Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Welcome Josh Newton
5th Round pick 149 Overall
DB TCU
5'11" 190lbs
https://www.the33rdteam.com/josh-newton-2024-nfl-draft-combine-results-scouting-report-for-tcu-cb/

Newton was named first-team All-Big 12 in 2022 and second-team All-Big 12 in 2023. He finished his career with 152 tackles, 8 TFLs, 7 INTs and 36 PBUs.

In 2022, Newton had 491 coverage snaps and was targeted on 61 pass attempts, allowing only 21 completions (34.4 percent) for 321 yards and five touchdowns with three interceptions and had 10 PBUs. He played from press alignment on only 162 of his 491 coverage snaps (33 percent of his snaps). Newton played more zone coverage than man (57 percent zone and 43 percent man).

In 2023, Newton had 389 coverage snaps, and he was targeted on 44 pass attempts, allowing 16 completions (36.4 percent) for 213 yards and one touchdown. He also recorded one interception and 14 PBUs (tied for fourth in the nation in PBUs).
Reply/Quote
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Bit of a departure from what they’ve done the last couple years at DB with the speedier guys (CTB, Turner, Dax, Anderson).

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:11 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 5th Round pick 149 Overall

5'11" 190lbs
https://www.the33rdteam.com/josh-newton-2024-nfl-draft-combine-results-scouting-report-for-tcu-cb/

Newton was named first-team All-Big 12 in 2022 and second-team All-Big 12 in 2023. He finished his career with 152 tackles, 8 TFLs, 7 INTs and 36 PBUs.

In 2022, Newton had 491 coverage snaps and was targeted on 61 pass attempts, allowing only 21 completions (34.4 percent) for 321 yards and five touchdowns with three interceptions and had 10 PBUs. He played from press alignment on only 162 of his 491 coverage snaps (33 percent of his snaps). Newton played more zone coverage than man (57 percent zone and 43 percent man).

In 2023, Newton had 389 coverage snaps, and he was targeted on 44 pass attempts, allowing 16 completions (36.4 percent) for 213 yards and one touchdown. He also recorded one interception and 14 PBUs (tied for fourth in the nation in PBUs).

Those are some decent numbers. I need to watch him this week.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Just awful coverage of this by ESPN and NFL Network. Really, no coverage of this pick at all. So I went to CBS draft tracker and pulled up highlight scout film on Youtube. Newton has weaknesses which you would expect at pick 5. Not a good tackler. Not that fast. His upside is quick feet, good hip movement, and great at press coverage. ...Highlight film says he could be a Day 2 or Day 3 pick and this guy could be an NFL starter at Nickle. OK, Zac plays 5 DB's 70 % to 80 % of the time. So there it is. A tall physical CB good in press coverage with quick feet that could develop into a good Nickle Back in NFL. Needs coached up on Tackling and other areas of his game. ....Nothing about Special Teams, so not a late round kick returner, no info that he can do that....A possible Nickle Back.

GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I ain't mad at it and anyone mad about the lack of starts by Mims should love this one
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I ain't mad at it and anyone mad about the lack of starts by Mims should love this one

No kidding heh. This guy has been playing college football since the Bush administration
Reply/Quote
The kid comes with a nickname...just call him Fig

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:24 PM)Synric Wrote: Those are some decent numbers. I need to watch him this week.

Unlike Dax, he has snaps. It does make a difference imho. He has played in big games and fits the criteria the coaches mostly have been drafting. A couple of gambles but most are high character caliber, team captain type of guys. 
Reply/Quote
I watched a video and his comparison was Cam Taylor Britt.

Seems like Lou is very confident in the pick and I like it.
He could have went much higher in the draft.
Can tackle and cover, decent speed.
Was a team captain. Should be a solid player.

Needed corner depth and this was a good pick.
Like all three defense picks and as a whole they certainly improve our defense and depth.
Great to improve the dline rotation and draft our future starters at DT.
This depth is vital late in games especially down the stretch in the playoffs.
Corner depth was a big need and they’re addressing that.
Safety was addressed in FA.

Defense should be better this year.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure I'll call him Josh Norman more than once

Reply/Quote
At the post pick press conference Lou did not rule out looking foe veteran CB help

Reply/Quote
[Image: PvSK77y.jpeg]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:40 PM)pally Wrote: At the post pick press conference Lou did not rule out looking foe veteran CB help

Hmm…Dehner took it the opposite.

Reply/Quote
I like this pick! Really seems like this kid has a chip and is going to prove he can play!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:11 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 5th Round pick 149 Overall
DB TCU
5'11" 190lbs

(04-27-2024, 04:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

(04-27-2024, 04:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hmm…Dehner took it the opposite.

Thanks for the info. Admittedly, I hadn't really paid much attention to the CB class beyond the top few in this years scouting season. Seems like even though he's not the prototypical "blazer", the dude definitely knows how to play football. Those PBU numbers are noteworthy.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:31 PM)CottonHill Wrote: No kidding heh. This guy has been playing college football since the Bush administration

Bo Nix think Josh played in college too long

Reply/Quote
I like this pick. Fine with it. I feel like a better alternative would have been the DE out of UCLA, Gabe Murphy or Mahogany, the interior O lineman.
Reply/Quote
Probably not the J. Newton that people were expecting to be on the team.
Reply/Quote