Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Week 1 - Bengals Power Ranking Roundup
We're number one! We're number one! We're number one!
We're number one!
We're number one! We're number one!

We're number one!

We're number one!

We're number one!

We're number one!

we're probably not number one..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I look at all preseason power rankings as follows: Some writer takes the record from last year, places them at that spot, and then decided if that team did anything to change that ranking via the draft or free agency. Seems somewhat logical, but that approach fails to realize that the Bengals had a massive drop off in QB play after Burrow's injury, and the line stabilized when XSF returned plus the addition of Spain, essentially off the street.

That team last year got screwed out of a week 1 win, had a pathetic Fat Randy-induced tie against Philly, and lost 2-3 other games that could have been wins as Burrow was just starting to get going (200 yards passing at the half against a WFT that allowed an average of 200 yards passing per game last year). The 2020 team also had to contend with huge injuries at key spots: Reader in the middle. Geno's injury led to hardly any play and massive ineffectiveness. Tupou opted out. They were starting street guys in the middle of that defense. Ditto the secondary, losing Waynes early. Now, everyone is about to type in all caps (possibly bold) that "injuries are part of the game". Yep, they sure are. The 49ers were the only other team I saw that was a decimated by injuries. They were last place and 6-10. I haven't seen that record reflected in their projections. They may have had an amazing 2019, but they sucked the year before that, so who knows what they are? My point about bringing up the injuries is how much better the Bengals are prepared in terms of depth this year. The offensive line has two rookies that graded out pretty well in the preseason backing up the guard spots, and might just push to start if Spain and XSF don't execute. The defensive line is an absolute strength now, even losing Ossai. The CB room has quality depth ensuring that LeShawn "my dude is always open" Sims isn't stepping on the field any time soon.

I look at how close they were to being a 7-8 win team last year with no depth, a ton of injuries, and losing Burrow for the last six and a half games and I think this team is poised for a massive improvement in record. Sure, the schedule is tough. There aren't many teams that just have clunkers at QB any more.

The big question is can Lou have a solid defense now that the roster is littered with "his guys", and can ZT show he can game plan and put all these weapons in place to have a huge jump in PPG. It is really on them now. I have faith that they will make it happen. 10 wins.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 04:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I believe the Bengals will be a better team this year.  But I can not really complain about being ranked in the bottom quarter of the league (25-32) until our coaching staff can prove they are legit.

Even as  Bengal fan I would not rank us as high as #16 yet.

Same, that is more of a prediction I think then a power ranking by sporting news IMO.

Based off of what we have done we should be where the others are ranking us until we prove otherwise.
Reply/Quote