Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We tried to trade up in the 2nd Round for another offensive lineman
Pretty interesting news. I wondered if they'd take a Tackle that fell, and it looks like they would have.

At the top of the second round, the Jaguars took Florida tackle Jawaan Taylor 35th overall, the Panthers took Ole Miss tackle Greg Little 37th, and the Bills took Oklahoma tackle Cody Ford 38th, and all three traded up to do so.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/28/bengals-tried-to-trade-up-for-more-offensive-line-help/
Reply/Quote
There were probably hundreds of things that didn't happen in the draft. I'm glad they took the first O Lineman in draft in round 1. I can see TE in round 2. You can't really count on Eifert after the last 3 or 4 seasons. If Eifert plays a full season, great, but don't bet the farm on that happening. I didn't like the TE pick when announced. Then I remembered NFL lets new coaches have extra time to look at team before the draft. Maybe new coaches saw Eifert is a little gimpy, it's possible. Plus they traded back for more picks on this. Probably helped them get the QB early in 4. Plus the LB talent was more in 3 than in 2. If Eifert gets injured again, which is very possible, this TE pick starts looking good.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 01:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Pretty interesting news. I wondered if they'd take a Tackle that fell, and it looks like they would have.

At the top of the second round, the Jaguars took Florida tackle Jawaan Taylor 35th overall, the Panthers took Ole Miss tackle Greg Little 37th, and the Bills took Oklahoma tackle Cody Ford 38th, and all three traded up to do so.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/28/bengals-tried-to-trade-up-for-more-offensive-line-help/

I think they might have wanted Risner, but the Broncos took him right before they did.
Reply/Quote
Apparently they wanted to trade up to get Cody Ford.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/sources-bengals-attempted-to-trade-up-for-buffalo-bills-ot-cody-ford.html?outputType=amp
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I still like the trading back for more picks, which Taylor said he was going to do before the draft anyway. The Last Place Bengals needed more picks. At one point we had 13, most in draft, like an expansion team, which a last place team with new head coach is kind of like.

Sometimes you get lucky, and trading back was something Taylor wanted to do anyway. The picks in Round 4 could really pay off huge. We loaded up in 4.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
i think it was ford, taylor, then risner. After risner went they moved down becaues the value at Oline dropped off big times after that

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Apparently they wanted to trade up to get Cody Ford.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/sources-bengals-attempted-to-trade-up-for-buffalo-bills-ot-cody-ford.html?outputType=amp

Interesting. Wasn't Ford more of a Guard than Tackle...but could play Tackle? I would have been happy with that profile.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: i think it was ford, taylor, then risner.  After risner went they moved down becaues the value at Oline dropped off big times after that

Honestly, I would have been happy with any of those 3. Probably in the order you listed them too IF you forced me to rank them.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:19 PM)kevin Wrote: I still like the trading back for more picks, which Taylor said he was going to do before the draft anyway.  The Last Place Bengals needed more picks.  At one point we had 13, most in draft, like an expansion team, which a last place team with new head coach is kind of like.

Sometimes you get lucky, and trading back was something Taylor wanted to do anyway.  The picks in Round 4 could really pay off huge. We loaded up in 4.

I don't know. A lot of the guys we picked will be special teams fodder for several years then out of the league.

Maybe 3-4 of these guys will play this year in base offense and defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting. Wasn't Ford more of a Guard than Tackle...but could play Tackle? I would have been happy with that profile.

He was a RT but people kept on saying OG might be his spot in the NFL. He did have 2 visits with us, so I think we wanted him but the price might have been to steep. Just speculating here.
Reply/Quote
Would've loved to have Ford or Risner. I am actually happy for Risner though, that he got to go to his home state team. He's already a celebrity there, has done a ton of charity type stuff and Denver is basically the perfect fit to his story. Pretty good storyline with this kid.

Glad to see that they at least tried to trade up for a player they really want.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting. Wasn't Ford more of a Guard than Tackle...but could play Tackle? I would have been happy with that profile.

He came up as a Guard, like many college Tackles.  Teams do what they can to get the best 5 out there.  He looked great at RT this season.  I watched some scouting film of him, absolute mauler in run game, sometimes gets two good blocks on same play, does a good job in pass pro.  One of his best qualities is not giving up on a play.  They highlighted one particular play where a speed rusher happened to get the jump on the edge:  Ford just turned, sprinted toward his QB, and knocked said speed rusher flat on his ass.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:59 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Glad to see that they at least tried to trade up for a player they really want.

Yep. I treat it the way Europeans treat traveling Americans struggling in their attempt to speak the local language. Even if the execution was poor, we really appreciate the effort.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty encouraged that they tried trading up for another offensive lineman. Why you ask? Well I didn't like the Hart signing and I thought Miller was underwhelming for the Bills and didn't see them as the answer.

Obviously after drafting Williams, ZT and the Bengals staff agree or they would have called it a day with Hart/Redmond/Hopkins as the primary backups and Miller starting and not worried about adding another lineman.

Extrapolating into this, I'm sure that they would have preferred better levels of free agents signed, but the Bengals management just doesn't roll that way. I find this to be a much better explanation than ZT and the staff loved Hart and Miller.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm pretty encouraged that they tried trading up for another offensive lineman. Why you ask? Well I didn't like the Hart signing and I thought Miller was underwhelming for the Bills and didn't see them as the answer.

Obviously after drafting Williams, ZT and the Bengals staff agree or they would have called it a day with Hart/Redmond/Hopkins as the primary backups and Miller starting and not worried about adding another lineman.

Extrapolating into this, I'm sure that they would have preferred better levels of free agents signed, but the Bengals management just doesn't roll that way. I find this to be a much better explanation than ZT and the staff loved Hart and Miller.
One thing about Hart. Some guys are just good guys and good teammates. The fans don't get too much incite into how coachable or helpful to younger players they are and some of the re-signings that make you shake your heads are based on a lot of that. I know just about everybody on the old board I was on wanted Reggie Kelly replaced for years, and then when it came to RK's FA season, Carson Palmer called him the best teammate he's ever had and then Bengaldom kind of shifted their opinions of Kelly almost overnight.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:13 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I think they might have wanted Risner, but the Broncos took him right before they did.

They were on the phone with denver while denver was making the pick ahead of them. If they wanted Risner bad, they could have told Denver to take Lock because we were going to take him with the next pick if you don't take him now. That could have been their leverage. So they probably didn't value Risner high enough to do that.
Reply/Quote
[Image: outO2z7.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This makes me think ZT had less to do with the draft than I originally thought.

If the plan was originally to double dip on T's, then that's like our 2015 reload attempt (hell, I think Fisher is even a TE now). Then we needed a tackle, a DLman and a LB. We went T, T, TE, LB. Pretty much the same needs four years later and we go T, blocking TE because of the lack of T, LB and QB.
Reply/Quote
So just because we didn't "get" him during the draft, can't we negotiate for him AFTER the draft? Why not?
Reply/Quote
I bet that if they had gotten another OL in two that they would have stayed LB at three and took a TE in four. I’m really curious about this QB. I hate how Marvin would let his starting QB play every snap if he was able to. I like the idea of letting the backup at least play in a game that’s basically already been decided. A starter in the NFL should be able to handle that happening, it could even push them to better things. It would provide for a better safety net incase of a late season injury.
Reply/Quote