Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Week 1 - Bengals Power Ranking Roundup
The weekly Power Ranking Roundup - High (16), Low (30).

NFL.com
Quote:Rank
Cincinnati Bengals
Previous rank: No. 30
Per The Athletic: Projected offensive line starters played only 64 percent of Bengals' snaps in 2020. In 2019, the number was 59 percent. Attrition is part of life in the NFL, but Cincinnati hasn't done enough to build out depth at the position. This season features a line made up of veterans -- all but third-year pro Jonah Williams has at least 58 starts -- but the reserves have little to no pro experience. History tells us several of these backups will get the call in 2021; will they be able to protect Joe Burrow in a way the 2020 unit could not?

WashingtonPost
Quote:27. Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1)
Second-year QB Joe Burrow returns from the knee injury that cut short his rookie season, but there are issues. Can the offensive line keep Burrow safe and productive? And can rookie WR Ja’Marr Chase, chosen with the fifth pick in the draft as the Bengals opted against using that selection to fortify the offensive line, thrive after a shaky preseason?

USATODAY
Quote:28. Bengals (27): QB Joe Burrow's only pass of preseason was dropped by former LSU teammate Ja'Marr Chase, so you'd assume things will only improve moving forward ... though we are talking about Cincinnati.

CBSSPORTS
Quote:29
BENGALS Joe Burrow is coming off a major knee injury, which is why there is concern about his play. He has looked off in camp. In time, I think he'll get back to playing at a high level. They just might be a year away from competing in the division.

Bleacherreport.com
Quote:25-Week 1: vs. Minnesota
There is cause for at least some optimism in the Queen City as the Bengals prepare to open the 2021 season against the Minnesota Vikings.
Quarterback Joe Burrow is back from the ACL tear that cut his rookie year short. The addition of wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase gives the Bengals an impressive array of skill-position talent, at least on paper. And they took significant steps to bolster their leaky offensive line in both free agency and the 2021 draft.
However, that line remains an area of concern. So does a defense that surrendered the seventh-most yards in the league last year. Cincy also has the misfortune of playing in a loaded AFC North that put three teams in the playoffs last season.
Are the Bengals better? Quite possibly.
Are they good enough to contend for a playoff berth? Not yet.

SI.com
Quote:29. Cincinnati Bengals
Points in poll: 34
Highest-place vote: 26 (1)
Lowest-place vote: 30 (4)
Postdraft rank: 30
Week 1: vs. Vikings
How Joe Burrow looks coming off last season’s injury will be more important than wins and losses this year.

Sportingnews
Quote:16. Cincinnati Bengals (24)
The Bengals are a polarizing young team in terms of how good outsiders think they can be in Year 2 of Joe Burrow, considering he's coming off a major knee injury. Here's believing in Burrow's talent, toughness and leadership to push a high-volume passing offense into hanging well with the stronger members of the AFC North. The defense also got some needed upgrades for complementary support.

Profootballtalk.com
Quote:29. Bengals: Joe Burrow continues to be the bright spot on an overmatched roster. It all remains a work in progress, especially as he returns from a torn ACL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I believe the Bengals will be a better team this year. But I can not really complain about being ranked in the bottom quarter of the league (25-32) until our coaching staff can prove they are legit.

Even as Bengal fan I would not rank us as high as #16 yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 04:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even as Bengal fan I would not rank us as high as #16 yet.

That one was pretty shocking. Had to do a double take.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 05:04 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: That one was pretty shocking. Had to do a double take.

Right we have potential to be better this year than last but based on the last 2 years and the offseason 29-32 is right about right.
Reply/Quote
I don't believe our roster is as overmatched as some think. But maybe I am blinded by our sometimes overvaluing our team players.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
USA Today’s comment made me cringe but Sporting News made me smile. I’d have us probably around 25 if we’re being honest but really this team is so hard to judge on paper till they play some games
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Ranked at 16 by Sporting new is an outlier. As a fan, sadly I see us in the 25 to 30 range.

Tough division is part of the reason, we are probably looking st 5 or 6 losses within the division alone.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 05:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't believe our roster is as overmatched as some think. 

We don't have an "elite" roster, but we have enough to be a .500 team (8 or 9 wins).

No NFL team has elite players at every position, and only a very few teams have what I would call an "elite" roster.  Most NFL teams have an average roster.  The difference usually ends up being injuries, coaching, and luck in the draft.  The draft is more of a crap shoot than most draftnicks want to admit.  Even the best teams miss on some high picks, and there are always random picks in the 4th round or later that every single team missed on.
Reply/Quote
While I can't give half a crap where the Bengals are ranked in these meaningless things, I can all but guarantee when they're near the bottom it's from analysts whose thought process started and stopped at "didn't draft Penei Sewell like I thought they would".
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 05:38 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: While I can't give half a crap where the Bengals are ranked in these meaningless things, I can all but guarantee when they're near the bottom it's from analysts whose thought process started and stopped at "didn't draft Penei Sewell like I thought they would".

Several of those outlets actually weren't critical of the Chase pick. Holic shared reports from SI and other places with experts saying Chase was the correct pick.

The ranking is based off Zac Taylor's horrible record, Burrow coming off injury and how many new starters on both sides of the ball? It is completely fair to rank this team low right now, they haven't proven anything. Is there potential, absolutely. Will they reach that potential? Only time will tell but it is extremely short sighted to say that anyone being critical of this team is only doing so because of the 1st round pick when you have the history of Mike Brown and the so far horrible career of Zac Taylor sitting right there looking at you.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 06:02 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Several of those outlets actually weren't critical of the Chase pick. Holic shared reports from SI and other places with experts saying Chase was the correct pick.

The ranking is based off Zac Taylor's horrible record, Burrow coming off injury and how many new starters on both sides of the ball? It is completely fair to rank this team low right now, they haven't proven anything. Is there potential, absolutely. Will they reach that potential? Only time will tell but it is extremely short sighted to say that anyone being critical of this team is only doing so because of the 1st round pick when you have the history of Mike Brown and the so far horrible career of Zac Taylor sitting right there looking at you.

I doubt anyone is ranking the Bengals 29th right now because Mike Brown had a team go 3-13 in 1992.

Zac Taylor's record may indeed color their views, but that would also be a problem -- these national outlets do not know or understand this roster, and it's not just a Bengals phenomenon. It's what makes the rankings so silly. You can just take 2020's final standings, reshuffle them with slight variation, add a team with an injury return somewhere, and call it an article.
Reply/Quote
The only teams I'd say the Bengals COULD be projected higher than right now:
- Jets
- Jags
- Eagles
- Lions
- Texans
- Broncos
- maybe Falcons
- Maybe Giants

I think around 25th is where they should be until we see improvement in actual games. I could see an argument for really anywhere between 20-30.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 06:05 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I doubt anyone is ranking the Bengals 29th right now because Mike Brown had a team go 3-13 in 1992.

Zac Taylor's record may indeed color their views, but that would also be a problem -- these national outlets do not know or understand this roster, and it's not just a Bengals phenomenon. It's what makes the rankings so silly. You can just take 2020's final standings, reshuffle them with slight variation, add a team with an injury return somewhere, and call it an article.

What's there to understand?
Taylor's record speaks for itself. 6.5 wins across 32 games.
Only real new faces on offense are Chase and Reiff.
Defense has quite a few new guys (Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Awuzie, Hilton) but that's because quality talent left (Atkins, Dunlap, Lawson, WJ3, Alexander). Ossai was a good draft pick but he's on IR, and it's always hard to say what the Day 3 picks are gonna yield given most are raw and/or limited.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
These rankings really arent based off rosters or potential they are based on Wins. 4.5 wins and a top 5 draft slot gets you ranked near the bottom.

If the Bengals start winning the will be ranked higher until then they deserve the low rankings.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 06:05 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I doubt anyone is ranking the Bengals 29th right now because Mike Brown had a team go 3-13 in 1992.

I would say they know it and understand it better then any fan does actually. Fans are passionate about their team and will make excuses for this guy or that guy, where the national outlets just look at the grades from different sources and just take an objective approach.

It would be very rare to see a coach go from as bad as Taylor has been to suddenly a 8 or 9 game winner. The fact is almost every NFL team has talent and a decent amount of talent on their roster (unless you are the Texans). The difference comes down to scouting and finding those hidden gems, and of course the big one of coaching and getting the most out of your roster, making adjustments and calling plays. What over the past two seasons, makes you or should make anyone think that this coaching staff is going to flip a switch and suddenly win 8 or 9 games? 

Until Taylor shows signs of calling a good game and making the right adjustments and Lou calls a good defensive season and this team isn't getting run all over, the low 20 ranking is earned and correct. 

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 06:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The only teams I'd say the Bengals COULD be projected higher than right now:
- Jets
- Jags
- Eagles
- Lions
- Texans
- Broncos
- maybe Falcons
- Maybe Giants

I think around 25th is where they should be until we see improvement in actual games. I could see an argument for really anywhere between 20-30.

Pretty accurate list. I could see the Eagles getting the nod since they have a weak division and might steal a few wins. Broncos, just such a weird team to place in general. Jets, Lions, Texans are absolute train wrecks. And the Giants are literally Barkley or bust. Jags are also a must prove it team but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a better record come season end then Cincy.

Reply/Quote
I think Hodge will surprise people. its rare like hitting the lottery to find a blue chip as a udfa.
Reply/Quote
SI.com
Quote:29. Cincinnati Bengals
Points in poll: 34
Highest-place vote: 26 (1)
Lowest-place vote: 30 (4)
Postdraft rank: 30
Week 1: vs. Vikings
How Joe Burrow looks coming off last season’s injury will be more important than wins and losses this year.

I hate seeing evaluations like this one. They are discounting wins out of the gate even though that's the entire purpose of the team.

Possibly they are making excuses for Taylor already. Not a good sign.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 06:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Pretty accurate list. I could see the Eagles getting the nod since they have a weak division and might steal a few wins and they have a head coach who won a Super Bowl. Broncos, just such a weird team to place in general. Jets, Lions, Texans are absolute train wrecks. And the Giants are literally Barkley or bust. Jags are also a must prove it team but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a better record come season end then Cincy.

When did Nick Sirriani win a super bowl??
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2021, 01:00 AM)Tony Wrote: When did Nick Sirriani win a super bowl??

I really thought Pederson was still there. Don't follow the coaching moves in the NFC at all. Had no idea they made a change. With that said, the Eagles certainly should rank lower then with a new head coach. 

Reply/Quote