantage. I haven't been able to watch closely enough during these preseason games to know if he's rectified that or not. I'm sure you have some insight there.

I agree about the intangibles with Jake as well. He demonstrates a passion for the game and a toughness in his play. Those are things that Ced didn't even show in college. And for those that are on the Ced-wagon, I'm not trying to belittle Ced in any way...just giving my honest observation from watching him play.

I live in Duck country so I got to see a lot of Fisher. He was the starting RT entering the year, but had to move to LT due to injury. Oregon also runs basic pass pro since they were all about the run. So his 3rd year here are the only true 3 years he's had to learn real pass pro. Even when he was at LT at Oregon they preferred to run to his side and move Mariotta to the right side of the pocket to throw. However, I believe he has it what takes to become a solid RT for us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Fisher does seem to be improving in his leverage and technique each week. Hopkins is a work in progress and we'll see what develops.

Sadly then we get to Bodine - possibly still the worst Center in the NFL.He just does not hold the point. When he isn't getting pushed back he does bonehead things like letting himself get easily steered out of his gap. And again it goes back to poor technique and poor leverage.

Boling seems okay so far.

Og.....well I guess we have to have various degrees of "train wreck" here. His footwork and handwork are still amateurish and he gets beat / whiffs way too often (when you consider he's only in for about a quarter having him get beat 2-3 times like he has been is terrible). He might be a touch less ridiculous than last season though.

Why we are not scouring everywhere for Offensive Linemen is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a great way to put it.

Our offensive talent mainly lies at WR and RB.

I honestly see 4 of the guys as backups on a lot of teams.

I think A.D. should also be included in your grouping...
he's  very good QB.....
Reply/Quote
I was reading today about how the ravens O-line is in shambles & R.M. may very well be the starter on opening day....& possibly longer.... Wink
so I feel pretty confident that no matter what our problems are we'll start out 1-0
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 03:04 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We got rid of our two best players Zeitler n Whit. How in the world were we going to get better or be better this year? Somone please explain this strategy

Money.   We'd feared Zietler would get a deal paying more than any G in the NFL.  We did NOT expect Whit to get big $ at his age. If Ced can't do LT... I'd try Fisher  who I think has better feet.  NOBODY expects this O-Line to be REAL good... but..I'll settle for good enough. Cool Cool
Reply/Quote
I was wrong about our offensive line. Probably 2-3 of the guys we start would be out of the league and not backups!
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 11:25 PM)Beaker Wrote: The O line did a serviceable job last week. The chiefs threw in some new wrinkles and blitzes. Hopefully they will learn from that after watching tape and keep improving.

It's funny in hindsight how in denial some fans were...
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 02:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny in hindsight how in denial some fans were...

Fans being in denial is one thing, but the coaches and front office were having a denial fest when it came to this OL.

Reply/Quote