Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
***Week 11 GameDay Thread - Bengals @ Ravens***
This one hurts Last week, it was a laugher. An ageless HOF QB led an explosive offense to a W. Even if we hit on all cylinders, it's still a tough, tough game to win. Meh, that happens. But today? No reason for that shit. If they execute they win the damn game. Totally controlled their destiny for a payoff spot and they just pissed it away in Baltimore. Now we need help and a bounce and a miracle and a burning bush and whatever the **** else it takes for a mediocre team to make the playoffs. Just pissing me off.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 06:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: When you have multiple injuries to top receivers (Green, Eifert, Kroft) and your run game gets stuffed, you're being unreasonable to expect a better game than Dalton just had. He gave us a fighting chance despite it all.

Here's the thing...and this is not a bashing post. He certainly did things to keep them close and he gave Core an opportunity at the end and Core 100% blew it. 

The problem is, better QBs make plays earlier in the game...the one's Dalton missed today, so that it's not always necessary to have to make a game winning drive. Yes, Bullock missed a makeable FG. Yes, Dalton doesn't have a lot of his regulars. The fact is, he had opportunities to make a play plenty of times and he failed. It doesn't make him a bad QB. He's an average QB who is able to focus and produce more times than not at the end of the game. What the Bengals need is a guy that can make those plays that he missed so it doesn't come down to a game winning drive against this Ravens team, a team that regardless of the rushing yards, couldn't put the Bengals away until a 4th down miss. 

He gets zero help from Lazor with his bland formations and play calling but when he drops back to pass, it's 100% on him to put the ball where a receiver can make a catch and yards. When this team is short-handed like they are now, he doesn't do that enough to be considered as anything other than average in the entire course of the game.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 07:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon was a top 5 RB in the league coming into today...

They had plenty of O talent to start the year. As usual, injuries have killed them. 

Overall, tackling was a bit better, but linebackers taking terrible angles left huge holes for RBs to get through. The LBs are just reallllly bad. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I couldn't give a rats bleep about playoffs right now. A playoff game would result in another blowout loss, unless they were magically able to get their injured offensive players back (all of them) and the D continued to gradually progress towards near average. 

That is not going to happen. 

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 07:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I couldn't give a rats bleep about playoffs right now. A playoff game would result in another blowout loss, unless they were magically able to get their injured offensive players back (all of them) and the D continued to gradually progress towards near average. 

That is not going to happen. 

You're right.  Even if we do qualify, hell, we've all seen that movie before.  But it's going to be a topic of conversation here until this team is put out of its misery.  

I don't know. Damn it, I want them to make the playoffs, even if they lose.  That way, if nothing else, we keep someone else from going.  But, this team has now gone 1-4 after the 4-1 start, and I just want to pull my ***** hair out  Bang Head
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 07:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's the thing...and this is not a bashing post. He certainly did things to keep them close and he gave Core an opportunity at the end and Core 100% blew it. 

The problem is, better QBs make plays earlier in the game...the one's Dalton missed today, so that it's not always necessary to have to make a game winning drive. Yes, Bullock missed a makeable FG. Yes, Dalton doesn't have a lot of his regulars. The fact is, he had opportunities to make a play plenty of times and he failed. It doesn't make him a bad QB. He's an average QB who is able to focus and produce more times than not at the end of the game. What the Bengals need is a guy that can make those plays that he missed so it doesn't come down to a game winning drive against this Ravens team, a team that regardless of the rushing yards, couldn't put the Bengals away until a 4th down miss. 

He gets zero help from Lazor with his bland formations and play calling but when he drops back to pass, it's 100% on him to put the ball where a receiver can make a catch and yards. When this team is short-handed like they are now, he doesn't do that enough to be considered as anything other than average in the entire course of the game.

Well said. Was the loss today Daltons fault, not really but there are times where he just dosent have it. I'm convinced this team will never be a serious SB contender as long as Marvin and Dalton are here. Dalton needs tons of talent around him and everyone to play perfect to be considered good or better than average. It should be the other way around. In today's NFL Dalton should be putting up insane numbers but he just dosent. Is it the OC, HC I dunno. Even when everyone is healthy you still never know which Dalton will show up. I just want a HC with some balls and a QB with some grit, some moxie or whatever it is that Andy is lacking. Core completely blew it out there and I don't blame Andy for throwing him the ball, he's an NFL receiver and should make that catch. I blame the coaches for having him as an option to begin with. He's done this before, where was Erickson on that play? He's been pretty clutch his career on 3/4 down.
Reply/Quote
After the fact I think the defense was even worse than last week. The Ravens piled up almost as many yards as the Saints.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 07:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's the thing...and this is not a bashing post. He certainly did things to keep them close and he gave Core an opportunity at the end and Core 100% blew it. 

Not being salty with you at all, but I have to respond with a simple question: What kept us in this game til the very end?

Run game was shite.
Receivers are mostly shite.
Defense was shite.

What does that leave? 

Not saying Dalton was perfect today by any stretch, but with the way the team around him played, we had no business losing this game by 3 with a chance at the very end. I think Dalton is the main reason this game was even close. He's not Drew Brees, and tbh even Brees had a bunch of 7-9 type years when the team was crap around him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
A mediocre QB unable to make enough plays that an 8 year starting vet should make. Core still sucks ass though. The sad thing about Core is he's still better than his former teammate bust WR that we wanted in the first round. So one way to look at it is we got the shitty WR in the 7th that year instead of the 1st. But in true Bengal fashion we managed to make up for that with the Ross pick. Damn this team smh
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not being salty with you at all, but I have to respond with a simple question: What kept us in this game til the very end?

Run game was shite.
Receivers are mostly shite.
Defense was shite.

What does that leave? 

Not saying Dalton was perfect today, but with the way the team around him played, we had no business losing this game by 3 with a chance at the very end.

I think Dalton played better than you're giving credit.

No salt taken at all. I gave him exactly as much credit as i think he deserved. I agree, as i said in my post, that he can keep the team in the game. My issue is, he rarely does anything to get them ahead by a score or more, or when he does get there, keep them there. Saying he's average isn't a knock. Maybe a little more than average. Yes, many other QBs wouldn't have done as much to keep the Bengals in the game, but several other QBs would have done more to get them a decent lead. 

That's what i'm looking for. The guy that will make more plays in the middle to make it not such a tight game. 

You have to agree, the Ravens are not a good team right now. Their defense has been slipping and a better effort from the D against the run would have helped tremendously. Yet, wts, there were plenty of opportunities to make a throw and they were missed. 

He has been very inconsistent since guys started dropping left and right. I want the QB that can still take what he's given (lemons) and make some lemonade. If Dalton has a really good supporting cast (earlier this year, 2015) he makes hay. Talent drops off, he drops off. 

Seven and a half years in and there's still all these exc....errr, reason's why it's not his fault. I'm tired of that guy. I want the better guy. 

GIMME THE BETTER GUY, DAMMIT!!!!!1!11  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No salt taken at all. I gave him exactly as much credit as i think he deserved. I agree, as i said in my post, that he can keep the team in the game. My issue is, he rarely does anything to get them ahead by a score or more, or when he does get there, keep them there. Saying he's average isn't a knock. Maybe a little more than average. Yes, many other QBs wouldn't have done as much to keep the Bengals in the game, but several other QBs would have done more to get them a decent lead. 

That's what i'm looking for. The guy that will make more plays in the middle to make it not such a tight game. 

You have to agree, the Ravens are not a good team right now. Their defense has been slipping and a better effort from the D against the run would have helped tremendously. Yet, wts, there were plenty of opportunities to make a throw and they were missed. 

He has been very inconsistent since guys started dropping left and right. I want the QB that can still take what he's given (lemons) and make some lemonade. If Dalton has a really good supporting cast (earlier this year, 2015) he makes hay. Talent drops off, he drops off. 

Seven and a half years in and there's still all these exc....errr, reason's why it's not his fault. I'm tired of that guy. I want the better guy. 

GIMME THE BETTER GUY, DAMMIT!!!!!1!11  Ninja

Hey...I'd love to have a top guy. It's just harder to find that guy than some think. And would that top guy really play like a top guy under Marv? I have my doubts on that. Dalton has gutted us to a lot of wins (24 fourth quarter comebacks, 2nd in NFL since 2011). As for getting us 2-3 scores ahead in these close games...I think that's a Marv thing really. Conservative to the core. We've never really blown a lot of teams out. Cardiac cats and all that.

I wouldn't say the Ravens defense is slipping. Before today, they were still ranked 2nd in yards and points allowed, even after facing 3 of the NFL's best offenses (Saints, Panthers, Steelers). In fact, only the Saints and Steelers put up more than 21 points in Baltimore (24 and 23 points respectively). So us getting 21 in Baltimore with no run game and multiple key injuries at receiver is pretty good. Could've scored 24 (matching Balt defense's season high at home) if Bullock does his job.

Yeah Dalton missed a few, but I think with a lesser QB, the lack of chances, run game and healthy receivers just makes them collapse. Dalton kept punching, so I give him that. Would a better QB have won this one? Maybe. Like I said though, Drew Brees has plenty of 7-9 type seasons when things were bad around him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 09:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hey...I'd love to have a top guy. It's just harder to find that guy than some think. And would that top guy really play like a top guy under Marv? I have my doubts on that. Dalton has gutted us to a lot of wins (24 fourth quarter comebacks, 2nd in NFL since 2011). As for getting us 2-3 scores ahead in these close games...I think that's a Marv thing really. Conservative to the core. We've never really blown a lot of teams out. Cardiac cats and all that.

I wouldn't say the Ravens defense is slipping. Before today, they were still ranked 2nd in yards and points allowed, even after facing 3 of the NFL's best offenses (Saints, Panthers, Steelers). In fact, only the Saints and Steelers put up more than 21 points in Baltimore (24 and 23 points respectively). So us getting 21 in Baltimore with no run game and multiple key injuries at receiver is pretty good. Could've scored 24 (matching Balt defense's season high at home) if Bullock does his job.

Yeah Dalton missed a few, but I think with a lesser QB, the lack of chances, run game and healthy receivers just makes them collapse. Dalton kept punching, so I give him that. Would a better QB have won this one? Maybe. Like I said though, Drew Brees has plenty of 7-9 type seasons when things were bad around him.

I don't even need a top guy. Hell, Cousins, Carr and Trubiski are pretty much Dalton clones, yet they all out perform Dalton in and out of the pocket. 

Watson and Wilson are smaller (Watson, slightly), athletic guys that are still good passers. 

Bengals are just content to ride Dalton as long as he keeps them away from those 4-12 years. As long as he's .500, give or take a game or two, they're fine with him...same as they are with the rest of the team. That's all they strive for, competitiveness. That's not a mindset that's going to win you a SB trophy. 

Simply, unlike you, i'm tired of giving him chances to put up consistent top 10-12 seasons. I know a couple of the guys i listed were top 5 picks, but what's stopping the Bengals from attempting to trade up? They've done it before. They're just content. 

Reply/Quote
Good game. Was worried on that final drive, the Ravens are usually awful in those situations, especially against the Bengals (and especially when the playoffs come down to one play lol). Dalton put the ball where it needed to be, surprised Humphrey made a good play on that receiver.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote