Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome to the Jungle Jordan Battle
(04-29-2023, 10:28 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Yeah totally, I want both a TE and RB still for sure. I was expecting to have one of them, maybe both off the board by now. I'm not arguing their picks because all of those defensive positions are a big deal. I was hoping for Laporta or Washington, but that aint gonna happen lol. This should be a very interesting draft day now though. I really dig that kid Mitchell as an explosive guy out of the backfield. I like the bruising RB from Texas too, Johnson. Fun draft day shaping up! 

TE and RB were on their radar. But I think they missed on Kincaid and La Porta. They missed on Gibbs and Robinson and likely Charbonett. Sometimes teams reach because of fear of losing a player they covet. Gibbs was a huge reach by Detroit. Robinson wasn’t going to be there at 28. Atlanta is going to make Robinson a star. They will use him like Derrick Henry ( Smith was at Tenn) . La Porta went pretty high and Charbonett. They weren’t going to take a TE or RB that was a reach. They aren’t desperate at those positions. Unfortunately it looks like their targets didn’t fit their draft position
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 12:34 AM)Synric Wrote: Yea I dont hate the prospect but I dont see the pathway to the field for him on his rookie contract unless its due to injury. 

I give this pick a D+

So far I would grade the rounds B+, A-, D+. Honestly the Bengals usually draft better than this but they are taking depth and picking really late.

My take is the Bengals lost two near All Pro safeties in one offseason. The two new guys need competition and Jordon Battle is hyper competitive. It’s a competitive pick that speaks to 2024.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 12:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Great pff coverage grade.

I saw today someone said he was PFFs highest graded S in coverage since 2020. 

I thought the offense badly needed more speed, more receiver depth, a real frontline TE1, an RB2, and increased IOL depth. None of that happened. I thought Jonah would stay put & we would not take an OT unless it was a stud  I got that right, at least. 

In D, we needed pass rush, inside & out (Murphy), and better CB & DT depth. Thought we'd punt at safety, though it was a bit thin. And we need a punter. 

Add it all up: 

1. Pass Rush Edge (Murphy) 
2. TE1/depth (nope) 
3. Better CB depth (Turner) 
4. RB2 (nope)  
5. Interior pass rush (maybe Murphy)  
6. WR speed/depth explosiveness (nope) 
7. DT depth (nope) 
8. IOL depth (nope)  
9. Safery depth (Battle)  
10. Punter (nope)  
11. QB2 (nope)

Astute observers will note that is 11 things & we started with 7 picks, now 8. Some things are going to go unfilled via the draft. We have SOME cap space, but Burrow, Tee, and maybe Wilson extension signing bonus prorations eat a big chunk. It looks like Jonah/Mixon/Collins are staying, so that cap number ($16 mil or so) remains steady. Cuts looks like the main avenue for improvement after today. 

We could bring back Allen again for QB2, and I like a vet better for QB2 than a rookie anyway. And an early pick made no sense. Tupou/Carter/Tufele are all under contract, so that need is not glaring. Punter was never gonna be adressed until late in the draft/UDFA. Once Bijan/Gibbs were gone, RB did not make much sense early on to me (at least Rd3). And I am fine with passing & signing Elliot if we have to. And WR is gonna be depth this year, so I kinda get being patient there.

Some names I like:

TE: Kuntz, Whyle .
CB: Trice, Bennett, Rush
RB: Abanikanda, Johnson, Brown, McBride, Mitchell
DT: Brooks
WR: Scott, C. Jones, Washington, Iosivas, Bryce-Wheaton, Landers
IOL: Wypler, Zavala, Daniels, McClendon, Gaines
P: Korsak, Baringer, Turk (6th/UDFA)
QB2: I prefer a vet
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 11:06 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I saw today someone said he was PFFs highest graded S in coverage since 2020. 

I thought the offense badly needed more speed, more receiver depth, a real frontline TE1, an RB2, and increased IOL depth. None of that happened. I thought Jonah would stay put & we would not take an OT unless it was a stud  I got that right, at least. 

In D, we needed pass rush, inside & out (Murphy), and better CB & DT depth. Thought we'd punt at safety, though it was a bit thin. And we need a punter. 

Add it all up: 

2. TE1/depth (nope) 
4. RB2 (nope)  
7. DT depth (nope) 
8. IOL depth (nope)  
9. Safery depth (Battle)  
10. Punter (nope)  
11. QB2 (nope)

Astute observers will note that is 11 things & we started with 7 picks, now 8. Some things are going to go unfilled via the draft. We have SOME cap space, but Burrow, Tee, and maybe Wilson extension signing bonus prorations eat a big chunk. It looks like Jonah/Mixon/Collins are staying, so that cap number ($16 mil or so) remains steady. Cuts looks like the main avenue for improvement after today. 

They are trying to move Jonah. I still think they do but they have one suitor is waiting on the draft to finish. It sucks for us for this years draft but it will help the cap. I think because of the draft and his high cap number it was tough to move him.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 12:30 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The value is there, but I don't see the need. They're taking BPA to its extreme.

(04-29-2023, 12:34 AM)Synric Wrote: Yea I dont hate the prospect but I dont see the pathway to the field for him on his rookie contract unless its due to injury. 

I give this pick a D+

So far I would grade the rounds B+, A-, D+. Honestly the Bengals usually draft better than this but they are taking depth and picking really late.

I see this as a Shawn Williams-type draft pick: we already had Iloka and Nelson, Williams was just depth and STs, then once the safeties left, he took over and started for multiple years.

Both SSs from the SEC, too.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:34 AM)PDub80 Wrote: They gave Safety Nick Scott, who is considered a strong player, a 3 year $12M deal. The Bengals didn't sign him to sit. Nick Scott is 27 and knows the league at this point. No way Battle comes into camp and is better by end of summer.

- I could see, however, the Bengals moving Dax Hill to more of a Hilton role with DJ Turner being Chido's replacement.

This has Nick Scott playing more FS and Battle taking the Von Bell role of hybrid/SS.

- But where does this have Tycen Anderson? The Bengals traded up for him in last year's draft.

The Bengals have a lot - TOO MUCH - draft capital wrapped up in the S position: Hill, Anderson, Battle

The Bengals have 2 vet S: Michael Thomas (looked to as strong ST value) & Nick Scott

Safety is not a critical position in the 2ndary. It's the least important. So, this idea that they need to keep loading up is really odd to me unless they are moving Dax Hill to nickel CB. I would prefer that, to be honest. He was a better nickel CB than S in college.

Chido is in the last year of his deal. Hilton has two. I can see the plan you describe playing out. 

The other thing is, flatly, we DID need some depth there. Thomas is a ST guy and Anderson is essentially a 5th rd rookie (from Toledo). I was not a huge fan of the deal, but tis true. 

If one buys the fact that Irv Smith is TE1, and Mixon & Jonah are staying, then EVERY pick is a depth pick. Except maybe punter. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 11:13 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They are trying to move Jonah. I still think they do but they have one suitor is waiting on the draft to finish. It sucks for us for this years draft but it will help the cap. I think because of the draft and his high cap number it was tough to move him.

I have no doubt you are telling the truth. But moving him no longer really helps us this year. If he walks we get a Comp 3rd. We cannot do better than that anymore in 2023 (though that could get offset by other signings). Of course, that pick won't come till 2025, so a 2024 pick would at least be sooner. 

More importantly, it weakens RT seriously. There are no draftc eplacements left. Clearly we want no part of D. Jones. I don't see a ton of use for $12.6 mil in cap space at this point either. 

I think he ends up staying & playing. 
Reply/Quote
I wonder if the Bengals thought the Steelers wouldn't draft a TE...when they traded down.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 11:06 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I saw today someone said he was PFFs highest graded S in coverage since 2020. 

Add it all up: 

2. TE1/depth (nope) 
4. RB2 (nope)  
7. DT depth (nope) 
8. IOL depth (nope)  
9. Safery depth (Battle)  
10. Punter (nope)  
11. QB2 (nope)

We could bring back Allen again for QB2, and I like a vet better for QB2 than a rookie anyway. And an early pick made no sense. Tupou/Carter/Tufele are all under contract, so that need is not glaring. Punter was never gonna be adressed until late in the draft/UDFA. Once Bijan/Gibbs were gone, RB did not make much sense early on to me (at least Rd3). And I am fine with passing & signing Elliot if we have to. And WR is gonna be depth this year, so I kinda get being patient there.

Some names I like:  

TE: Kuntz, Whyle .
CB: Trice, Bennett, Rush
RB: Abanikanda,  Johnson, Brown, McBride, Mitchell  
DT: Brooks  
WR: Scott, C. Jones, Washington, Iosivas, Bryce-Wheaton, Landers
IOL: Wypler, Zavala, Daniels, McClendon, Gaines  
P: Korsak, Baringer, Turk (6th/UDFA)
QB2: I prefer a vet

Will Mallory at TE too.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 11:39 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I have no doubt you are telling the truth. But moving him no longer really helps us this year. If he walks we get a Comp 3rd. We cannot do better than that anymore in 2023 (though that could get offset by other signings). Of course, that pick won't come till 2025, so a 2024 pick would at least be sooner. 

More importantly, it weakens RT seriously. There are no draftc eplacements left. Clearly we want no part of D. Jones. I don't see a ton of use for $12.6 mil in cap space at this point either. 

I think he ends up staying & playing. 

And that could be the updated plans. But a few days ago it wasn’t. Don’t know but the Bengals sometimes to a fault either by honoring contracts ( in the past) or trading Jonah to accommodate his request,value their reputation over the team needs. I’d sure feel better if he stayed. I so much think an OL that was top 12 would make this team unbeatable. No 20-0 I don’t mean lol.

Reply/Quote
My take is that the Bengals are drafting their board. Duke has said several times that when they get into trouble drafting it is because they were drafting for need vs BPA. He has also said the team will always find a way to utilize good players. They tend to make their choices quickly because they simply look at their draft board and see who is on the top.

They drafted Battle because he was at the top of their board

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 12:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if the Bengals thought the Steelers wouldn't draft a TE...when they traded down.

My guess is they were not sold on Washington.  He got passed over several times at his position.  He was the 8th TE taken and I think several of the TE's taken before him were projected lower than him.  From what I have read there are rumors of some health issues.   I don't know but the amount of times he got passed up I think there is something going on there.  Maybe for the best that the Bengals didn't go for him.  Time will tell.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
This all makes sense. Last year draft 2 CB's or DB's first 2 picks. This year draft one of best DE in draft for size and talent, then fastest player in the draft in Turner who some consider best cover corner in the draft due to speed and hip movement change of direction ability. Then this Star Safety out of tough SEC power Alabama.

So if any are saying where are the offense picks. Resigning Burrow, Chase, Higgins, maybe Boyd, maybe Mixon are your offense. To do this in salary cap, Bengals had to let Bell and Bates go free agent, but Bengals restocked at DB last year and this year early in drafts.

The Bengals are going to keep their Super Bowl Offense and still have their Super Bowl Defense. Plus all these D Players added in last 2 Drafts a Fast. Tony Dungy who built Tampa and Indy into Super Bowl Defenses always said Speed is what you need, must get Faster. Tony Dungy would approve of the Bengals D Picks last year and this year. The DE is big and fast. This Safety Battle is Fast and the CB in 2 is the fastest player in the Draft with Tyreek Hill speed, only a CB.

We Keep Burrow and our Offense and we Keep a Super Bowl Defense. What's not to like.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 10:28 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Yeah totally, I want both a TE and RB still for sure. I was expecting to have one of them, maybe both off the board by now. I'm not arguing their picks because all of those defensive positions are a big deal. I was hoping for Laporta or Washington, but that aint gonna happen lol. This should be a very interesting draft day now though. I really dig that kid Mitchell as an explosive guy out of the backfield. I like the bruising RB from Texas too, Johnson. Fun draft day shaping up! 

If we can get Roschon and Keaton while adding a TE like Whyle or Kunz I would be really happy. Yes sir Bengaloo, fun times.

Also, not adding a run stopping DT early makes me think we will extend DJ as well as Tee, sure hope so.
Reply/Quote
Would have preferred the Adebawore with the pick but Battle is a Bengal type of player. You need to be smart and versatile to play for Lou.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'm no draft guru but I watched the guy's highlight reel and was surprised that he was still around at the bottom of the third. Anarumo uses safeties like a swiss army knife. Having too many good ones is not a concern.

The Bengals aren't panicked about TE the way fans are. The problem on offense was Burrow not having time, not receivers not getting open. They feel like they've addressed that.

Being able to stop the quality QBs stacked up in the AFC is probably more important at this point than adding another TE.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 01:24 PM)pally Wrote:

Posted at 12:08 PM he must have been celebrating last night.  Can't say I'd blame him.   Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:34 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Safety is not a critical position in the 2ndary. It's the least important

I'm not so sure that the Bengals Defensive Coordinator agrees with that statement.  Seems to me that Safeties are the focal point of Anarumo's secondaries.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 02:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure that the Bengals Defensive Coordinator agrees with that statement.  Seems to me that Safeties are the focal point of Anarumo's secondaries.

I think S is a weakness since Bates & Bell left. But generally speaking CB > S in terms of importance.
Reply/Quote