Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome to the team, Jonah Williams!
(04-26-2019, 12:01 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: so if you think we overdrafted at tackle.. tell me how Steelers did not overdraft at LB???  normal years  Bush would not even be considered at 10

A lot of people's opinions on Bush instantly went up as soon as the Steelers took him, lol. One day it's "I don't really want the Bengals to take Bush", now it's "HOW COULD THE BENGALS LET THE STEELERS PASS THEM UP FOR BUSH".
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2019, 11:16 PM)samhain Wrote: Wasn't Cordy a guard at Georgia?  Perhaps he's a candidate to move inside.

He did play guard. While Clint Boling was at LT.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2019, 11:58 PM)yang Wrote: I hate to throw cold water on this but someone has to.   People are celebrating Price when I am still pissed about the pick last year and predicted he wouldn’t be better than what we had based on film and scouting reviews.  We panicked and took him when Ragnow was yanked out beneath us.  

And Williams does not have the size or athleticism to be all pro imho.  He might even end up at guard.  He is smaller and not athletic.  

And the Steelers jumped up in front of us because everyoje knows we won’t make the moves it takes.

If he doesn’t start and we passed stud players we ****** up.  If he ends up being Jake Fischer we screwed up.

But hey, we get a good QB with our high pick next year!

Williams is actually a very athletic T and has some room to bulk up.  Plus, you're bashing Williams for being undersized, but seem to be advocating for trading up for an undersized LB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I like this quote from him...

“The shortest path to somebody is directly to them, you know, directly to their center of mass,” Williams told Pro Football Focus’ Austin Gayle. “So, for me, if we’re talking an inch or 5/8 of an inch or whatever we’re talking about with arm length, you can easily overcome that just by shooting your hands inside.

“Obviously, it is advantageous to have longer arms. I understand that. But I think you can overcome a lot of that.”

Reply/Quote
Love this pick. He's the anti-pillow hands (Ogbuehi). Technically sound, nasty, with plenty of college success (gave up 0 sacks last year).

Watching his interviews, he just seems like the type of guy who will have success.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure that Cordy's knees can bend that well, anymore..

Yeah, I wondered about that, too.  

I think my best case scenario is that we see a line of Williams-Boling-Price-Miller-Glenn to start the season.  If Price grows a bit more into the role, that could be a pretty competent group to run behind.

Who the hell knows.  What do you do if Ford, McCoy or god forbid Taylor is sitting there at 11 in round 2?  Maybe we get a 2015 redux with better OTs?  Maybe we get a guard to go with the young OT and center.  I know linebacker is in major need or help, but if the caliber of player is Ford vs Wilson or Joseph, I'm probably taking Ford.  Set up the o-line for the next 5 years at least.  
Reply/Quote
I'm really glad that they took Williams at 11. With his mental makeup and work ethic, I think that we'll all be looking back someday and wondering how the hell he made it to 11. I wasn't high on Bush and probably overrated some of the other OT prospects who have holes in their game.
Reply/Quote
If we got Cody Ford tomorrow that would be a HUGE coup. Picture a line of Williams-Boling-Price-Ford-Glenn. Once they got used to working as a unit that would be a true power OL.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:08 AM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, I wondered about that, too.  

I think my best case scenario is that we see a line of Williams-Boling-Price-Miller-Glenn to start the season.  If Price grows a bit more into the role, that could be a pretty competent group to run behind.

Who the hell knows.  What do you do if Ford, McCoy or god forbid Taylor is sitting there at 11 in round 2?  Maybe we get a 2015 redux with better OTs?  Maybe we get a guard to go with the young OT and center.  I know linebacker is in major need or help, but if the caliber of player is Ford vs Wilson or Joseph, I'm probably taking Ford.  Set up the o-line for the next 5 years at least.  

Drafting another offensive lineman wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I think it's more of a "we're building for a year or two from now" kind of move than a "we think we can win now" move.

I do kind of wonder if the Bengals 1st round strategy would have been any different had they known all these OTs would still be sitting there in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
I like the pick. We needed ol help. Frees up the rest of the draft. Still good ol and dbs out there.

Taylor, ford, risner, McCoy and McGovern

Greedy and Byron, Payne and love at CB
Reply/Quote
Love the pick and and I’m sure Mixon/Dalton are thrilled.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:14 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Drafting another offensive lineman wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I think it's more of a "we're building for a year or two from now" kind of move than a "we think we can win now" move.

I do kind of wonder if the Bengals 1st round strategy would have been any different had they known all these OTs would still be sitting there in the 2nd.

I doubt it. We had every option to pick from at OL and took the one we wanted. With a top QB, DTs, and DEs on the board.

With the pieces we have on offense this is a statement that they believe we can win now. 
Reply/Quote
The classic rule is you win in the trenches. However we now live in the world where DL is devalued a bit because you risk a penalty if you hit the QB wrong. Really we live in an offensive age and having a great offensive line will take you far. Add in a great RB and you create a virtuous circle that makes everyone else better and keeps your defense off the field so they are rested/fresh and have fewer injuries late in the season. I love this pick and am so happy we're going to have a respectable offensive line again. There are a lot of tough games this year that we will have a real chance of winning with this group.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:37 AM)pally Wrote:

I love hearing that he got the call early on. We had our boards and our plan and nothing the Steelers did bothered us at all. 

Everything I hear from him and about him is terrific. A true student of the game who puts in extra time in preparation. I really am excited!  Who Dey

Reply/Quote
Well, after sitting two years under the tutelage of Hart he should be ready to start in preseason games.. ~Marvin Lewis

Anyone who believes Williams won't start right away had probably be prepared for a delicious crow dinner featuring a lot of black feathers and dried beaks.  
But, but, but...Paul Alexander talked to him! OMG OMG OMG! He's ruined already! Get out the "we hate Alexander" pitchforks! 
For all the crap PA has gotten here and elsewhere I'm not of the opinion he's completely worthless consulting with NFL linemen. I really don't believe he's got any kind of reverse midas touch.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:14 AM)Joelist Wrote: If we got Cody Ford tomorrow that would be a HUGE coup. Picture a line of Williams-Boling-Price-Ford-Glenn. Once they got used to working as a unit that would be a true power OL.

You think they would move Glenn to RT and put Williams on LT? If we get Ford too I really think this offense will be one of the best in the league. I don't even care. My dream would probably be....

Rnd 2 - Ford
Rnd 3 - Mack Wilson or Germaine Pratt or Tre Lamar (ranked in that order IMO)

I would be instantly super excited about the season if that happened.
Reply/Quote
That was the right pick.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Possible offensive line shifts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 08:27 AM)Synric Wrote:
Possible offensive line shifts.

I think a line of Williams, Boling, Price, Miller, Glenn is a nice upgrade from last year. 
Reply/Quote