Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome B.W. Webb to Bengals
This positive welcome that we use to give new Bengals may well get moved to one of the negative posts bashing his signing as many on here rave about how great the Cleveland Browns are. That's OK by me either way. So far Bengals signed a couple of their own players as would be expected. They have brought in Webb who a coach knows and likes. It is early, look for this to be the first of many new players brought in by the new coaching staff. Considering Bengals Swiss Cheese Defense of 2018, I welcome Webb and any D Help they can bring in. Remember, you don't live in Cleveland. GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
You'd hope two threads to complain about the guy would be enough, but we'll see what happens in this one... Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 12:17 AM)NKURyan Wrote: You'd hope two threads to complain about the guy would be enough, but we'll see what happens in this one... Wink

As I say, we use to have positive welcome threads to new Bengals. I had to double check to see if I was on BengalsBoard or BrownsClowns. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I remember B-Dub coming out of college and liked him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 12:24 AM)kevin Wrote: As I say, we use to have positive welcome threads to new Bengals. I had to double check to see if I was on BengalsBoard or BrownsClowns. 

Positivity? Here? Madness!  Tongue

I hope he does well here. I'll feel a million times better about it if they manage to get Dennard or another CB in the fold as well, for sure, but if the guy has made it through 7 seasons in the NFL he's better than a lot of what we already have at CB.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 12:33 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Positivity? Here? Madness!  Tongue

I hope he does well here. I'll feel a million times better about it if they manage to get Dennard or another CB in the fold as well, for sure, but if the guy has made it through 7 seasons in the NFL he's better than a lot of what we already have at CB.

Nah, Dennard, Jackson, Kirkpatrick, have been an excellent set of corners and before that was Adam Jones, Nate Clements, Leon Hall, JJoe. To make a guy who had never earned more than the vet min a starting slot corner on this team is definite downgrade.

Reply/Quote
Webb will play slot and ST.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:30 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Nah, Dennard, Jackson, Kirkpatrick, have been an excellent set of corners and before that was Adam Jones, Nate Clements, Leon Hall, JJoe. To make a guy who had never earned more than the vet min a starting slot corner on this team is definite downgrade.

Dennard has been a bust to me, take a guy that high at CB and get his production, not good enough.Hall was good but he was the 18th pick in the draft, had a few good years but damn not like he was a 6th round pick. WJJR had a great rookie year, struggled last year but still he can be as good or hopefully better than Hall or Jones. Pacman wasn't great either, big returns were fun but him losing his shit to the stealers in the Hill fuckery game didn't help. JJoe was good, but if WJJR can be as good we need to sign him instead of letting another great player go, again. Kirkpatrick can be better too, still young. And what about Bates? Williams? Bates played great last year and Williams. Webb might work out, new DC knows him and he might fell less pressure being signed for 3 years. The Bengals CBs are not the problem. 
Reply/Quote
I saw it was 3 years $13 million, is that true?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:30 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Nah, Dennard, Jackson, Kirkpatrick, have been an excellent set of corners and before that was Adam Jones, Nate Clements, Leon Hall, JJoe. To make a guy who had never earned more than the vet min a starting slot corner on this team is definite downgrade.

I didn't say "all", I said "a lot". He's almost certainly better than Harris, Phillips, McRae, and whatever guy they inevitably grab in the 6th round. The Dennard thing hasn't shaken out yet so we'll see on that, but I think this guy can definitely contribute.

The fact that he had his best year under our new DC is also a positive.
Reply/Quote
Per PFF he is much better in the slot than on the outside so that's positive news.
Reply/Quote
We ended up giving him more money than i was hoping but i can live with it.

I was very afraid we were going to overpay Dennard. He is not worth big money. And all this talk that the season is doomed if he isnt brought back was laughable. I thought Philips showed promise and Mcrae.

If Webb plays the next three years like he did last year his contract will look like a bargain. Its not like he is over the hill. He mau have finally figured it out and we just locked him up for his prime years at a discount price.
Reply/Quote
My brother is a Giants fan and he said he's pretty decent.
Reply/Quote
What I'll say about Webb is that this past year...some of his advanced pass defense metrics for a slot CB looked pretty good.
Reply/Quote
The thing about Webb, is while he hasn't set the league on fire, he has improved every year, and had his best year under Lou. I expect he will compete to start in the slot. It also shows Dennard that he is not necessarily going to get huge money, and if he doesn't get a lot of other offers, he will accept less to come back. I'm not all that impressed with Dennard, he's good in spurts, but injured a lot.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 11:40 AM)NKURyan Wrote: I didn't say "all", I said "a lot". He's almost certainly better than Harris, Phillips, McRae, and whatever guy they inevitably grab in the 6th round. The Dennard thing hasn't shaken out yet so we'll see on that, but I think this guy can definitely contribute.

The fact that he had his best year under our new DC is also a positive.

Yeah, but Harris, Phillips and McRae are not starters, except in case of an injury for a game or two here and there. Webb could be an every week starter.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 04:03 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, but Harris, Phillips and McRae are not starters, except in case of an injury for a game or two here and there. Webb could be an every week starter.

Might be, might not be. I'd like to see a few more days of FA go by and see where Dennard ends up before I call Webb a starter.
Reply/Quote
More on Webb's deal, which seems very well structured to limit risk for the Bengals...

Reply/Quote
Hobson just noted the Webb signing doesn’t preclude the return of Dennard....that could actually work out really well if it happen. We got exposed last year when Dre and Dennard both dealt with injuries, so getting more depth would be nice.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 07:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: More on Webb's deal, which seems very well structured to limit risk for the Bengals...

Thank you for sharing that. Sounds like what Au165 said... I don't necessarily think he's our slot guy, just depth.
Reply/Quote