Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson's Choice
This has very little if anything to do with our beloved Geoff Hobson and the title of his articles have little to nothing to do with the known meaning of the term Hobson's Choice other than take it or leave it which is kind of a bit of poetic license by Hobson. Until recently it didn't really click just what the title of his articles meant.. My gf purchased the movie, Hobson's Choice and pointed out what the meaning is. I thought I'd share..

"Hobson's choice is a free choice in which only one thing is offered. Because a person may refuse to accept what is offered, the two options are taking it or taking nothing. In other words, one may "take it or leave it". The phrase is said to have originated with Thomas Hobson (1544–1631), a livery stable owner in Cambridge, England, who offered customers the choice of either taking the horse in his stall nearest to the door or taking none at all."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson's_choice

So I guess our options are to take it or leave it. The Bengals are our team for better or worse, richer or poorer, till death us do part.. Wink
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote