Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome LB Logan Wilson
(04-25-2020, 10:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So I'm assuming we will keep Bynes in the middle, with Wilson and Pratt at WILL and SAM. Who lines up where?

Keep in mind that they are in a 3-4 hybrid type scheme and a majority of the time they will be in nickel or dime.

So, if we ever go into a  base 3-4, you'd probably see Bynes and Pratt at ILB and Hubbard and Lawson at OLB.

In nickel you'll probably see a variety of guys rotating in with the guys that have shown they can cover in on passing downs
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 10:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is an interesting point:  Look at that talent, but what about the character?  Zac seems to want to get high-character guys to build a good team culture where Marv and co. always seemed to try and take shortcuts...get talent with character concerns in later rounds.  

AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Leon Hall, Geno Atkins, Carlo's Dunlap ,Whitworth, and Chris Crocker are not character guys? I don't get the fascination with this fan base on tearing down Marvin every chance we get. Especially considering that the dude is the main reason why this franchise is relevant right now. 
Zack is still unproven(I like him at Head coach) but he still has a lot to prove before he surpasses Marvin as the better coach.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 04:30 PM)J24 Wrote: AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Leon Hall, Geno Atkins, Carlo's Dunlap ,Whitworth, and Chris Crocker are not character guys? I don't get the fascination with this fan base on tearing down Marvin every chance we get. Especially considering that the dude is the main reason why this franchise is relevant right now. 
Zack is still unproven(I like him at Head coach) but he still has a lot to prove before he surpasses Marvin as the better coach.

They're still caught up in the 2000s when they took repeated character risks in the draft - Henry, Odell etc. and signed a few guys that had an issue.

They seem to forget that they shied away from those types later on.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 04:23 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: What?  That mellow looking dude in the picture with the guitar could pop a vein in his head? I don't think so. Even if the topic was Haslett.  

True, very mellow when playing the Geet. Even Haslett couldn't do that lol

Love it MasterPanthera. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 12:32 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Question, just so I can look into it myself. When did Tobin start running our drafts?

He was hired in 99. Marvin gets a lot of credit for turning the team around (and rightly so), but I think Tobin deserves his fair share as well. We really started making some great picks not long after he got here (Justin Smith, Chad, Rudi, TJ, etc).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 04:30 PM)J24 Wrote: AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Leon Hall, Geno Atkins, Carlo's Dunlap ,Whitworth, and Chris Crocker are not character guys? I don't get the fascination with this fan base on tearing down Marvin every chance we get. Especially considering that the dude is the main reason why this franchise is relevant right now. 

It isn't tearing him down when there were SO MANY risk draft picks.  Odell Thurman, Jason Shirley, Frostee Rucker, Chris Henry, Joe Mixon...the list goes on and on.  You even listed Carlos Dunlap, who slid to Rd 2 because he was found passed out drunk at the wheel of a car in the middle of an intersection.  Chris Crocker wasn't drafted by them, but if you want to include Free Agents, ok, then you can add the likes of Adam Jones to the list.  Instead of Ross, it has been rumored that Marvin really wanted Reuben Foster.  He was a first round pick with talent galore but horrible off field issues.  He has been a huge bust.  

I have said many times that I was grateful for what Marvin did for this franchise.  He helped pull it out of a decade mired largely in futility.  But at the same time the damn narrative of "high talent grade that slipped" was very common here.  All I did was point out that Zac and company seem to have changed their approach in that respect.  It wasn't a slight to Marvin...other teams have done that as well, but it was a complement to Taylor.  I think I would rather have a team with drive, good character, and leadership.  

I completely agree that Zac and company will have to prove their worth starting this year.  They get a pass in year one to evaluate, self-scout, adapt, and round out their staff.  This year, it will be no excuses.  
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 04:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: They're still caught up in the 2000s when they took repeated character risks in the draft - Henry, Odell etc. and signed a few guys that had an issue.

They seem to forget that they shied away from those types later on.

Like Joe Mixon?  The fact that it worked out for them thus far doesn't mean he wasn't a tremendous character risk.  
Reply/Quote
Between Free Agency and the draft we loaded up on linebackers and will likely have an almost totally new LB corps this season, with possibly only Pratt returning.

When in 3-4 I see us with Bynes and Wilson doing ILB and Pratt and Gaither at OLB. In 4-3 they can go with any number of combinations.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 12:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: Between Free Agency and the draft we loaded up on linebackers and will likely have an almost totally new LB corps this season, with possibly only Pratt returning.

When in 3-4 I see us with Bynes and Wilson doing ILB and Pratt and Gaither at OLB. In 4-3 they can go with any number of combinations.

They can go with any number of combinations in the 3-4, even crazier. I definitely could see Hubbard (a former DB) playing OLB
in a 3-4 and causing havoc. ADG sure is a light Linebacker, he is only like 220 pounds. I think Pratt is the most versatile Linebacker
we have cause he can play in the middle or the outside.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 11:45 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: If he can cover, great pick.

I'm here at Texas roadhouse watching Wyoming  Utah state. Logan Wilson  kust got burned
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 09:06 PM)SladeX Wrote: I'm here at Texas roadhouse watching Wyoming  Utah state. Logan Wilson  kust got burned

Nick Vigil burned or just average burned?
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 09:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Nick Vigil burned or just average burned?

We all know the Vigil burn and it ain't good.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 09:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Nick Vigil burned or just average burned?

He misplayed his assignment.  Actually it was a well designed  play, somewhat of a pick. They scored a TD.
I would be worried if he let it happen again. 

I was taking my wife out for her birthday so I  couldn't focus on the game. It was bad enough that I went to  digging up this thread and making mention of it, lol. Just happened to see it when we were sitting down.  I was like "Was that our LB we drafted?"...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 10:35 PM)SladeX Wrote: He misplayed his assignment.  Actually it was a well designed  play, somewhat of a pick. They scored a TD.
I would be worried if he let it happen again. 

I was taking my wife out for her birthday so I  couldn't focus on the game. It was bad enough that I went to  digging up this thread and making mention of it, lol. Just happened to see it when we were sitting down.  I was like "Was that our LB we drafted?"...

Every Linebacker gets burnt once in awhile. I wouldn't worry.

Wilson is very instinctive, is a great tackler and can cover. Something we needed direly at the position.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Like Joe Mixon?  The fact that it worked out for them thus far doesn't mean he wasn't a tremendous character risk.  

Yep.  But look at the last 5 years or so and ask yourself how many character risk guys we've drafted.  
Reply/Quote