Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Webb selected as Bengals "surprise offseason standout"
ESPN picked one from every team

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26943229/the-surprise-offseason-standout-all-32-teams

BENGALS
CB B.W. Webb
Webb was presumed to take over Darqueze Dennard's slot corner spot when Dennard remained unsigned earlier in the offseason, then appeared to go back to the No. 2 spot once Dennard's deal was done. Now that's not quite so clear. Dennard has been sidelined from practice during OTAs and the first part of minicamp, and coach Zac Taylor specifically pointed out Webb as one of the offseason standouts so far. This could come down to a competition for the starting spot during training camp. -- Katherine Terrell
Reply/Quote
That is encouraging news.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This is exactly what we need, backups and rookies pushing the starters for their jobs.... Rock On
Reply/Quote
I’m sure knowing the system before any of the other players beside Wynn didn’t attribute to him looking good at all. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 01:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is encouraging news.

(07-01-2019, 01:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is exactly what we need, backups and rookies pushing the starters for their jobs.... Rock On

Really?

Webb has played for 5 different NFL teams and not one has brought him back for a second season.  He could not even make an NFL roster in '17.  If he really has a shot at a starting position then that means our CBs are garbage.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Really?

Webb has played for 5 different NFL teams and not one has brought him back for a second season.  He could not even make an NFL roster in '17.  If he really has a shot at a starting position then that means our CBs are garbage.

or webb finally figured it out...

but if hes competeting with Dennard for Slot CB and Dennard hasn't been practicing... Its safe to say Webb has stood out as the best slot corner in OTAs
Reply/Quote

Ok, your not going to like my optimism here but it’s all I got right now. What if these coaches really know how to bring out the best in these players? If they do, which I hope they can, there’s no limit for any player able to suit up at game time.

Reply/Quote

Obviously, only time will tell.  However, if Anarumo liked him well enough to lobby the team to pick him up, he must feel like he can coach the guy and get him to perform.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

B.W. Webb has been on 8 different NFL teams and was on 2 different rosters in 2017 (Bears, Browns). 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Just to make my position clear.  .  .  

I will be very happy if Webb has improved enough to provide solid play when called on.  I really hope we have good players.  I just hope a 29 year old journeyman is not good enough to unseat one of our entrenched players.  That would be more about a starter failing. Webb has worked with so many different NFL coaches for so long there is pretty much zero chance that he will suddenly blossom into a star this year.
Reply/Quote

He has a head start. By the end of training camp, he’ll be back where he belongs as a 5th corner/2nd slot corner.
Reply/Quote

That's exactly my point..... our starting players need to know they can no longer phone it in, or there is someone breathing down their neck for their spot. Notice I never said Webb would take Dennards spot, but pushing Dennard, or any other starter, is a good thing, no matter how negative some posters want to make it.
Reply/Quote
Hey, if Webb turns out to be a gold nugget good for us. It gives us more viable players in the secondary.
Reply/Quote

Well maybe it continues a trend, he had his best year as a pro last year and sounds like he has built on that, CB is a strength of this team not a weakness
Reply/Quote
Good we need quality depth at every position. I dig the guys attitude. He seems like he has a good character and work ethic. I hope he has a legit breakout season. He obviously hasnt become a starter or staple anywhere yet, but at the same time he's been good enough to remain the the NFL a long time at a pretty tough position to play.
Reply/Quote
I don't know.. Sometimes we grab an older player who has never been what one might call a bonafide star, but they come in for a season or two to perform the job needed. They're never going to be HOF material, but never going to be the worst player ever signed either. He kind of reminds me of Chris Crocker in that way. I suspect Webb will be around when his number is called. He may fail or he may just come up with the big play when needed the most in a game or so.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Ya never know, it "clicked" for Reggie Nelson here after flaming out big time in Jax.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
For as much concern we may have about Anarumo as a DC, he's been a pretty good DB coach. I'm expecting Webb and the other DBs will elevate their play compared to what we saw under Austin.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 04:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For as much concern we may have about Anarumo as a DC, he's been a pretty good DB coach. I'm expecting Webb and the other DBs will elevate their play compared to what we saw under Austin.

I think Austin was nothing but a motivational speaker. You know Marvins views were that the player has to find it in themselves. Anarumo is a disciplinarian who teaches you, then holds you accountable when you don't do your job. I think the difference in coaching philosophy will be night and day.

Reply/Quote
in this league you cant have too many good CBs.
your slot CB is just as valuable as your 1 and 2 CB.
I dont care where a player was drafted.
this is the NFL.
I want the best 48 on game day.
dont care if you have to start 7th RDers, UFDAs.
just give 48 that hate to lose.
Reply/Quote