Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome McKinley Jackson
(04-30-2024, 05:10 PM)3wt Wrote: We'll see Nate.   I loved Sweat's tape.   He rag dolled everything he touched.  He and JPJ were my two favorite linemen in the draft.

But I agree that Jackson has a lot of upside.   I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised by our two new DTs.   I can't wait to see them in action.

I hope opponents will realize by the middle of the season you can't run on the Cincinnati Bengals!  Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 05:10 PM)3wt Wrote: We'll see Nate.   I loved Sweat's tape.   He rag dolled everything he touched.  He and JPJ were my two favorite linemen in the draft.

But I agree that Jackson has a lot of upside.   I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised by our two new DTs.   I can't wait to see them in action.

Yes, we will see. I do like Sweat as a player, but I liked Byron Murphy WAY more and think he made Sweat look better at times.

Understand really liking JPJ as well, but Graham Barton was my guy if we went IOL this year as he was healthy.

Cannot wait myself to see these guys. The Mutant AKA Jenkins wasn't used a ton at Michigan as it was a deep rotation, but he 
can either bulk up or trim down to play wherever, but Jenkins was like the 2nd best run stopping DT in this Draft which is wild.

Jackson always impressed me and had him as our NT to grab especially after Sweat's DWI which was so insanely stupid.

(04-30-2024, 05:17 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Reaching on a day 2 pick (a third at that) by a round or two, is a whole lot different than doing that on day 1.

Only time will tell, but by all accounts the bengals liked him enough that the fit/need warranted the pick.  That’s really all that matters.

Truth.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 05:19 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I hope opponents will realize by the middle of the season you can't run on the Cincinnati Bengals!  Cool

If there is one thing I like a Bengals Defense to be, it is good stopping the run. I hate getting ran on, last year was embarrassing.
Reply/Quote
I wonder how far off he is from Mazi Smith who went in the first to the Cowboys last year.

I didn’t study Mazi too much or Jackson. But they look like comparable players.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 06:42 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wonder how far off he is from Mazi Smith who went in the first to the Cowboys last year.

Jackson is a few tiers below Mazi.  IMHO

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 01:08 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yeah, you realize those aren't the most updated rankings Draft Buzz is using, right?

No, I did not realize that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 05:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If there is one thing I like a Bengals Defense to be, it is good stopping the run. I hate getting ran on, last year was embarrassing.

Bring back the days of the WEBB!! Old timers will know what I am talking about!! Wink
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 04:35 PM)3wt Wrote: He reminds me a lot of Reader when he was drafted.  

My whole thing was that when you get rid of Reader you are asking to have to reach.   Bad decision right there.

But I think Jackson will surprise us.  He'll have his learning curve, but he has the raw traits and the intensity to be a good nose tackle.   

Combine him with Jenkins and Hill and we nave a nice defensive interior.   A good pick.  People are overly concerned with reaching.   The key is to get the players you want.

I really wanted sweat and was hoping his DUI would play into our hands, but it was not to be.  They did the right thing

I agree that with the addition of Jenkins and Jackson to go along with Hill and Rankins, the DT room should be much improved compared to what we were seeing after Reader went down again.

Like I said previously, is it really a reach when there has been a run on a position group to grab a guy that you had on your board, before he is also gone? If Jackson would have been the 1st NT taken, with Sweat, Smith and others still on the board, then I could see arguing the pick to be a bit of a reach.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He doesn’t even have to be great here

Just do exactly what you did for Texas A and M

Actually do LESS. We don’t need him to pass rush right now. Just stop the run and you have a roster spot. And you don’t even gotta do it well. Just do it better than the DT ahead of you….so Carter?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 06:42 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wonder how far off he is from Mazi Smith who went in the first to the Cowboys last year.

Zierlein graded Smith at 6.34(will eventually be a plus starter).  He had a 9.81 RAS based on the events he took part in.

Jackson graded at 5.96(average back up or special teamer) and had a 3.52 RAS.  Jackson also has character red flags with a suspension stemming from a felony drug arrest.

Jackson, as a prospect, can't even touch Smith.  
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 10:44 AM)Whatever Wrote: Zierlein graded Smith at 6.34(will eventually be a plus starter).  He had a 9.81 RAS based on the events he took part in.

Jackson graded at 5.96(average back up or special teamer) and had a 3.52 RAS.  Jackson also has character red flags with a suspension stemming from a felony drug arrest.

Who would you rather the Bengals have selected at NT at that point in the draft?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 06:48 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Jackson is a few tiers below Mazi.  IMHO

How many Pat Sims is that?

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 10:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who would you rather the Bengals have selected at NT at that point in the draft?

Why do you have to take a NT at that point in the draft?  A prospect is still the same prospect.  It doesn't matter if you take him in the 1st or the 7th.  They don't magically get better just because you drafted them earlier.  

If I absolutely had to take a NT at #97(for reasons I don't really get), I would've taken Jordan Jefferson, instead, who made it to our pick in the 4th.  After that, NT's sunk like stones.  Kyristian Boyd, who has a near identical grade to McKinnley, could have been  had with our first pick in the 6th.  Fabien Lovett went undrafted entirely.  Why spend a 3rd on Jackson when you can get a similar prospect at the same position three rounds later?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 10:44 AM)Whatever Wrote: Zierlein graded Smith at 6.34(will eventually be a plus starter).  He had a 9.81 RAS based on the events he took part in.

Needed a run stuffer NT, and there was no one else worth a pick that fits that need.  McKinnley would have been gone by our next pick.
Reply/Quote
I think Jackson is a solid pick at #97. I am with Nate on his potential. There is no way he would have lasted until 6/7. 5 super unlikely. 4th doubtful.

Now, I'd have preferred Sweat. No doubt. There were some on here saying he was gonna go 3/4/5. He went #39. He'd have been a bargain at #49.

Many folks think Jackson petformed better at the Senior Bowl than Sweat, IIRC.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 12:47 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think Jackson is a solid pick at #97. I am with Nate on his potential. There is no way he would have lasted until 6/7. 5 super unlikely. 4th doubtful.

Now, I'd have preferred Sweat. No doubt. There were some on here saying he was gonna go 3/4/5. He went #39. He'd have been a bargain at #49.

Sweat showed up overweight at the Senior Bowl, refused to weigh in, and looked terrible Day 1, but looked better from there on out.
Reply/Quote

There was a reason Mazi was selected in the 1st round and McKinnley was selected in the late 3rd. Mazi is much more of an athlete, 
honestly a lot more like Kris Jenkins the Wolverine we selected in the 2nd.

McKinnley Jackson is a Nose Tackle similar to DJ Reader and that is who I would compare him to. That might be unfair, but that is 
who I am going to compare him to, unfair or not, that is who we need replaced and that is why I wanted McKinnley. I see a lot of DJ
in him when watching the film. He is hard to move even with 2 defenders and he stays really low with good leverage against the run.

(04-30-2024, 06:48 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Jackson is a few tiers below Mazi.  IMHO

True, different players though.

(04-30-2024, 08:12 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Bring back the days of the WEBB!! Old timers will know what I am talking about!! Wink

Before my time. Lol

(05-01-2024, 11:45 AM)Whatever Wrote: Why do you have to take a NT at that point in the draft?  A prospect is still the same prospect.  It doesn't matter if you take him in the 1st or the 7th.  They don't magically get better just because you drafted them earlier.  

If I absolutely had to take a NT at #97(for reasons I don't really get), I would've taken Jordan Jefferson, instead, who made it to our pick in the 4th.  After that, NT's sunk like stones.  Kyristian Boyd, who has a near identical grade to McKinnley, could have been  had with our first pick in the 6th.  Fabien Lovett went undrafted entirely.  Why spend a 3rd on Jackson when you can get a similar prospect at the same position three rounds later?

True on taking a prospect earlier doesn't make them better. I understand wanting Jordan Jefferson, but that is preference and he has 
his questions just the same. I like McKinnley Jackson to replace DJ better than Jordan Jefferson, but that is my opinion, we will see who
is correct down the road and I will admit it if I was wrong on McKinnley.

McKinnley was better than Sweat at the Senior Bowl. I think the Titans reached on Sweat especially with his drunk driving ways.

McKinnley isn't an angel either though with his off the field problems, this is my biggest concern with both honestly. Glad Sweat is not
our problem.

Glad we took Kris Jenkins earlier who could gain weight and become a Nose Tackle with his run stopping ability. 2nd best run stopping 
DT in the Draft some said and has high character.

(05-01-2024, 12:47 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think Jackson is a solid pick at #97. I am with Nate on his potential. There is no way he would have lasted until 6/7. 5 super unlikely. 4th doubtful.

Completely agree Ike. We will see, I didn't want Sweat unless he fell to around the 4th or 5th with his stupidity on top of this fact.

Our coaches put a lot of stock in the Senior Bowl, Sweat was overweight, and the DWI was ridiculous.
Reply/Quote