Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Week 2 Power Rankings
I don't know if I'll do this every week, but for now, here are this week's power rankings. Yes, they don't mean anything. Still interesting to see where pundits think we rank.

ESPN
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17531081/nfl-2016-week-2-power-rankings-green-bay-packers-new-england-patriots-seattle-seahawks
Bengals #9 (Down from #7): Let Week 1 serve as a reminder of how good A.J. Green is. He dropped 180 yards against a secondary with Darrelle Revis. Green and the Bengals look to get their revenge against the Steelers this week.

NFL
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000701857/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-2-patriots-broncos-shoot-to-the-top
Bengals #8 (Up from #9): Now that's how you shut people up, Andy Dalton. The Bengals' franchise -- that's right, franchise -- quarterback shook off seven sacks to make plays when his team needed it on Sunday. Would you believe that was the first time Cincinnati beat the Jets in New York in 10 meetings? The first loss there came in the last game of Cincy's inaugural season, in 1968, against Joe Namath and the eventual Super Bowl champion Jets. Back to Sunday: How about A.J. Green catching 12 freaking balls for 180 yards and a touchdown? Making Revis Island look more like Revis Port.

CBSSports
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings/
Bengals #3 (Up from #5): Andy Dalton came back after his injury last December and played well. The offensive line had issues against the Jets that need to be worked out.

USAToday
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/rankings/
Bengals #8 (No change): Andy Dalton withstood a relentless beating (7 sacks), made the most of a stripped-down receiving corps and led a clutch drive in his return.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 12:03 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't know if I'll do this every week, but for now, here are this week's power rankings. Yes, they don't mean anything. Still interesting to see where pundits think we rank.

ESPN
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17531081/nfl-2016-week-2-power-rankings-green-bay-packers-new-england-patriots-seattle-seahawks
Bengals #9 (Down from #7): Let Week 1 serve as a reminder of how good A.J. Green is. He dropped 180 yards against a secondary with Darrelle Revis. Green and the Bengals look to get their revenge against the Steelers this week.

I didn't make it past this one before vomiting.  I know, I know...they're only power rankings and they are designed to get page hits, blah, blah, blah...

BUT, are you F(&$@) kidding me? 

The Packers are at #1 after edging the Jags on the road?  The Jags, who average 4-5 wins a year. 

The Cards are at 4th, after losing to a backup QB, at home.

The Texans are at 7??? (This was where I lost my lunch). 

The Bengals who overcame not having their #2 offensive weapon, 9/11 in New York (NJ), 90+ degree heat in black jerseys DROPPED two slots?  Oh, ESPN, your lack of understanding of football is astounding.

After the Bengals beat pissburg Sunday, expect the Bengals to drop to 10, and the steelers climb to #1 because they nearly held off a motivated Bengals team looking for revenge after last year's arse-raping.  The steelers were amazing how they kept trying after the Bengals kept beating the shit out of them.  What a team, what a tradition.  Puke. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 12:53 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't make it past this one before vomiting.  I know, I know...they're only power rankings and they are designed to get page hits, blah, blah, blah...

The Packers are at #1 after edging the Jags on the road?  The Jags, who average 4-5 wins a year. 

The Bengals who overcame not having their #2 offensive weapon, 9/11 in New York (NJ), 90+ degree heat in black jerseys DROPPED two slots?  Oh, ESPN, your lack of understanding of football is astounding.

After the Bengals beat pissburg Sunday, expect the Bengals to drop to 10, and the steelers climb to #1 because they nearly held off a motivated Bengals team looking for revenge after last year's arse-raping.  The steelers were amazing how they kept trying after the Bengals kept beating the shit out of them.  What a team, what a tradition.  Puke. 

Very nice!!

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 12:53 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't make it past this one before vomiting.  I know, I know...they're only power rankings and they are designed to get page hits, blah, blah, blah...

Cannot give you enough reps for this man! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Good info, and agree with you 100% SHRacer.

One thing that jumped out at me in the ESPN rankings:
Patriots are 20-1 at home against divisional opponents since 2009. Garbage division aside, that is absurd success.
Reply/Quote
I saw the ESPN one the other day. Was pissed when I saw they dropped the bengals after the win. Then I looked at the rest of the rankings and realized they are total shit. Honestly wasn't even upset once I realized how horrible they were. Looks like they just drew teams from a hat and went with that order lmao no need to even get upset at that one
Reply/Quote

You forgot the reigning SB Champs beat the reigning NFC Champs, and stayed at #8.. below the team they just beat, who is #6.

I'm of the mind that the reigning SB Champ gets an automatic 1st seed in power rankings and should never fall a spot until they lose a game.

But yeah, ESPN is a joke.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 05:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You forgot the reigning SB Champs beat the reigning NFC Champs, and stayed at #8.. below the team they just beat, who is #6.

I'm of the mind that the reigning SB Champ gets an automatic 1st seed in power rankings and should never fall a spot until they lose a game.

But yeah, ESPN is a joke.

Normally I would agree.. but most superbowl champions don't start the next season without their QB from the year before.   Either the one that retired or left town....  that defense will keep them in games though. until we show the league how to crack it here in another week...
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 05:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Normally I would agree.. but most superbowl champions don't start the next season without their QB from the year before.   Either the one that retired or left town....  that defense will keep them in games though. until we show the league how to crack it here in another week...

Yeah, but how many SB champs have their QBs throw 19 TD/23 INT? Leading the NFL in INT, and having the second worst QB Rating in the NFL?

That's why I didn't think there would be a big dropoff for Denver, because their QBing literally couldn't get much worse than it was in 2015, and they won the SB that year. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lol Texans !!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 03:19 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Good info, and agree with you 100% SHRacer.  

One thing that jumped out at me in the ESPN rankings:
Patriots are 20-1 at home against divisional opponents since 2009.  Garbage division aside, that is absurd success.

Thanks, but I can't get over "garbage division aside".  As a Buckeye fan, I hate to admit this, but for a while now their conference was a cake walk.  The SEC teams had a much tougher road through their conference foes.  That is like the Pats...they are really good, but until this year (maybe) they were 6-0 after the preseason by merely showing up to those AFC LEAST games.  
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 06:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, but how many SB champs have their QBs throw 19 TD/23 INT? Leading the NFL in INT, and having the second worst QB Rating in the NFL?

That's why I didn't think there would be a big dropoff for Denver, because their QBing literally couldn't get much worse than it was in 2015, and they won the SB that year. Lol

I don't think that defense can repeat its dominance the entire season though
Reply/Quote