Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird Week One games
If you ever wanted evidence of the bad effects of teams holding starters out in preseason and the absurdly low number of practices the CBA allows the farcical game played this weekend were evidence indeed.

We saw mediocre RBs running wild on defenses that clearly were having big problems with gap discipline (usually occurs because of lack of reps). We saw normally accurate QBs throwing wild balls all over the place - again frequently happens from lack of practice. And Special Teams were indeed special - the wrong kind of special.

Remember this when you hear demands to shorten preseason - if such a shortening is not accompanied by a huge lengthening of practice time the Week One clown show will extend to more games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I didn't see that big of a difference.

Think you might be over reacting a bit.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 08:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I didn't see that big of a difference.

Think you might be over reacting a bit.

Yup.

Just another random week of NFL football.

Every week, you'll have lesser players have big games and big names fall flat.  It's not evidence of a disturbing trend, it's just always been that way.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Yeah. I remember last year that one WR on Dallas had like 3 TDs and people were going nuts on fantasy leagues for him.

Four words -- Flash in the pan
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking one reason week 1 looks so strange every year is because we have the entire off-season to be so SURE about each team that when it comes time to actually put it on the field it seems so far from what we expected. Duh!
Reply/Quote
I wasn't referring to a team or player being surprisingly good or otherwise. I was referring to the astonishingly sloppy play in a lot of games. And yes, it did manifest itself in seeing mediocre players going off (especially on offense) because of bad defensive gap play and alignments. That was just one of many things. How about Teddy Bridgewater not being able to hit the side of a barn with the ball? Or the parade of silly mistakes by the Cowboys and Giants? And so on and so on.

To me it goes back to the lack of practices under this CBA and its predecessor. Combined with the tendency of teams to not play starters in preseason too much we are seeing a LOT of rust in week one. If they want to shorten preseason then what I said is we should get in exchange a lot more practices, so that at least we can start seeing sharper football right out of the gate.
Reply/Quote
This is just an overreaction by the king of overreactions.

Nothing to see here.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 02:43 AM)Joelist Wrote: I wasn't referring to a team or player being surprisingly good or otherwise. I was referring to the astonishingly sloppy play in a lot of games. And yes, it did manifest itself in seeing mediocre players going off (especially on offense) because of bad defensive gap play and alignments. That was just one of many things. How about Teddy Bridgewater not being able to hit the side of a barn with the ball? Or the parade of silly mistakes by the Cowboys and Giants? And so on and so on.

To me it goes back to the lack of practices under this CBA and its predecessor. Combined with the tendency of teams to not play starters in preseason too much we are seeing a LOT of rust in week one. If they want to shorten preseason then what I said is we should get in exchange a lot more practices, so that at least we can start seeing sharper football right out of the gate.

There is that phrase... Mid Season form
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 02:43 AM)Joelist Wrote: I wasn't referring to a team or player being surprisingly good or otherwise. I was referring to the astonishingly sloppy play in a lot of games. And yes, it did manifest itself in seeing mediocre players going off (especially on offense) because of bad defensive gap play and alignments. That was just one of many things. How about Teddy Bridgewater not being able to hit the side of a barn with the ball? Or the parade of silly mistakes by the Cowboys and Giants? And so on and so on.

I still don't see it.  Players have good and bad games randomly throughout the season.  I guarantee that some players who looked great in game 1 will struggle in some game later in the season.

And I doubt that Dalton is going to get any better as the season progresses.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 09:16 AM)djs7685 Wrote: This is just an overreaction by the king of overreactions.

Nothing to see here.

As usual you both don't know what you're talking about and go around attacking other posters without cause....boring.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 12:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I still don't see it.  Players have good and bad games randomly throughout the season.  I guarantee that some players who looked great in game 1 will struggle in some game later in the season.

And I doubt that Dalton is going to get any better as the season progresses.

That's okay Fred. Opinions can differ. It just felt that way to me both this year and last year watching several different early season games. I just don't remember the games being this sloppy early in the season back when more practices were allowed.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 10:23 PM)Joelist Wrote: As usual you both don't know what you're talking about and go around attacking other posters without cause....boring.

Not as usual because I know exactly what I'm talking about here.

You lose your mind in the gameday threads/chat box every week and have done so for years.

There isn't a person on these boards that overreacts anywhere NEAR the way you do. Meh, get mad about that, I couldn't care less if you do. It's the truth, and other people even mentioned it during last week's game too.

We had a near perfect drive and you found a way to complain. We were up 30-0 and you were bitching about stuff. Threads like this are par for the course of somebody that is known to overreact like a madman. You have 1 or 2 of your pet players that you obsess over on the team and past them, you are the most uber critical person I've ever seen.
Reply/Quote