Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcom to the team, Drew Sample!
(04-27-2019, 11:19 AM)OSUfan Wrote: So to those who so closely believe the "experts" over those actually working for NFL teams please explain the following list:

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Julian Love
Riley Ridley
Christian Miller
Mack Wilson
Amani Hooker
D'andre Walker
Deointe Thompson
Anthony Nelson
Hakeen Butler

I see several safeties on this list yet Will Harris has been selected as well as Mike Edwards.

Apparently the "experts" know more than every NFL coaching staff since every staff has passed on the list of players given.

That happens EVERY year. About 90 guys get projected to go in the 1st 2 Rounds.

It does seem that a lot of Safeties are falling doesn't it? Might be worth snagging one of the bigger safeties as a LB/S hybrid.
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with the player, I just think he was picked up earlier than needed.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 12:43 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Callahan on Sample pick

Callahan: “I think we want to be a dominant run offense. Any piece we can get to do that, we’re all for. This division is notorious for being hard and tough, with the weather and physicality. Its reputation is a physical one, so the more physical we can be, the better. The player’s we’ve added speak to that. You have to run the football in this league; it’s not a secret. These guys help us do that.”

We're clearly trying to establish an identity here. That's something we've complained about for years...that we lacked identity or changed it on a yearly basis. I like what Taylor and co are doing, and I like it enough to not worry as much that we may have taken a TE a smidge early (according to draft sites). 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 12:02 PM)Destro Wrote: I'm fine with the player, I just think he was picked up earlier than needed.

How do we know this? The only thing we have to go on is mock drafts, which look hilariously inaccurate after the draft.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 01:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How do we know this? The only thing we have to go on is mock drafts, which look hilariously inaccurate after the draft.

Knowing isn't it. Knowing means Tom Brady would have gone 1st overall, back then and the Browns would not have had more first round QB fails then any team in history. All we can do is go by off what information is available. Usually, after the top 4 or 5 every year, I think it gets murky. Second round even worse. 

Now with all the picks I have seen, this is the only question mark I have. Maybe he will be a Pro Bowler, maybe he does a serviceable job for a long time, but is never thought of being good, maybe he isn't on the team in 6 years. I don't know, but I have opinion and that is he wasn't worth the 2nd round position. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:39 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: Would you rather have Drew Sample or Josh Rosen?

Drew Sample and Ryan Finley...
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 02:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Drew Sample and Ryan Finley...

Best reply all day thank you!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 02:40 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Best reply all day thank you!

You are welcome!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 11:19 AM)OSUfan Wrote: So to those who so closely believe the "experts" over those actually working for NFL teams please explain the following list:

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Julian Love
Riley Ridley
Christian Miller
Mack Wilson
Amani Hooker
D'andre Walker
Deointe Thompson
Anthony Nelson
Hakeen Butler

I see several safeties on this list yet Will Harris has been selected as well as Mike Edwards.

Apparently the "experts" know more than every NFL coaching staff since every staff has passed on the list of players given.

If you actually do research looking at evaluators instead of forecasters this list is exactly as expected.  go look in the draft forum where I used Mack Wilson as an example of why he is a late round pick on the evaluators boards.  

And I don't get why people can't seem to grasp that no one is saying Sample isn't a decent prospect, it's just they could have gotten him in the 4th or 5th round.   And people keep talking about how the Rams used their tight ends but go look, they didn't.  The mostly run 3WR sets.  

And it's about what we missed.  At the 2nd pick we could have had an impact player.  If you really wanted a QB you could have taken Drew Lock who is a 10X better prospect than a 25 year old Finley.    Or you could have used the pick for about 20 other excellent picks that could end up all pro.

The best news about all this is that we didn't improve that much and should suck again helping them to get a better draft pick next year and hopefully a new front office that knows how to draft and run professional franchise. 
Reply/Quote
I think drafting him was good, just not at where they did. I think he will have decent production and i am glad he is a bengal but i think we could have still gotten him later in the draft and utilized that pick on bpa. There were definitely better players available.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 02:54 PM)yang Wrote: If you actually do research looking at evaluators instead of forecasters this list is exactly as expected.  go look in the draft forum where I used Mack Wilson as an example of why he is a late round pick on the evaluators boards.  

And I don't get why people can't seem to grasp that no one is saying Sample isn't a decent prospect, it's just they could have gotten him in the 4th or 5th round.   And people keep talking about how the Rams used their tight ends but go look, they didn't.  The mostly run 3WR sets.  

And it's about what we missed.  At the 2nd pick we could have had an impact player.  If you really wanted a QB you could have taken Drew Lock who is a 10X better prospect than a 25 year old Finley.    Or you could have used the pick for about 20 other excellent picks that could end up all pro.

The best news about all this is that we didn't improve that much and should suck again helping them to get a better draft pick next year and hopefully a new front office that knows how to draft and run professional franchise. 
You are a comical guy. So if you know who these guys are that are all better players then you should probably be working for a franchise shouldn't you?
Lock has potential but he also brings a far higher bust factor than a guy like Finley. So please what makes Lock, as you put it, 10X better prospect. Please do tell I would love to hear this.
Reply/Quote
If you ever doubted folks on here like to argue. This thread is on page 9, the next highest drafted player thread died at 3.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 02:54 PM)yang Wrote: If you actually do research looking at evaluators instead of forecasters this list is exactly as expected.  go look in the draft forum where I used Mack Wilson as an example of why he is a late round pick on the evaluators boards.  

Tbh, i bet sample has a better career than drew lock. I just dont see lock being any better than a decent backup. Probably out of the league entirely in 4 years. Will c i guess.
Reply/Quote
Drew Sample was taken for his blocking ability, not his pass catching production. There’s nothing wrong with this. In fact, the selection of Sample gives me insight to what Zac Taylor is thinking on offense. You can think of a blocking tight end as basically an extra tackle who is eligible to catch passes. The Rams’ tight ends are all tremendous blockers too.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Drew Sample was taken for his blocking ability, not his pass catching production. There’s nothing wrong with this. In fact, the selection of Sample gives me insight to what Zac Taylor is thinking on offense. You can think of a blocking tight end as basically an extra tackle who is eligible to catch passes. The Rams’ tight ends are all tremendous blockers too.

Exactly, Zac wanted a great blocking TE, we got the best in the Draft.

People crying about where the player is drafted aren't looking at the overall Draft.

This is how i look at a Draft. It is like when we got both Will Jax and Billings, never thought that would happen as i had them as the best players at their respective positions and both first round picks. Some players fall for whatever reason and wind up being great, lets hope players like Sample become great. He has good hands and was not utilized properly in this aspect at Washington.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 12:02 PM)Destro Wrote: I'm fine with the player, I just think he was picked up earlier than needed.

Welcome Drew Sample! Who Dey If you are able to put Eifert in the past and forgettable, then you'll know you've accomplished a lot with the BENGALS. Yes  Let's have a Sample Dey!

PS. What Destro said.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you ever doubted folks on here like to argue. This thread is on page 9, the next highest drafted player thread died at 3.

I mean, tight ends are probably the least sexy pick after Kickers/Punters so it's only fair to think there would be a big thread of people hating it and people loving it. 
Reply/Quote
I just had to look back and see who’s biased and crazy. Love how anyone the Bengals would have picked the homers would come out swinging justifying the pick. Good times. So far this pick wasn’t very good.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 09:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I just had to look back and see who’s biased and crazy.  Love how anyone the Bengals would have picked  the homers would come out swinging justifying the pick.  Good times.   So far this pick wasn’t very good.

Digging up posts from 5 months ago, just to find another thing to complain about?

Football is a team sport.  They win or lose, as a team.  If we get rid of everyone that these three losses have been pinned on, there might not be enough guys left to field a team..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 09:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I just had to look back and see who’s biased and crazy.  Love how anyone the Bengals would have picked  the homers would come out swinging justifying the pick.  Good times.   So far this pick wasn’t very good.

You mean you don't like a 2nd Round pick that barely plays in Year 1?

But, he's a blocking TE. Get it...he blocks! ZT loves blocking TE's!

You simply don't see the genius in taking a blocking TE in the 2nd Round that was surprised he went that high himself!
Reply/Quote