Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We tried to trade up in the 2nd Round for another offensive lineman
(04-29-2019, 10:02 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: One thing about Hart. Some guys are just good guys and good teammates. The fans don't get too much incite into how coachable or helpful to younger players they are and some of the re-signings that make you shake your heads are based on a lot of that. I know just about everybody on the old board I was on wanted Reggie Kelly replaced for years, and then when it came to RK's FA season, Carson Palmer called him the best teammate he's ever had and then Bengaldom kind of shifted their opinions of Kelly almost overnight.

Yeah, Hart was the one arguing with Burfict about gang shit right? Real character guy...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm guessing it was for Ford. I know Taylor was at the OU pro day and was seen watching him along with Kyler Murray.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 01:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Pretty interesting news. I wondered if they'd take a Tackle that fell, and it looks like they would have.

At the top of the second round, the Jaguars took Florida tackle Jawaan Taylor 35th overall, the Panthers took Ole Miss tackle Greg Little 37th, and the Bills took Oklahoma tackle Cody Ford 38th, and all three traded up to do so.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/28/bengals-tried-to-trade-up-for-more-offensive-line-help/

Really wanted us to go up and get Ford or Risner. Line would have been complete. We are still an OT injury away from Hart killing another season.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 12:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, Hart was the one arguing with Burfict about gang shit right? Real character guy...

OK, Hannity. It sounds like I would have probably fought with Burfict also.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 12:35 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I bet that if they had gotten another OL in two that they would have stayed LB at three and took a TE in four. I’m really curious about this QB. I hate how Marvin would let his starting QB play every snap if he was able to. I like the idea of letting the backup at least play in a game that’s basically already been decided. A starter in the NFL should be able to handle that happening, it could even push them to better things. It would provide for a better safety net incase of a late season injury.

Moving up would probably have taken away the third rounder plus another pick in rd four. The First rounder, blocking TE and FA should bolster the line this year. Giving up too many picks when you have weaknesses in other areas would have been the wrong path IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 11:50 PM)Benton Wrote: This makes me think ZT had less to do with the draft than I originally thought.

If the plan was originally to double dip on T's, then that's like our 2015 reload attempt (hell, I think Fisher is even a TE now). Then we needed a tackle, a DLman and a LB. We went T, T, TE, LB. Pretty much the same needs four years later and we go T, blocking TE because of the lack of T, LB and QB.

You don't move up for free. They ended up with a BLOCKING TE and a DT instead of another Tackle and giving up who knows what picks. Good plan IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:26 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: You don't move up for free. They ended up with a BLOCKING TE and a DT instead of another Tackle and giving up who knows what picks. Good plan IMO.

From the speculation, it wasnt a plan as much as an inability to move up.
Reply/Quote
Ford and Jonah would probably have been an instant upgrade over Miller and Hart on the right side.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:10 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Moving up would probably have taken away the third rounder plus another pick in rd four. The First rounder, blocking TE and FA should bolster the line this year. Giving up too many picks when you have weaknesses in other areas would have been the wrong path IMO.

Let's hope so, seeing how last season HOPKINS took over Center and did a great job and Price struggling at it from beginning to end was not the bolster we needed from our #1 pick. Had our previous coaches done a better job of analyzing our players' strengths before the draft last year, then Price would have been used as a guard to begin with and Hopkins as our Center. It is what it is, hopefully this new batch of coaches are better attuned to analyzing them. Pray
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 09:22 AM)Benton Wrote: From the speculation, it wasnt a plan as much as an inability to move up.

I know they should have done like Ditka and the Saints did some years back. Could you imagine the uproar if they traded for another lineman while ignoring the biggest hole on the team, I think it would have fried a lot of hard drives.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 10:26 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I know they should have done like Ditka and the Saints did some years back. Could you imagine the uproar if they traded for another lineman while ignoring the biggest hole on the team, I think it would have fried a lot of hard drives.

There is this thing called free agency where you're allowed to upgrade positions.

We just had more needs than draft picks. Realistically, 2-3 of these guys will contribute this year on offense and defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting. Wasn't Ford more of a Guard than Tackle...but could play Tackle? I would have been happy with that profile.

I think they were looking at Ford to play Guard with maybe some possible tackle upside. They ended up trading up for a very similar player in Michael Jordan.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 01:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Pretty interesting news. I wondered if they'd take a Tackle that fell, and it looks like they would have.

At the top of the second round, the Jaguars took Florida tackle Jawaan Taylor 35th overall, the Panthers took Ole Miss tackle Greg Little 37th, and the Bills took Oklahoma tackle Cody Ford 38th, and all three traded up to do so.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/28/bengals-tried-to-trade-up-for-more-offensive-line-help/

(04-29-2019, 02:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Apparently they wanted to trade up to get Cody Ford.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/sources-bengals-attempted-to-trade-up-for-buffalo-bills-ot-cody-ford.html?outputType=amp

Was really high on Ford myself, i liked that they tried to trade up even if it wasn't to be and them trading back and then picking Sample is what really made me like the pick. Traded back and still got a top blocker and a guy that can catch too at a position of need. I said it before the Draft, they need to act like Eifert isn't even here.

If he can play, great, but in the mean time have to add a TE that can block for Taylor's Offense.
Reply/Quote