Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Welcome Josh Newton
I watched Josh Newton a lot over the years. Very good Corner with great instincts that you cannot teach and is very smart.

Excellent pick this late, thought he would go in the 4th round.
Reply/Quote
Josh Norman / Cam Newton had a love/hate child.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 07:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

7 interceptions and didn't make any plays on the ball. That is some weak shit. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Why DJ Ivey catching strays? He showed some flashes before getting hurt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 07:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why DJ Ivey catching strays? He showed some flashes before getting hurt.

I like DJ Ivey as well. Thought he was very impressive all preseason and he was praised all Offseason before he got hurt.

Poison Ivey is what Mike Hilton called him.

Nothing wrong with adding a smart, good tackling instinctive Corner to our group though. I like Josh Newton too.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bit of a departure from what they’ve done the last couple years at DB with the speedier guys (CTB, Turner, Dax, Anderson).

Neither Battle nor Stone are that speedy. Hilton either.
Reply/Quote
6.26 RAS. Lassiter & Rakestraw were in that neighborhood.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 07:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why DJ Ivey catching strays? He showed some flashes before getting hurt.

you never know how a player responds to ACL surgery.  Plus he may not be available right at the beginning of the season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 07:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: 7 interceptions and didn't make any plays on the ball. That is some weak shit. Mellow

Maybe someone can post the 7 picks cause i saw dudes tape and he didn’t look great at making a play on the ball and in a lot of the highlights i saw i feel like they would’ve been flags in the NFL. I honestly didn’t like what i saw other than despite his speed he did seem to be able to stick with guys and he was a solid tackle
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 12:15 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Neither Battle nor Stone are that speedy. Hilton either.

Not sure your point? I was talking about what type of DB’s they’ve liked *in the draft* recently. Hilton and Stone obviously weren’t drafted by the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 07:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why DJ Ivey catching strays? He showed some flashes before getting hurt.

Indeed, Poison looked great on STs AND the few snaps he took on D.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 03:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure your point? I was talking about what type of DB’s they’ve liked *in the draft* recently. Hilton and Stone obviously weren’t drafted by the Bengals.

Sorry, I did not realize your point was draft only.

Still, I don't really see the draft/FA distinction being very important. I mean, you think we draft one kind of guy but sign a different type? I mean, I guess for FA, you have NFL tape, so physical traits are less important. So maybe you do have the right of it here.

My point was that a big chunk of our DBs are not that speedy. Battle was drafted. So was Newton. Stone, Bell, and Hilton are not burners.

CTB, Turner, D. Hill, and Anderson ARE speedy. 

Ivey & J. Davis have good speed but are not burners. A lot of Ivey's high RAS was due to size & length, IIRC.

I guess the larger point is that we do not really have a type. I mean, you'd love a guy to check all the boxes: big, fast, quick, smart, physical, great tackler, zone & man, ball skills, leader, etc. 

But I think we have shown a willingness to sign or draft different types of guys.

Productivity, smarts, & leadership would be the three traits I'd say we most often go for. Even in the draft. Traits second. 

The guys most against type, for me, were Burton (marurity issues) and Johnson (raw, trait guy).

Even there, Burton has good tape, and we have TJ & Battle to vouch for him. And we tend to be more willing to go for raw guys later. Though, again, Murphy was pretty raw.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 07:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like DJ Ivey as well. Thought he was very impressive all preseason and he was praised all Offseason before he got hurt.

Poison Ivey is what Mike Hilton called him.

Nothing wrong with adding a smart, good tackling instinctive Corner to our group though. I like Josh Newton too.

I thought Hilton called him Ivey League (cause not everyone is admitted). 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2024, 05:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought Hilton called him Ivey League (cause not everyone is admitted). 

Hilarious

Funny stuff. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 12:37 PM)Housh Wrote: Maybe someone can post the 7 picks cause i saw dudes tape and he didn’t look great at making a play on the ball and in a lot of the highlights i saw i feel like they would’ve been flags in the NFL. I honestly didn’t like what i saw other than despite his speed he did seem to be able to stick with guys and he was a solid tackle

I cannot post the picks, but that is how many he had in college. Fig Newton is a ballhawk. I watched a vid the other day where a guy 
was breaking down his film and his comparison was Cameron Taylor Britt fittingly enough. One thing Fig does need to work on is he gets
a little too handsy and he is very aggressive, maybe a little too aggressive. This was CTB's problem as well, but he has adjusted well.

Hope the same happens with Fig Newton.
Reply/Quote