Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Webb selected as Bengals "surprise offseason standout"
(07-01-2019, 08:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's exactly my point..... our starting players need to know they can no longer phone it in, or there is someone breathing down their neck for their spot. Notice I never said Webb would take Dennards spot, but pushing Dennard, or any other starter, is a good thing, no matter how negative some posters want to make it.

Dead on.  I don't really like Pete "teflon" Carroll, but he has made a living with strong competition at every position on the field.  He gets the most out of every player and he won't just go with the higher draft pick.  He will play the guy that he feels is the best player.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good for him. Now let’s see him be effective in the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 06:14 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think Austin was nothing but a motivational speaker. You know Marvins views were that the player has to find it in themselves. Anarumo is a disciplinarian who teaches you, then holds you accountable when you don't do your job. I think the difference in coaching philosophy will be night and day.

You're right on the Marvin front. Marvin's approach was very "corporate." He would tell you what you needed to do and then expect that you do the necessary to accomplish that. Some people need more guidance and hands-on training than that.

I don't know that Austin was even a motivational speaker. It sure didn't seem like the players were ultra-motivated last year on defense when he was DC. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 09:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You're right on the Marvin front. Marvin's approach was very "corporate." He would tell you what you needed to do and then expect that you do the necessary to accomplish that. Some people need more guidance and hands-on training than that.

I don't know that Austin was even a motivational speaker. It sure didn't seem like the players were ultra-motivated last year on defense when he was DC. 

Now that you mention it, I think your right. They didn’t quite buy in on his style. One thing however, was in the first 5 games, the defense won 2 of those because they were focusing on getting the ball back. Austin may or may not have been the big contributor to this. So, I will give him some credit there. But as an overall DC, there was nothing stellar there with him.

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 02:28 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Ya never know, it "clicked" for Reggie Nelson here after flaming out big time in Jax.

I miss the Steeler killer.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 10:26 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Now that you mention it, I think your right. They didn’t quite buy in on his style. One thing however, was in the first 5 games, the defense won 2 of those because they were focusing on getting the ball back. Austin may or may not have been the big contributor to this. So, I will give him some credit there. But as an overall DC, there was nothing stellar there with him.

Yep, Austin's approach was trying to get turnovers. He had a very similar resemblance to Bresnahan.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote