Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Brian Callahan
(01-23-2019, 07:56 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Not a fan of Fisher personally, but I would honestly be happy with any of those names as DC

Trivia: I have no clue but am intrigued

The defense wasn't the biggest turnaround with the Rams. Not by a long shot.
The Rams had a top 10 defense WITH Jeff Fisher.

The BIG turn around is going from literally the worst NFL scoring offense to the best in one year.
Heck. Three of the quarterbacks on the 2016 team went on to the conference championship in 2017. One winning the Super Bowl.
They've won a combined 8 playoff games the last two years.

Jeff Fisher was a problem for that team.
Also, there wasn't as significant as a turnover from 2016-2017.
They added Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, and Watkins.
Drafted Everrett, Kupp, and Reynolds.

2018? Cooks. Peters. Suh. Fowler Jr. Talib. Shields.
That's just FA.

I wasn't trying to imply the defense was bad under Fisher, but Phillips always takes a defense to a different level.  Donald played 14 games and still that defense gave up 65 less points than the prior season.

As for player turnover, bringing in 2 All-Pro offensive linemen and 5 new receiving threats is pretty drastic.

My main point about turnover was that it was a considerably better roster than the one Fisher coached.  I probably should have worded it as such.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't want Fisher here. Nothing against the guy, but he sees himself as a head coach, and I think he would struggle working for a young inexperienced guy like Taylor. I want Taylor running the show, not his coaches undercutting him.
Reply/Quote
Awesome! Bring Bill in as the O-line coach, Del Rio as the DC and i would be ecstatic!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 09:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't want Fisher here. Nothing against the guy, but he sees himself as a head coach, and I think he would struggle working for a young inexperienced guy like Taylor. I want Taylor running the show, not his coaches undercutting him.

i believe fisher isnt interested in anything less than a HC job
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 12:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i believe fisher isnt interested in anything less than a HC job

I don't either, in fact, I think he came out and said that..... I'm just saying if he does not get one (which he won't), I don't want him as a coordinator here...
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz9MGyE6kyE
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 09:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not worried about our OC having limited experience as our presumed HC also has an offensive pedigree.

Now if we hire an inexperienced DC then I would worry.

I don't know if I am worried, but the fact that neither Taylor nor Callahan has never ran an offense at the pro level doesn't get me all excited either. But after having Lazor and Zampese, I guess it can't get too much worse, so there is that.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I would really like to see Zac emulate what Mcvay has done in this situation where we go with a pass game coordinator and a run game coordinator. Zac as head coach and calling plays. Press Taylor as Pass game coordinator. Brian Callahan as the run game coordinator. Alex van pelt as the qb coach. I wouldent be surprised to see something like that happen.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It wasn't a night, it was an afternoon.

I recall turning off the TV to go the grocery store ecstatic at the news.  Got back to the house in under an hour, and he was a freakin' Raider!

They have always seemed to mess up the really exciting trades - including the McCarron trade.

They don't take professional responsibility for getting what they want.   They go to sleep behind the wheel.
Reply/Quote
Since I don't know much about Brian Callahan, I wanted to do a little work summary on him as well.

Coaching Assistant Denver Broncos 2010 (4-12)
  • 334/580 (57.6%), 4,307 yards, 25-12 TD-INT, 40 sacks
  • 398 attempts 1,544 yards, 3.9 YPC, 13 TD
  • Notes: Coached under Josh McDaniels and Mike McCoy w/ Adam Gase (WR's). Kyle Orton/Tim Tebow were the QB's.

Offensive Quality Control Coach Denver Broncos 2011-12

2011 (8-8)
  • 217/429 (50.6%), 2,708 yards, 20-13 TD-INT, 42 sacks
  • 546 attempts 2,632 yards, 4.8 YPC, 11 TD
  • Notes: Coached under John Fox (HC) and Mike McCoy (OC) w/ Adam Gase (QB's). Orton/Tebow were the QB's.
2012 (13-3)
  • 402/588 (68.4%), 4,671 yards, 37-11 TD-INT, 21 sacks
  • 481 attempts, 1,832 yards, 3.8 YPC, 12 TD
  • Notes: Coached under John Fox (HC) and Mike McCoy (OC). Adam Gase (QB's). Peyton Manning was QB.

Offensive Assistant Denver Broncos 2013-15

2013 (13-3)
  • 461/675 (68.3%), 5,572 yards, 55-10 TD-INT, 20 sacks
  • 461 attempts, 1,873 yards, 4.1 YPC, 16 TD
  • Notes: Coached under John Fox (HC) and Adam Gase (OC). Peyton Manning was QB.
2014 (12-4)
  • 399/607 (65.7%), 4,779 yards, 40-15 TD-INT, 17 sacks
  • 443 attempts, 1,785 yards, 4.0 YPC, 15 TD
  • Notes: Coached under John Fox (HC) and Adam Gase (OC). Peyton Manning was QB.
2015 (12-4)
  • 368/606 (60.7%), 4,216 yards, 19-23 TD-INT, 39 sacks
  • 411 attempts, 1,718 yards, 4.2 YPC, 13 TD
  • Notes: Coached under Gary Kubiak (HC) and Rick Dennison (OC). Manning/Osweiler were the QB's.

Quarterbacks Coach Detroit Lions 2016-17

2016 (9-7)
  • 388/594 (65.3%), 4,327 yards, 24-10 TD-INT, 37 sacks
  • 350 attempts, 1,310 yards, 3.7 YPC, 9 TD
  • Notes: Coached under Jim Caldwell (HC) and Jim Bob Cooter (OC). Matthew Stafford was the QB.

2017 (9-7)
  • 374/570 (65.6%), 4,470 yards, 29-10 TD-INT, 47 sacks
  • 363 attempts, 1,221 yards, 10 TD
  • Notes: Coached under Jim Caldwell (HC) and Jim Bob Cooter (OC)

Quarterbacks Coach Oakland Raiders 2018

2018 (4-12)
  • 382/556 (68.7%), 4,057 yards, 19-10 TD-INT, 52 sacks
  • 387 attempts, 1,628 yards, 4.2 YPC, 9 TD
  • Notes: Coached under Jon Gruden (HC) and Greg Olsen (OC). Derek Carr was the QB

Honestly his body of work isn't bad. He's coached under some good young offensive minds like Gase and Olsen. And the teams he's been on have been moderately succesful.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 03:19 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: I would really like to see Zac emulate what Mcvay has done in this situation where we go with a pass game coordinator and a run game coordinator.  Zac as head coach and calling plays.  Press Taylor as Pass game coordinator.  Brian Callahan as the run game coordinator.  Alex van pelt as the qb coach.  I wouldent be surprised to see something like that happen.

During the press conference or in another interview I heard, he was asked about Press and said something like he'd like to work with him someday but now was not the time.  I was kinda hoping to see them both together myself. 

Three QB guys here now.  AD will be in good hands.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Quote:Callahan won’t call plays on Sunday. Taylor does that, but he’ll be Taylor’s eyes and ears throughout the week, an offensive chief of staff so to speak. Their roles conjure up Bengaldom Super Bowl memories of head coach Sam Wyche and offensive coordinator Bruce Coslet. Wyche also called that a collaboration of not just them, but everyone on staff, just as Taylor is describing it. Once Wyche called the making of his game plans “an eruption of ideas.”
:andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 01:26 AM)McC Wrote: During the press conference or in another interview I heard, he was asked about Press and said something like he'd like to work with him someday but now was not the time.  I was kinda hoping to see them both together myself. 

Three QB QB guys here now.  AD will be in good hands.

The combination of Taylor, Callahan, and Van Pelt will also be interesting if it comes time to draft a replacement QB in the next couple of years.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Finally got around to watching this interview...… https://www.bengals.com/video/callahan-it-s-going-to-be-the-bengals-offense-and-run-it-how-we-want-to-run-it

I like when he was asked about the Offensive Line, his statement was that it was the most important part, and is often overlooked. He also said they will start out evaluating the players that are here and will decide where the need to upgrade is. I suspect they will be starting with the oline… they all seem to really like Andy.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 12:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Finally got around to watching this interview...… https://www.bengals.com/video/callahan-it-s-going-to-be-the-bengals-offense-and-run-it-how-we-want-to-run-it

I like when he was asked about the Offensive Line, his statement was that it was the most important part, and is often overlooked. He also said they will start out evaluating the players that are here and will decide where the need to upgrade is. I suspect they will be starting with the oline… they all seem to really like Andy.

Great news, they have their priorities in order it seems.
Reply/Quote