Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Welcome Brad Robbins
Punter competition going on Chrisman is on notice. Plus Bengals seem to like Michigan players.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Robbins was tied for national lead in hangtime with an average of 4.27 seconds per punt. He has a low yards per attempt (42.2) but has one of the higher net yards per attempt in the nation. He was in the upper echelon of college punters. Good pick.
Reply/Quote
Robbins should win that easily.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Darrin Simmons had a private workout with Robbins on Good Friday in Ann Arbor. Robbins also was the holder for 3rd round pick K Jake Moody so that could be an easy transition for Evan McPherson

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I like my punters saying "Holy shit." Bring on the special teams competition.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Every nfl coach “we’re fired up to have you”
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 07:33 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Every nfl coach “we’re fired up to have you”

Let's get it!

Ready to work!

Alright, man.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:50 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Robbins was tied for national lead in hangtime with an average of 4.27 seconds per punt. He has a low yards per attempt (42.2) but has one of the higher net yards per attempt in the nation. He was in the upper echelon of college punters. Good pick.

Now, I am beginning to understand another facet of this particular draft.  Mission: Improve the STs.  Last year was a rare down year under Darrin Simmons tenure as STs coach, I'm sure the team listened and looked at the data and agreed with his point of view.  That explains why the team might draft 2 late round WRs with good movement numbers and one with a return pedigree, along with 2 CBs and another Safety, not to mention a punter with the best hang time around.  

I'm willing to bet that the Bengals STs units are going to be vastly improved this season.  Better field position = Easier opportunity to put up points, not to mention pinning teams deep to start drives.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 07:24 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I like my punters saying "Holy shit." Bring on the special teams competition.

Hilarious

Loved that as well, made me lol

It just hit him. Sounds like the Punter I was wanting. I liked Turk but this guy has better hang time.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now, I am beginning to understand another facet of this particular draft.  Mission: Improve the STs.  Last year was a rare down year under Darrin Simmons tenure as STs coach, I'm sure the team listened and looked at the data and agreed with his point of view.  That explains why the team might draft 2 late round WRs with good movement numbers and one with a return pedigree, along with 2 CBs and another Safety, not to mention a punter with the best hang time around.  

I'm willing to bet that the Bengals STs units are going to be vastly improved this season.  Better field position = Easier opportunity to put up points, not to mention pinning teams deep to start drives.

Well, special teams were a significant factor in the Bengals loss to KC in the AFCCC. The KC punter would pin the Bengals deep. Meanwhile, it was looking like the game was going to overtime when the lousy Bengals punt and coverage (and no-call) put KC in good field position.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now, I am beginning to understand another facet of this particular draft.  Mission: Improve the STs.  Last year was a rare down year under Darrin Simmons tenure as STs coach, I'm sure the team listened and looked at the data and agreed with his point of view.  That explains why the team might draft 2 late round WRs with good movement numbers and one with a return pedigree, along with 2 CBs and another Safety, not to mention a punter with the best hang time around.  

Good call. I can dig it.

My goal would be to run up the score every week. Let our starters rest and keep them fresh for the year and get our young depth some playing time and experience.
Reply/Quote
I must be a shitty fan because i thought the new kid was doing just fine at punter, lol.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 02:38 AM)basballguy Wrote: I must be a shitty fan because i thought the new kid was doing just fine at punter, lol.

He kicks it far but has no finesse to his game that’s a major flaw. Like he outkicks coverage and lets off good returns. Hopefully the new draftee can avoid that.
Reply/Quote
Cool channel focused on Special Teams called Isaac Punts. I've seen several of his vids over the years and he does a pretty good job breaking down punters. He must be a former punter or a youth ST coach. Posted two weeks ago.

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:50 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Robbins was tied for national lead in hangtime with an average of 4.27 seconds per punt. He has a low yards per attempt (42.2) but has one of the higher net yards per attempt in the nation. He was in the upper echelon of college punters. Good pick.

Yes the hang time stat is key...if Chrisman didnt send out that weak cruise missile VS KC we might have won that game.
That must have had a linguering effect on what we really needed at Punter 
And I like the stache,
Reply/Quote
He has good hang times but he can't boom kicks. A punter needs both, seems like Crisman has a better chance of increasing his hang time, than the rookie has of kicking longer.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 12:29 PM)Redsbengalsbucks Wrote: He has good hang times but he can't boom kicks.  A punter needs both, seems like Crisman has a better chance of increasing his hang time, than the rookie has of kicking longer.

He can boom them as well. In 2021, he actually had a higher average hang time while averaging 46 yards per kick. I am not sure why it dropped in 2022. It could just be statistical variation as he only attempted 40-ish punts per season and maybe field position dictated he kick them shorter or it could have been at the directive of coaching I.E. keep the hangtime but kick it shorter so we can prevent more returns. It is hard to say, but he does have the leg to kick them deeper. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 12:20 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Yes the hang time stat is key...if Chrisman didnt send out that weak cruise missile VS KC we might have won that game.
That must have had a linguering effect on what we really needed at Punter 
And I like the stache,

Not speaking to you directly, but it really shouldn't be a surprise to fans that placement direction and finesse are more important these days in the NFl than a boomer leg.  And it shouldn't be a surprise that that is what Simmons was after considering, that is what Huber was for a decade.  Though Huber came in a with a boomer leg, he turned into finesse AND this lengthened his career as well.  

The guy we drafted was the drafts best of the best in hang time, fair catches and LACK of touchbacks.  The only reason his average was down was because Michigan rocked last year and he did a lot of punting from mid-field, when he had to punt at all, thus shorter averages because he wasn't kicking it into the end zone.

See the video posted above by Vinyl.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 12:35 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: He can boom them as well. In 2021, he actually had a higher average hang time while averaging 46 yards per kick. I am not sure why it dropped in 2022. It could just be statistical variation as he only attempted 40-ish punts per season and maybe field position dictated he kick them shorter or it could have been at the directive of coaching I.E. keep the hangtime but kick it shorter so we can prevent more returns. It is hard to say, but he does have the leg to kick them deeper. 

See the video - the expert breaking it down discusses why his average dropped.  Two factors - In one game against Maryland, 3 of his 4 punts were into an incredible wind, which brought down his overall average by 1.5 y/g for the entire year.  And since Mich was so good he was punting from 40 to 40 a lot, which considering he never kicked one into the endzone has an effect as well.
Reply/Quote