Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weak Links (According to PFF Ratings)
Notables:

Zeitler 77.8 - Average
Whitworth 82.4 - Above Average
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 11:32 AM)Synric Wrote: Look at Pacman week 2 against Hopkins and Houston. Jones grades out poorly for that game but Hopkins and Pacman were in a fight the entire time both pushing off holding etc. He grades out poorly because of the penalties mostly but he actually won that week against Hopkins.

If only the offense didn't suck so bad...

Penalties on CB's can be a big thing. It could be 30 yards+.

But yeah...overall he did a good job.

I don't know if PFF takes into account the quality of the player you're defending. Like if Kirkpatrick takes on a teams #1 and holds him to 60 yards and Dennard goes against a #3 or #4 and shuts him down...I think Dennards rating would be higher.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 11:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So the Steelers have 4 guys rated Poor that start.

None on the o-line.

Mixon is rated an 80, but his actual results suck, thanks to the line. Dalton apparently has a solid PFF rating, but again..his results would be better with an improved line.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 08:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - Clearly a unit can rank high overall and have some people that aren't great.

Isn't that preferable? Which would you rather have: A defense with 10 elite players but that isn't ranked highly or a defense with 10 poor players but that is ranked highly/keeps offenses from scoring many points? 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 10:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Minter has been a sizeable improvement to Maualuga.

Minter can't tackle for shit.. I would say slight improvement just because he is more of an all down linebacker.. maualuga also seamed to be the only guy on defense not named burfict to show up in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 01:41 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Minter can't tackle for shit.. I would say slight improvement just because he is more of an all down linebacker.. maualuga also seamed to be the only guy on defense not named burfict to show up in the playoffs.

Next year, Minter's spot will belong to Jordan Evans.   Vigil will be a year better and Evans will be all over the field and our LB's will be, for once, a strength.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 02:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree with everything written, save for this.

I debunked this back in like 2011, as you DON'T need to know people's assignments and the like; its not too difficult.

PFF is now absolutely horrid, ratings-wise and yet again, no context to the numbers; the old system was defined and it worked. This one is just inconsistent and flat out wrong at times.

Agree with this fully. Granted, there are times they have stats that back things, but they've gone very downhill since. I take what they write with a grain of salt anymore. But, it is fun to look at rankings and such as well.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 01:35 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Isn't that preferable? Which would you rather have: A defense with 10 elite players but that isn't ranked highly or a defense with 10 poor players but that is ranked highly/keeps offenses from scoring many points? 

The actual play on the field leads to the rankings so if you had 10 guys ranked elite...the defense would be dominant.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 02:39 PM)McC Wrote: Next year, Minter's spot will belong to Jordan Evans.   Vigil will be a year better and Evans will be all over the field and our LB's will be, for once, a strength.

Evans actually rated out decent on PFF if I recall correctly. He was somewhere in the low 70's.
Reply/Quote
I think in general one thing that fans can't reconcile in their mind is they see a guy we drafted starting...like Bodine...and if he starts he must be good right? But that's not always the case. We just may not have anyone better.

If a receiver plays...they're going to get catches. If a LB sees the field, he'll get tackles.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 04:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think in general one thing that fans can't reconcile in their mind is they see a guy we drafted starting...like Bodine...and if he starts he must be good right? But that's not always the case. We just may not have anyone better.

If a receiver plays...they're going to get catches. If a LB sees the field, he'll get tackles.

True, but it's also frustrating when it's general consensus that there's a bad player (Bodine) and the team does nothing to get better or even add competition.

I mean, they gave the DT job to Pat Sims and he has been our weakest link. It's very surprising that Billings doesn't get more snaps. Glasgow has even gotten more than him
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm shocked to not see our QB on the list, considering how many people think he's the weak link.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 07:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm shocked to not see our QB on the list, considering how many people think he's the weak link.

He's generally rated average to above average in 2015.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 11:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Sure - Steelers -
Roethlisberger 77 - Average
Bell 84.6 - Above Average
Brown 93.1 - Elite - #1 WR in football
Bryant - 58.6 - Poor
Jesse James - 47.9 - Poor
Pouncey - 72.4 - Average
DeCastro - 89.9 - High Quality. Close to Elite.
Foster - 62.3 - Below Average
Villaneuva - 79.6 - Above Average
Gilbert - 80.3 - Above Average

Haden 75.1 - Average
Gay 74.9 Average
Burns 81.1 - Above Average
Mitchell 73.8 Average
Davis - 44.8 Poor
Shazier 84.0 Above Average
Vince Williams 74.0 Average
Heyward 87.6 High Quality
Tuitt 86.4 High Quality
Watt 74.1 Average
Dupree 44.1 Poor

So the Steelers have 4 guys rated Poor that start.

Hard to believe they lost the Bears and Jags if they're so great lol

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hard to believe they lost the Bears and Jags if they're so great lol

The Bears and Jaguars both run the ball extremely well. The Steelers struggle stopping the run.

That's how to stop them.

The NFL is still about matchups. We haven't been effective running the ball in years.
Reply/Quote
Strange Vigil is rated so low and Vince Williams that high...Williams has been absolutely awful in run defense...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bears and Jaguars both run the ball extremely well. The Steelers struggle stopping the run.

That's how to stop them.

The NFL is still about matchups. We haven't been effective running the ball in years.

The Chiefs are extremely good at running the ball this year and couldn't do anything against them. Slowing down the 3 B's is the best way to beat the Steelers.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 08:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's generally rated average to above average in 2015.

I thought 2015 was the year he put up MVP numbers prior to ending of the year injury? If so, how could he have been rated so low?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
18th ranked defense according to PFF...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-defenses-after-week-6
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 01:41 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Minter can't tackle for shit.. 

You must have missed the Bills game. He was solid. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote