Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
***Week 6 GameDay Thread - Bengals @ Saints***
Biggest takeaway is that they scored 30 on a cover 2 scheme.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:11 PM)samhain Wrote: Still zero second half TDs allowed by this defense.  If the offense played like they did today in the other close losses, none of those last second FGs would matter.  

All well and good but it does not speak to the situation - you put your defense on the field leading by a TD or less. The expectation should be that most of the time they do their job and close it out. Well the last four times before today they were called on for this they failed. Today they finally succeeded. 

There is this weird idea that the defense cannot be criticized if the offense is struggling. It simply isn't true. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:06 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: How about the NY teams being a combined 9-3 this season? Who would’ve called that one?

Absolutely no one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:11 PM)samhain Wrote: Still zero second half TDs allowed by this defense.  If the offense played like they did today in the other close losses, none of those last second FGs would matter.  

While bolded bit is true, I think the 2nd half defence was proof as to why even scoring stats don't always matter. They gave up so much time in the 2nd half, that our offence literally needed 17 points on our last 3 drives (excluding the victory drive at the end) to win (though I guess actually, we'd still have won had the FG drive been a punt or whatever instead).

Defence came up top when it mattered the very most (which is the most important bit), but their inability to get off the field was very close to costing us today's game. But no doubt that over the season, most of the blame is on the offence.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals are 2nd in the division now. Not as good as hoped, but not disasterous. Still in it.

And only two home games played out of the 6 games so far. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:07 PM)Housh Wrote: 3-3 and T-1st in the division.

Also it seems as if Burrow has figured out cover 2.

Season starts next week fellas. THIS Burrow isnt losing many more games this season.

Will you please stop.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:17 PM)bjf123 Wrote: Absolutely no one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is our fault! It is our fault for giving losing franchises hope. We created these monsters!
Reply/Quote
I was worried we would end our stretch of not allowing a 2nd half TD but also confident we could stop them because of that stat. I know game script plays a factor but very impressive to be thru week 6 without a 2nd half TD.
Reply/Quote
Defense was epitome of bend but don't break. Would prefer no bending but they got the job done.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: Pretty sure I could find plenty of Zac sucks pages in today's Gameday thread.. Not naming names, but there's no shortage of chicken littles..  Heck, I was chicken littleing earlier and I'm fearless..  Cool

Didn't think I saw your name during the second half.  I was hoping you went fishing Wink
Reply/Quote

Steelers game - Steelers get ball to start overtime - D forces 3 and out. O doesn't score.  Steelers don't score again.  O gets ball back, 5 plays, 5 yard.  D gave the O the ball twice with chance to win the game, but sure the D didn't close out the game.  Besides holding the Steelers to 3 pts in the 2nd half.

Cowboys game - Cowboys 1st 4 drives of 2nd half - punt, fumble, punt, punt.  D gives O ball back with 1:16 left and a chance to win the game. O gains 8 yards on 3 plays and punts back.  Again D gave O a chance for a game winning drive and O does nothing.  D gives up 3 whole points in 2nd half.

Ravens game - D gives up 3 FGs in 2nd half. One on a drive of 6 yards due to a Burrow pick.  

This game - Gave up 6 pts in the second half, last 2 possessions, 3 and out, 9 plays 22 yards, ended the game.

In the Steelers and Cowboys games they gave the O chances to win the game at the end and they did nothing.  

The narrative that the D can't close out games was a completely false in past weeks and was wrong again today.  Still haven't given up a 2nd half TD all season and yet they are "terrible" and "worst D in the NFL"  The D is the reason they are 3-3, by far.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:12 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: To be fair this has been a weird season for a lot of teams. Pick ‘em is crazy because every team is surprising whether good or bad. We should have had 2 more wins, but 3-3 in the crazy season isn’t the worst and we could have had 2 more losses too.

Yeah, crazy alright.  Had we won last week, we'd be all alone in first at 4-2 and the rest of the division would be 2-4.  Oh well, still a lot of football to be played.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:19 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I was worried we would end our stretch of not allowing a 2nd half TD but also confident we could stop them because of that stat. I know game script plays a factor but very impressive to be thru week 6 without a 2nd half TD.

I was comfortable with a lead over 3 points. 2 and I’d have probably turned it off. ?
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals are 2nd in the division now. Not as good as hoped, but not disasterous. Still in it.

Tied for 1st even though baltimore has the series lead for now..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Atlanta actually matches up very well with the Bengals defensively.

AJ Terrell can guard Chase. Isiah Oliver isn't too shabby either. Grady Jarrett manning the middle.

Kyle Pitts being a top end TE.....can pound the rock with or without Cordarrelle.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:24 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Atlanta actually matches up very well with the Bengals defensively.

AJ Terrell can guard Chase. Isiah Oliver isn't too shabby either. Grady Jarrett manning the middle.

Kyle Pitts being a top end TE.....can pound the rock with or without Cordarrelle.

Haven't seen today's ATL game but Pitts has been off this yeae
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: Tied for 1st even though baltimore has the series lead for now..

Which makes them 2nd. Lost to the Ravens directly and are 0-2 in the division. They are currently out of the playoffs, but it's not out of reach at all. Just need to channel some more of 2021 Bengals.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:24 PM)treee Wrote: Haven't seen today's ATL game but Pitts has been off this yeae

It’s not him. Their offense ignores the TE. He’s a stud.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Can we all please stop bitching at each other? We just nailed down a come from behind road win to get back to .500. Still very much alive in the North with a full 11 games to go. Offense is starting to click...etc.

Breathe, relax and grab a beverage.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:21 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, crazy alright.  Had we won last week, we'd be all alone in first at 4-2 and the rest of the division would be 2-4.  Oh well, still a lot of football to be played.  

Looking at our schedule, there is zero reason can't be 8-3 to start December when we face the Chefs.
Reply/Quote