Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Brian Callahan
(01-22-2019, 08:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Just not sold on his experience. I guess I was hoping for more? I am excited about ZT, and terrified at the same time. He lacks it as well, but I guess names are made somewhere, let’s hope they’re made in Cincinnati. I really don’t want another long term failure. If that happens, there will be another book written about a group who walked in circles for 40yrs looking for the promised land. Ninja

I hear ya, brother.  I'm a bit nervous, as well.

But, we have agonizingly waited patiently, as the Bengals tried the "slow and steady" approach, throughout the Marvin Lewis era.  Perhaps now is the right time to latch onto a couple of shooting stars, and see if they can do any better?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm not worried about our OC having limited experience as our presumed HC also has an offensive pedigree.

Now if we hire an inexperienced DC then I would worry.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 09:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not worried about our OC having limited experience as our presumed HC also has an offensive pedigree.

Well said.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 09:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not worried about our OC having limited experience as our presumed HC also has an offensive pedigree.

I guess the key here is both will have something to prove and be very passionate about achieving a goal. Hope the players are ready for passion in a coaching staff. Going to be something their not used to.

Gonna see the heart doc soon and make sure I can handle this venture. LOL

Reply/Quote

As long as the DC doesn't run the current BirdBox defense then we should be okay.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Del Rio as DC would check multiple boxes.

We need a tough mentality overall. He will bring his axe and get to chopping.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 10:02 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Del Rio as DC would check multiple boxes.

Did you just use a "Marvinism" in reference to a potential new Defensive Coordinator??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 10:02 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Del Rio as DC would check multiple boxes.

Lots of folks would check the blocks:

JDR
Dom Capers
Mike Nolan
Jeff Fisher

Trivia time: What are JDR and Mike Nolan the only 2 Head Coaches to do in recent years?

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:30 PM)McC Wrote: Press seems like a long shot.  With the OC job taken, it would only leave QB coach and you'd have to wonder if Philly would let him leave for a lateral move.

Besides, Van Pelt has that job...
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 10:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Besides, Van Pelt has that job...

That too.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:43 PM)McC Wrote: One big job filled, one big job to go. 

If we're hiring Zac's guy, sounds like we truly are hiring Zac.

That hasn't really been a question for at least a week now, if not 2.  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 05:37 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Yep, this if true.  I also remember the infamous night when it looked like Warren Sapp was seconds away from signing.

It wasn't a night, it was an afternoon.

I recall turning off the TV to go the grocery store ecstatic at the news.  Got back to the house in under an hour, and he was a freakin' Raider!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 10:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Lots of folks would check the blocks:

JDR
Dom Capers
Mike Nolan
Jeff Fisher

Trivia time: What are JDR and Mike Nolan the only 2 Head Coaches to do in recent years?

Please remove that last name from your list...Look how well the Rams did as soon as he left. Hard to believe he almost won a Super Bowl. Plus if things were to go bad with Taylor as HC then I fear the Bengals would go back to their old ways and promote from within. Fisher is like Marvin Lewis with a few playoff wins.

And to your earlier Callahan question - I don’t think he’s with the Raiders at the Senior Bowl because after Gruden announced him as our OC he also said they were a little short-staffed.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:19 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Please remove that last name from your list...Look how well the Rams did as soon as he left. Hard to believe he almost won a Super Bowl.  Plus if things were to go bad with Taylor as HC then I fear the Bengals would go back to their old ways and promote from within. Fisher is like Marvin Lewis with a few playoff wins.

And to your earlier Callahan question - I don’t think he’s with the Raiders at the Senior Bowl because after Gruden announced him as our OC he also said they were a little short-staffed.

Dick LeBeau was also a failure as a HC, doesn't mean he wasn't a hell of a DC.

I figured as much about Callahan as I saw the Raiders OC working with the QBs today

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dick LeBeau was also a failure as a HC, doesn't mean he wasn't a hell of a DC.

I figured as much about Callahan as I saw the Raiders OC working with the QBs today

He might be a good DC but I would fear him becoming HC if he were part of the staff. JDR would be the guy I’d be happiest with them hiring.

Answer to your trivia about Nolan and JDR:

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:17 PM)McC Wrote: They might not dare to.  Stupid rule is stupid.

Not such a stupid rule.  I see the whole tampering thing.  You also don't want to ruin Super Bowl, World Series and such by having players and coaches leave team before the Super Bowl to go to other teams.  If Bengals ever make it back to Super Bowl, I wouldn't want key coaches and players leaving before the Super Bowl.  It would ruin the biggest game of the season.  The season is not about Draft Day.  So I see the reason for the Tampering Rules in place.  Hey, I can wait 12 more days for Head Coach to be announced.  I would hate these rules not in place, and key people not in Super Bowls because allowed to leave to other teams, because that would be stupid.  That would ruin the game. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 10:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Besides, Van Pelt has that job...

Hire him as a Passing Game Coordinator. Or whatever Shane Waldron's job is called. That's a promotion right?
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:19 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Please remove that last name from your list...Look how well the Rams did as soon as he left. Hard to believe he almost won a Super Bowl.  Plus if things were to go bad with Taylor as HC then I fear the Bengals would go back to their old ways and promote from within. Fisher is like Marvin Lewis with a few playoff wins.

There was also a ton of player turnover and bringing in Wade Phillips as DC.  That dude has constantly taken defenses to great heights in his first year on the team.

Nonetheless, Fisher has turned down multiple interviews for DC since being let go by LA.  He will only accept a HC job.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote:
Dick LeBeau was also a failure as a HC
, doesn't mean he wasn't a hell of a DC.

I recall him being saying in an interview in around 2008-09 that he would still be the Bengals HC had he had Palmer as his QB.
Reply/Quote
Chezaugie Wrote:And the now infamous AJ trade to the Browns.

I remember the Shaun Rogers trade that didn't happen I was pissed and he ended up going to the Browns in the end to make matters worse. 
Reply/Quote