Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We were going to be 4-3 regardless
As soon as we lost to the Steelers, every sane fan knew we'd be 4-3 after last night, right? KC is a super bowl contender with one of the best QBs in the NFL and nearly endless weapons for him. Our offensive line was never going to allow us to keep up with him, even if our defense did get a stop or two here and there.

I actually prefer an ass whooping to a close back and forth game. That may sound totally backwards, but at least now you don't have to agonize or kill yourself over a single play (like we did against the Steelers). It also may actually ignite a spark in these players to go out and start playing like they have a pay check to earn or something.

This is still a 4-3 team with a very good chance at making the playoffs and, before last night, our offense was working really well for us.

I am officially on the "Austin needs to go" train though. That guy is way too ready to give up the short stuff and then hope it doesn't turn into long stuff (which, with this team's tackling technique, it will). I want to see someone willing to play aggressive press coverage on 3rd down.
MAKE THEM EARN THE FIRST DOWN.

Austin's defense hands out 3rd down conversions like they're candy on Halloween night. It's ***** embarrassing.

I went to bed at the half because I knew we weren't going to make any adjustments in the 2nd half and seeing the score this morning I was pretty happy with that decision.

On 6 days we got the Bucs at home. It'll be a good opportunity to get back to our winning ways and, at 5-3 at the halfway point in the season, we should be feeling pretty good about this team.

I know the sky may seem like it's falling, but if you came into this game expecting us to win (or, really, even compete) then you were living in a dreamworld anyway. I think it's best we rip this bandaid off now. The Bengals are a good team. We are not a great team. It's about progressing towards something meaningful and we've done that so far this season. Our defense is trash, but their performance just last year indicates that this is primarily coaching. Hopefully, we fix that sooner than later and we can get back to our traditionally sufficient defense.

Until then, try not to dwell on this loss too much. No matter what the final score is, an L is exactly the same as any other L (in the same portion of the season).
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 08:03 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: As soon as we lost to the Steelers, every sane fan knew we'd be 4-3 after last night, right? KC is a super bowl contender with one of the best QBs in the NFL and nearly endless weapons for him. Our offensive line was never going to allow us to keep up with him, even if our defense did get a stop or two here and there.

I actually prefer an ass whooping to a close back and forth game. That may sound totally backwards, but at least now you don't have to agonize or kill yourself over a single play (like we did against the Steelers). It also may actually ignite a spark in these players to go out and start playing like they have a pay check to earn or something.

This is still a 4-3 team with a very good chance at making the playoffs and, before last night, our offense was working really well for us.

I am officially on the "Austin needs to go" train though. That guy is way too ready to give up the short stuff and then hope it doesn't turn into long stuff (which, with this team's tackling technique, it will). I want to see someone willing to play aggressive press coverage on 3rd down.

Austin's defense hands out 3rd down conversions like they're candy on Halloween night. It's ***** embarrassing.

I went to bed at the half because I knew we weren't going to make any adjustments in the 2nd half and seeing the score this morning I was pretty happy with that decision.

On 6 days we got the Bucs at home. It'll be a good opportunity to get back to our winning ways and, at 5-3 at the halfway point in the season, we should be feeling pretty good about this team.

I know the sky may seem like it's falling, but if you came into this game expecting us to win (or, really, even compete) then you were living in a dreamworld anyway. I think it's best we rip this bandaid off now. The Bengals are a good team. We are not a great team. It's about progressing towards something meaningful and we've done that so far this season. Our defense is trash, but their performance just last year indicates that this is primarily coaching. Hopefully, we fix that sooner than later and we can get back to our traditionally sufficient defense.

Until then, try not to dwell on this loss too much. No matter what the final score is, an L is exactly the same as any other L (in the same portion of the season).
I'm right there with you and also glad I decided not to stay up and watch anymore after the pick 6.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 08:03 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: As soon as we lost to the Steelers, every sane fan knew we'd be 4-3 after last night, right? KC is a super bowl contender with one of the best QBs in the NFL and nearly endless weapons for him. Our offensive line was never going to allow us to keep up with him, even if our defense did get a stop or two here and there.

Think its more the manner of the loss and that now going into the midway point these issues are now becoming long term trends....we either address them in the bye week or accept we are going to be a win one - lose one type team rest of the way. 

Yes, they were massively exposed by a very talented KC team (on offense anyway) but the weak LB play, poor tackling, 3rd down, lack of consistent running game , receiving threats beyond AJ,Boyd, patchy Special teams play ,etc have all been there before.

Looking forward to our coaching staff getting some time to re-group over the bye week post tampa
Reply/Quote
You honestly lost me at you prefer an ass-whooping. That was a terrible look for a team that so drastically needs a change of fortune in that department (prime-time, on the road, vs a good team).
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

It was very expected to lose to the Chiefs, that was why winning that Steelers game was so important. It also makes the Bucks game a must win if they’re making the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
To say getting our asses handed to us is somehow better then having a really close game, on the road, in primetime, against possibly the best team in the conference is asinine. If we lose but had a close game down to the wire pretty much every fan would have been okay with the result. Losing by 35 on national television just tells everyone, once again, nothing has changed. 

A lose isn't always just a loss and anyone who thinks that has never actually played competitive sports. 
Reply/Quote
At least they won't get flexed to Sunday Night again. They could win on out from here, and maybe, a slight maybe, get flexed at Pitt at the end of season, but that is doubtful.

Last night's SNF rating were the lowest of the season so far, even with a hot offense like the Chiefs. No one cares about the Bengals outside of Cincy, and even then they have lost a lot of fans in the area as well. Then on top of that, they are awful on SNF and just got crushed.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 04:25 PM)iMillhouse Wrote: At least they won't get flexed to Sunday Night again. They could win on out from here, and maybe, a slight maybe, get flexed at Pitt at the end of season, but that is doubtful.

Last night's SNF rating were the lowest of the season so far, even with a hot offense like the Chiefs. No one cares about the Bengals outside of Cincy, and even then they have lost a lot of fans in the area as well. Then on top of that, they are awful on SNF and just got crushed.

There have been few reasons to gravitate toward this team the past 27 years, and even less reasons to stick around if you did.  We've lost an entire generation of potential fans to the shenanigans of the Mike Brown era.  Merv certainly isn't convincing anyone to stick around.  I'd love to see the stats on NFL fanbases by average age.  Bet we're the oldest by far.  Why would anyone under 35 even be a fan of this team?  You practically have to be middle-age to have any memory of this team seeing a SB.  

Besides, half the country confuses us for the Browns or vice versa.  Some orange losers from Ohio is all they know.  

Bet we don't top 45k butts-in-seats come Sunday vs TB.  

Rant
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote