Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome to the team, Jonah Williams!
(04-26-2019, 08:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think a line of Williams, Boling, Price, Miller, Glenn is a nice upgrade from last year. 

Oh yes — and that’s purely from a personnel standpoint. Let’s talk scheme. Getting the best five linemen on the field allows a variety of blocking types, run or pass, to be used throughout a game. I have no idea what the new Bengals’ blocking will look like but I expect at least a small amount of Ram infusion! If that’s the case those guys will have to gel as an ensemble quickly because what I saw the Los Angeles offensive line do in 2018 was rather difficult. I can’t imagine how such a difficult scheme could be coached but somehow the players excelled at it.

In fact, the 2018 Rams’ offensive line reminded me of something I’ve seen before albeit only on YouTube because I’m not that old: The old Cleveland offensive line under Paul Brown.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 08:46 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Oh yes — and that’s purely from a personnel standpoint.  Let’s talk scheme.  Getting the best five linemen on the field allows a variety of blocking types, run or pass, to be used throughout a game.  I have no idea what the new Bengals’ blocking will look like but I expect at least a small amount of Ram infusion!  If that’s the case those guys will have to gel as an ensemble quickly because what I saw the Los Angeles offensive line do in 2018 was rather difficult.  I can’t imagine how such a difficult scheme could be coached but somehow the players excelled at it.  

In fact, the 2018 Rams’ offensive line reminded me of something I’ve seen before albeit only on YouTube because I’m not that old:  The old Cleveland offensive line under Paul Brown.

I'm guessing it will be an outside zone scheme in terms of running that will set up play action similar to what the Rams run. That let's Mixon work in a one cut system while Dalton get the benefit of everything looking similar off PA sucking defenders down. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 08:48 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'm guessing it will be an outside zone scheme in terms of running that will set up play action similar to what the Rams run. That let's Mixon work in a one cut system while Dalton get the benefit of everything looking similar off PA sucking defenders down. 

Andy Dalton had to love last night’s first pick. He’s going to be able to play with more time to throw and I’m glad you mentioned Joe Mixon too because I want to see what a beast he is with proper blocking in front of him.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:37 AM)pally Wrote:

You have to love this clip! Great attitude and he oozes the kind of humble charm you can't help but like.

I think if you look back at who was taken before and after it was absolutely the right pick. Top OL prospect for many people, coming from the most dominant college programme of the last decade. 

People are referring to Glenn on these boards as if he is like 40 or something, he only turns 30 in September! Williams' flexibility means we can truly find the best spot for him and the line as a whole. Fully expect Glenn to start at LT and Williams to fit in likely at RT. 

The real question is, can we pass up Jawaan Taylor if he is still there in the second? 

Reply/Quote
I took the  opportunity this morning to go back and watch film on Williams. He is a good pass protector but goodness he is a nasty run blocker. If you watch the Bama offense you will find that on a large part of their big runs they went right behind Williams. He is also very good at second level blocking finds targets easily and eliminates them from the play.

In pass protection I noticed he is also very good when having to switch his blocking target and picks up the next defender rather seamlessly. I really hope they insert this kid at RT on day 1.
Reply/Quote
Jonah was my #1 offensive lineman on my big board. I made the case that his versatility, work ethic, and character made him a standout player for the Bengals. Keep in mind he has 3 years of starting experience and he's only 21 years old

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams was a top 5 player for me in this draft. I’m so glad people started nitpicking every little thing about him to get him to fall to 11. Dude has been dominant at both OT positions in college and is practically the same size as David Bahktiari, who was named All Pro LT this past year.

Those who are mad about this pick just hate the fact it wasn’t a flashy pick. The reality is this sets up the entire offense (and potential future QB within the next few years) for years to come. Safest and smartest pick the Bengals could have made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:01 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: You have to love this clip! Great attitude and he oozes the kind of humble charm you can't help but like.

I think if you look back at who was taken before and after it was absolutely the right pick. Top OL prospect for many people, coming from the most dominant college programme of the last decade. 

People are referring to Glenn on these boards as if he is like 40 or something, he only turns 30 in September! Williams' flexibility means we can truly find the best spot for him and the line as a whole. Fully expect Glenn to start at LT and Williams to fit in likely at RT. 

The real question is, can we pass up Jawaan Taylor if he is still there in the second? 

sure we can pass up Jawaan Taylor.  He's not a great prospect.  Risner and Ford are much better.  If you want to talk about high character studs just go watch interviews with Dalton Risner.

Reply/Quote
Many people are cracking me up here. I feel rather safe stating that Glenn will be playing LT unless he is injured. People are acting like he is not a good LT and that just is not accurate at all.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:19 AM)Okeana Wrote: sure we can pass up Jawaan Taylor.  He's not a great prospect.  Risner and Ford are much better.  If you want to talk about high character studs just go watch interviews with Dalton Risner.

Taylor actually is a very good prospect. He needs to clean up some technique issues but that is what coaching is for. You may want to watch some film on him. Even when he is caught using poor technique he stonewalls defenders. He has the makings of Willie Anderson dominance with way more athleticism.

I do like Ford as a prospect as well.

Risner I like as a RT only prospect but even that could have some questions with the make up of the league these days. Risner has really heavy feet and has had some issues against true speed rushing his side. He if nothing else is very consistent.
Reply/Quote
Very pleased with this pick!

As should Andy and Joe...

Tired of seeing us get punked on the fronts
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:19 AM)Okeana Wrote: sure we can pass up Jawaan Taylor.  He's not a great prospect.  Risner and Ford are much better.  If you want to talk about high character studs just go watch interviews with Dalton Risner.

I'm a big fan of his run blocking and upside. Would be a monster at RT. That said, agree with you regarding Risner and Ford, I would, to be honest, be happy with any of the three. I can never be mad using high picks for the OL.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:19 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Many people are cracking me up here. I feel rather safe stating that Glenn will be playing LT unless he is injured. People are acting like he is not a good LT and that just is not accurate at all.

I think Glenn's skill set is better for RT.  Regardless stuff like this is just getting petty and besides the point with Glenn only having 1 year left on his contract.  Don't be surprised when they go offensive line again in round 2.  

Im just super surprised that people would even consider this a mediocre pick considering how bad the offensive line has been for the last two years.  People are actually trying to convince themselves that the Steelers got the better of us last night by giving up a 2nd round and 3rd round pick to move up.  As much as I liked bush he's not worth Jonah Williams + whoever we get in the 2nd this year.  Some of the best players in this draft are gonna be in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:24 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Risner I like as a RT only prospect but even that could have some questions with the make up of the league these days. Risner has really heavy feet and has had some issues against true speed rushing his side. He if nothing else is very consistent.

He stonewalled Sweat pretty well in their meeting this season. He is probably more a RT, but I think he can be a damn good one in the league. 

As for Taylor, the concerns about him ballooning up and becoming too large and slow to play outside was a legit concern I had heard from one of my guys.
Reply/Quote
He's definitely a good pick. I expressed concern last night in the draft thread about Alabama lineman, but this one has a very high floor. Safe, plug & play day one contributor who may make a Pro Bowl or two before it's all said & done.

Now, if we can get our hands on Jawaan Taylor in round 2, I will be...firm.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
This is also a great year to get a #2 receiver or cornerback in the 2nd. I really just hope they don't draft Mack Wilson because there is much better talent available.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:30 AM)Okeana Wrote: This is also a great year to get a #2 receiver or cornerback in the 2nd.  I really just hope they don't draft Mack Wilson because there is much better talent available.

We disagree on Wilson, but I 100% agree with you on the value of corner and receiver. I think some of that receiver talent is about to leak in the 3rd because there is still a lot of O line value on the board.

If we come away with any of these corners (Greedy Williams, Rock Ya-Sin, Byron Murphy, Justin Layne, Julian Love) or WRs (AJ Brown, Myles Boykin, Hakeem Butler, DK Metcalf, Paris Campbell, Deebo Samuel) tonight I would be pumped. They all have varying degrees of upside however they all will be a great value tonight. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:30 AM)Okeana Wrote: This is also a great year to get a #2 receiver or cornerback in the 2nd.  I really just hope they don't draft Mack Wilson because there is much better talent available.

I love Boyd in the slot, so for me technically he is not our #2 skill set wise. I love Boyd and think he is a stud. But, hope we can draft a WR who can be outside, with Green other side and Boyd (and Ross in 4 receiver sets) inside. Our issue to replace an injured Green is glaring, so if we could get a second true big and fast outside guy, then we become dangerous and hard to defend.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:27 AM)Okeana Wrote: I think Glenn's skill set is better for RT.  Regardless stuff like this is just getting petty and besides the point with Glenn only having 1 year left on his contract.  Don't be surprised when they go offensive line again in round 2.  

Im just super surprised that people would even consider this a mediocre pick considering how bad the offensive line has been for the last two years.  People are actually trying to convince themselves that the Steelers got the better of us last night by giving up a 2nd round and 3rd round pick to move up.  As much as I liked bush he's not worth Jonah Williams + whoever we get in the 2nd this year.  Some of the best players in this draft are gonna be in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year.

You've convinced me. Nice post and really good stuff. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
This worked out GREAT with Jonah Williams being there. Thank you Raiders for taking Farrell for allowing this to happen! The Giants taking Jones helped too.

Getting our pick of OT was pretty ideal.

Much of my criticism of free agency centered around signing Hart and not a LB instead of just drafting an OT in the 1st. I'm REALLY GLAD that Hart likely won't be the starter.
Reply/Quote