Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome aboard Troy Walters new WR coach
Good hire. Has been the OC under Scott Frost at UCF and Nebraska. Former Stanford and NFL WR.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/10/bengals-add-troy-walters-to-staff/
Reply/Quote
I won't pretend to know everything that makes a good or bad hire. But can someone explain to me why they consider it to be a good hire? Because just looking at from a leyman's perspective it seems to be, at best, a let's wait and see situation.

-Scott Frost's start in Nebraska has been rough to say the least. He's been on almost every "hot seat" list for 2020.
-Frost is the only coach in Nebraska in decades to have a losing record (9-15) through 2 seasons.
-The offense Walters lead finished 7th in the Big Ten.
-Walters was let go from Nebraska.
-Walters will be taking an enormous pay cut from 700k salary in college. Why did he not take a similar job at another school?
-Walters has ZERO NFL coaching experience

None of this is to say he'll be a bad hire. Again, it just question why it's been deemee a "good hire". I'm just curious what I'm missing. From my perspective, we've got a coach coming off two terrible years who was let go, taking a big pay cut, with no pro coaching experience.

What am I missing that makes this a good hire?
Reply/Quote
Don't know much about him to be honest
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 01:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I won't pretend to know everything that makes a good or bad hire. But can someone explain to me why they consider it to be a good hire? Because just looking at from a leyman's perspective it seems to be, at best, a let's wait and see situation.

-Scott Frost's start in Nebraska has been rough to say the least. He's been on almost every "hot seat" list for 2020.
-Frost is the only coach in Nebraska in decades to have a losing record (9-15) through 2 seasons.
-Walters will be taking an enormous pay cut from 700k salary in college. Why did he not take a similar job at another school?

None of this is to say he'll be a bad hire. Again, it just question why it's been deemee a "good hire". I'm just curious what I'm missing. From my perspective, we've got a coach coming off two terrible years who was let go, taking a big pay cut, with no pro coaching experience.

I don’t put all the Nebraska struggles on the scapegoat that wasn’t even calling the plays. On the other hand, UCF had one of the best offenses in the country while he was there, but again it is Frost’s offense and he calls the plays. So, the problem might be Nebraska not attracting the same kind of athletes that Florida schools have.

Why I think he’ll make a good WR coach is because he was a WR that made himself into an All-American and Belitnikoff award winner through hard work and effort, while not being born with amazing physical ability. Teaching some of that to our WR’s is a good hire.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 01:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I won't pretend to know everything that makes a good or bad hire. But can someone explain to me why they consider it to be a good hire? Because just looking at from a leyman's perspective it seems to be, at best, a let's wait and see situation.

Because none of that matters for this hire. The only thing that matters about this hire is can he assist in coaching up the wide receivers....
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 03:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because none of that matters for this hire. The only thing that matters about this hire is can he assist in coaching up the wide receivers....

Exactly! He's the assistant, so basically he will be catching the ball from the Wr running back to his place in line... Nothing to get excited or upset about.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 01:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I won't pretend to know everything that makes a good or bad hire. But can someone explain to me why they consider it to be a good hire? Because just looking at from a leyman's perspective it seems to be, at best, a let's wait and see situation.

I think you're missing that it's only an assistant position coach hire.

He's someone that knows the NFL from his 8 years as a player and has a similar amount of college coaching experience - covering both WRs and as offensive co-ordinator.

He's someone who was offensive co-ordinator for the top scoring offense in the country in 2017.

Elsewhere his players seem productive under his tutelage:
His main WR at Nebreska broke all school receiving records (and is now on the Bengals)
His main WR at Colorado broke 43 Colorado and Pac-12 records
His main WR at NC State was the all-purpose leader in the ACC
His main WR at Texas A&M broke the school records for most season and career touchdowns and was second for receiving yards

He's also a former finalist for the Broyles Award for the best College Assistant Coach and someone rated his coaching enough to pay him $700,000 a year.

As a layman that seems a decent resume for an assistant position coach. I don't expect he'll stay an assistant WR coach for long.
Reply/Quote

I never really bought into the Scott Frost hype. He benefitted a lot from being able to recruit in Florida while at UCF but I wouldn't put all of the blame on him. Nebraska was a mess before he got there primarily because they lost their recruiting hotbeds (Texas, Missouri) when they made the jump to the Big 10. It will be a long time before another coach has success there.

I wouldn't put any blame on Troy Walters as well. He was the OC but at the end of the day, it's Frost's offense and he calls the plays. I'd look at the job Troy Walters did as the WR coach as he'll be the assistant at that position. Nebraska had some pretty good production there. JD Spielman, Wan'dale Robinson, Jordan Westerkamp, and our very own, Stanley Morgan, who broke records there. 

He's accomplished in his own right as he was a first-team All-American and is the all-time leading receiver in receptions and receiving yards at Stanford. He managed to carve out an 8-year career and has done well at other schools as a WRs coach as the poster above mentioned.

As someone that is critical of the Bengals in general, this isn't really something to gripe about. We add another coach with experience and a decent track record. Someone who could step in if Bicknell moves on next season.
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the misfits of coaches with no experience and no success.

Sounds like he'll fit right in.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I remember putting him in my lineup in Madden 1998 on PS2
And he dropped the ball on the 7 yd line.
I should have thrown to David Boston.
Reply/Quote

Because Wes, most bengals fans are just SHAMLESS! That's right.. WE use pillow cases instead of pillow shams and are damned proud of it. Other than that I got nothing here.. Mellow Some barbarians just use pillows without any fancy schmancy coverings and decorate them with left over dried drool. Shocked You know who you are by the way..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 04:33 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I think you're missing that it's only an assistant position coach hire.

He's someone that knows the NFL from his 8 years as a player and has a similar amount of college coaching experience - covering both WRs and as offensive co-ordinator.

He's someone who was offensive co-ordinator for the top scoring offense in the country in 2017.

Elsewhere his players seem productive under his tutelage:
His main WR at Nebreska broke all school receiving records (and is now on the Bengals)
His main WR at Colorado broke 43 Colorado and Pac-12 records
His main WR at NC State was the all-purpose leader in the ACC
His main WR at Texas A&M broke the school records for most season and career touchdowns and was second for receiving yards

He's also a former finalist for the Broyles Award for the best College Assistant Coach and someone rated his coaching enough to pay him $700,000 a year.

As a layman that seems a decent resume for an assistant position coach. I don't expect he'll stay an assistant WR coach for long.

Sounds like a GREAT hire honestly. Thanks for this man. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote