Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcom to the team, Drew Sample!
Atrocious pick. They needed a potential starter with their second. Way too many holes on this roster to be reaching for a 3rd string role player with minimal production in college.

To boot, I'm seeing scouting reports saying that he's actually lacking in the strength department despite his best attribute being his willingness to block.

We needed a contributor here, not just some guy. Drew Sample is pretty much the definition of just some guy. We have plenty of draft capital to take backfill on day 3. Blown pick here.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh, woe is you.... what we are lacking on defense is still out there. We have a good backfield, we have a good dline. we need linebackers...

D line other than an aging Geno and Los is thoroughly average. The D line is arguably the third weakest position group behind LB and O line. Maybe TE is/was worse? The other DT’s are nothingburgers, Lawson is hurt, Willis has underachieved, Kerry Wynn is backup material.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:59 PM)Benton Wrote: Because eifert was a myth, mostly. They're building up an offense that can protect a qb. Which is either going to be the pick in the next round or they're going to wait until next season.

lol again a 4th or 5th round player in the second.  not a soul in the world is gonna justify this pick unless sample turns into gronk.  piss poor selection.
Reply/Quote
cant believe people are trying to justify this pick... they can go with mike brown when he dips too.. my goodness just embarassing. but maybe were tanking for tua next year...
Reply/Quote
NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein compared Washington TE Drew Sample to Indianapolis Colts TE Jack Doyle.

Sample (6'5/255) wasn't a big part of the passing game at Washington, but he did have a solid senior season with 21 catches for 252 yards and three scores in 2018. Doyle has been a solid receiver for the Colts when healthy, so this is relatively high praise. "While he might be typecast as just a blocking tight end, he possess enough speed and ball skills to become a more productive pass catcher than he was at Washington," writes Zierlein. "His size, football character and commitment as a run blocker give him a chance to become a solid combination tight end with TE2 potential."
Reply/Quote
People need to calm down. A good TE that can block, an amazing Lineman who god willing will service us for 10-12 years have been good picks. Our top LB picks were gone, and we know we can get the next set in the later rounds. Next year is the big draft year. A New QB, and a LB. We are looking good for now. More excited for this years offense than ever before.
Reply/Quote
NFL Draft Scout's Rick Serritella lists Washington TE Drew Sample as one of the underrated prospects on the offensive side of the ball in the 2019 NFL Draft class.

Sample (6'5/255) didn't get a ton of targets when he was at Washington, but one of the things he did get a chance to do often with the Huskies was block, and he did it well. "He takes excellent blocking angles when seeking out targets in the second level," writes Serritella. He compares Sample to Will Dissly, a former teammate at Washington who was taken in the fourth round by the Seahawks in 2019. "After a prodigious performance at the Senior Bowl," writes Serritella, "his stock might even be higher." This tight end class is loaded, but Sample's ability as a blocker makes him among the highest floors at the position.
Reply/Quote
So much for always killing it in the 2nd round...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Inline blocking Te-Ys are always rated lower by the media but drafted higher by teams. I do think he would have been there for their 3rd round pick though.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I have no problem with the selection. I think Sample was very under utilized in the Huskies offense. He is an outstanding blocker and a every down player. Given the history on Eifert he will be a really good insurance policy. I love the fact that he is another extremely high character guy! Love the culture that Taylor is looking to build.

Welcome aboard young man look forward to seeing you take the field with this offense!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So much for always killing it in the 2nd round...

Yeah very disappointing. With one of our 3rd Round picks, this would be ok...but not this high.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:03 PM)yang Wrote: Bullshit.  You could have taken 25 better people that can block.  Get real.  This pick sucked balls.  Own it.

There are not 25 people better than Sample that can block left. Especially at TE. He is one of if not the best blocking TE in the draft. You have no idea of Taylor's scheme. TE was our thinnest position since we only really can rely on Uzomah. There still can be some steals later in the draft for LB. You need to stop freaking out over things because you have no idea how our coaches wants to run this offense.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Bengals board had him higher so guess we will see. One thing you can;t say now is that our HC does not have voice in the draft room.. this is total Taylor printed pick in what he wants in the offense plus you could argue TE was as weak or more weak than LB coming into draft...

Lb is by far our biggest need but we should def add a te.  I just dont like the one we added.  Maybe im wrong but if hes the guy we liked I think we could have got him for one of our 4s and I woulda been fine with it.  Im pissed we used a 2nd rounder on him
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Apparently the Bengals had a better grade then you or a bunch of writers

and the bengals were 5-11 for a reason and havent won a playoff game in years.  yea maybe they should tear up their board and quit reaching three rounds early on 1 trait players.  its a horrible pick.  not in the 4th but in the second hahah cmon ever heard of value
Reply/Quote
if mixon runs for 2k yards its not gonna be becuase of sample its gonna be because jonah williams and our offensive line. drew sample isnt a 2k yard rusher creator cmon now
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love the pick, we will use him like Heath Miller on the stool pitt....

Watched this guy play and he impressed me and stood out. I can only name a handful of players that did this last year at the college level and he was one of them, a trucking TE that has great hands.

hahahahahahahahahhahhaahahaahaah honestly hahhaahaahahahahaha
Reply/Quote
Welcome
Reply/Quote
I am not in love with the pick but seems like a guy who will do his job. In today's age of Nickle Defenses and small LBers could be a major advantage for Bengals.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Some people on here are in a doomsday mode. You cannot ever be a Bengals fan and survive a season with that attitude. I am very happy with these picks. Stealers stole our LB. Our front office decided that getting Zac’s offense set early (very good blocking players) would allow for a smooth transition into the new offense. Defense and QB later in this draft, and than next year. It’s a New Dey, bring some new energy.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Agree very physical and I like that Taylor prints on this pic.. he can catch not sure why people think he can;t just not the speed TE.. 

Yep, and those sturdy, blocking types tend to stay healthy and in the lineup, more than the flashy, receiving type of TEs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote