Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Back, AJ Green!
It certainly was great to see AJ Green at the top of the stat sheet again! He caught five passes for 51 yards and almost hauled in a long touchdown pass from Joe Burrow. I'm over the Offensive Pass Interference call already; it showed me AJ was being his old aggressive self.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
AJ pretty much looked like his old self. Very encouraging to see. Considering how long it had been since he had played, I thought he did quite well. Once him and Burrow get their timing down (more on Burrow) look out.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 08:02 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It certainly was great to see AJ Green at the top of the stat sheet again!  He caught five passes for 51 yards and almost hauled in a long touchdown pass from Joe Burrow.  I'm over the Offensive Pass Interference call already; it showed me AJ was being his old aggressive self.  

But but but... AJ will be out for the year after the first few plays..... Ninja
Reply/Quote
I was going to put it in another thread, but I'll put it here. AJ still has some rust to shake off and I am hoping he does it quick. There was one play in particular that bothered me yesterday.

[Image: Eh1z-2aX0AEfuk6?format=jpg&name=small]

The route I am specifically referencing is the downfield throw to the end zone that he got squeezed out of bounds. He got a good outside release off the line beating the corner, but once he had him beat he didn't work back to his split but instead faded to the sideline. A lot of times when you see practice fields you will see a red line painted down the field inside the sideline. They call it "holding the red line" and basically what it means is when you are running a go route you have to work back to that line on the field in order to give your QB enough space to put the ball infield and give yourself enough room to catch it. This has been one of my biggest annoyances with John Ross on deep balls and yesterday AJ didn't help his rookie QB out by fading to the sideline. In fact, even if AJ catches that ball he stepped out of bounds at the pylon so it would have been illegal touching.

AJ hopefully plays a cleaner game on Thursday night and he and Joe can connect on some of the deep shot issues, obviously, Joe had a horribly missed one to AJ in this one as well.
Reply/Quote
AJ is not only working off the rust, he is also regaining confidence in his body. He will be back to old form soon.
Reply/Quote
Great to see AJ haul in that disallowed touchdown.

Obviously it was ruled out for OPI but everything after the deemed illegal contact was so encouraging with the way he caught it and got his toes down he looked like the AJ of old and bodes well for the rest of the season.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 08:35 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: Great to see AJ haul in that disallowed touchdown.

Obviously it was ruled out for OPI but everything after the deemed illegal contact was so encouraging with the way he caught it and got his toes down he looked like the AJ of old and bodes well for the rest of the season.

Footwork was nice on that one.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 08:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: I was going to put it in another thread, but I'll put it here. AJ still has some rust to shake off and I am hoping he does it quick. There was one play in particular that bothered me yesterday.

The route I am specifically referencing is the downfield throw to the end zone that he got squeezed out of bounds. He got a good outside release off the line beating the corner, but once he had him beat he didn't work back to his split but instead faded to the sideline. A lot of times when you see practice fields you will see a red line painted down the field inside the sideline. They call it "holding the red line" and basically what it means is when you are running a go route you have to work back to that line on the field in order to give your QB enough space to put the ball infield and give yourself enough room to catch it. This has been one of my biggest annoyances with John Ross on deep balls and yesterday AJ didn't help his rookie QB out by fading to the sideline. In fact, even if AJ catches that ball he stepped out of bounds at the pylon so it would have been illegal touching.

AJ hopefully plays a cleaner game on Thursday night and he and Joe can connect on some of the deep shot issues, obviously, Joe had a horribly missed one to AJ in this one as well.

Thanks mate, as someone from overseas who doesn't have that sort of knowledge into the game I found this post very beneficial.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I saw the illegal step out too, it was only half of one foot. I granted him leniency on that, didn't catch that TD anyway lol
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 08:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: I was going to put it in another thread, but I'll put it here. AJ still has some rust to shake off and I am hoping he does it quick. There was one play in particular that bothered me yesterday.

I just saw AJ's quote in Hobson's piece, sounds like he knows the got squeezed and he can't do it.

"I just have to give him more space. The corner widened, and I should've stayed skinny to his hip," Green said. "It's a lot of stuff I still have to work, I still got to get in the swing of things. There's still no excuse. But I definitely have to leave him a little more room on the sideline.
Reply/Quote
Looking at the route chart it looked like They werent exactly varying
The depth and the routes.
99% of his routes he was lined up on the right side .Either ZT is too dumb to move Green around the formations or
They are easing him back in slowly.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 10:08 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Looking at the route chart it looked like They werent exactly varying
The depth and the routes.
99% of his routes he was lined up on the right side .Either ZT is too dumb to move Green around the formations  or
They are easing him back in slowly.

That's his targets, not his whole route chart. It did seem Burrow preferred to target his right side most of the game.
Reply/Quote
AJ looked a step slower to me.

I don't know if that's just due to working his way back, or not having a traditional offseason. Or maybe it was just my imganition. But I'm curious if I'm the only one who thinks/saw this.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 10:16 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: AJ looked a step slower to me.

I don't know if that's just due to working his way back, or not having a traditional offseason. Or maybe it was just my imganition. But I'm curious if I'm the only one who thinks/saw this.

I didn’t think so. He could have very easily had a 2 TD game.

Reply/Quote