Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Well First Ya Fix This
(02-07-2023, 11:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: thats mighty optimistic of you. The bengals couldnt move the ball at all consistently. They were bailed out by Burrow making miraculous plays multiple times.

Kc's offense was moving the ball much more effectively. The bengals defense just locked it down once kc got to the redzone

How’d we do the last time in OT vs them?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 01:01 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: How’d we do the last time in OT vs them?

You mean last time when 3 starting offensive linemen weren’t injured and hampering the entire offense? Pretty good

What a pathetic question by you
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 08:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You can’t plan on losing three guys. Two right next to each other.

Pretty much this.  I know we have a "fooled me once" bitterness after being undone by the OL once again but they built properly. We all want to add a star OL but they'll be signing their own and this isn't the best year for a FA.  Maybe they get a T in trade, but more likely you just take the BPa at  LT or RT in the first 4 rounds.  

Short term, it's more likely they go with Williams and Carman go at either tackle spot and bring Collins along slowly and have the rookie for depth. 
Reply/Quote
I've heard rumors that Collins may be contemplating retirement. Any truth to that? He's still under 30, and ACL tears are not the career-enders they once were thanks to advancements in medicine. I don't see it but I have heard some credible and connected people on Twitter say it may be a possibility.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
We'll see what direction the team goes in once they know the longer term prognosis for Collins and Williams. I suspect they are going to take a Tackle early in the draft again and possibly let Collins go. Williams they have to keep as the cap hit is too big so he'll play out his contract. But with his knees affecting his ability to anchor who knows?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 08:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You can’t plan on losing three guys. Two right next to each other.

The Bengals had one of if not THE healthiest OL in the NFL in the regular season. They missed a combined grand total of 1 start. It was still a terrible run game and iffy pass blocking that necessitated a very quick short passing game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 01:05 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: You mean last time when 3 starting offensive linemen weren’t injured and hampering the entire offense? Pretty good

What a pathetic question by you

Sorry that triggered you. You asked why I was so optimistic we’d win in OT? I responded we beat them the last time in OT. We’d beat them in 3 close games straight. Sorry I feel that we have great confidence in close games with KC. Minus 3 OL our stats were nearly as good as KC. We sacked them 3 times they us 5. Total offense was close. Third down efficiency about the same. We out rushed them. KC had several starters in their secondary out of the game. Geez I think Joe takes advantage of that in OT.

Surprised that triggered you so much.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 03:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals had one of if not THE healthiest OL in the NFL in the regular season. They missed a combined grand total of 1 start. It was still a terrible run game and iffy pass blocking that necessitated a very quick short passing game.

The rush 3 drop 8 that a lot of teams ran against explosive offenses including Mahomes was very common this year. Initially Burrow was reluctant to attack it properly. The staff after the two losses got him engaged. Burrow admitted he was slow to adapt. You saw the deep shots against KC. Most of those were audibles. Burrow loves the matchups of one on one with Chase and Tee. Joe had been encouraged to go to Trent Irvin more and Hurst. He’s still evolving.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 12:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What's the deal with La'el Collins? He was Pro Bowl level in Dallas. Yet graded poorly for us. With his old line coach. I'm willing to give him another year, and he's going to be here either way.

The good news is that the line pass blocked well after the first few weeks.

LC was so disappointing,  I was his biggest fan.  i suppose there was good reason for us extremely cheap contract.  I dont see the guy being ready until Thanksgiving at the earliest.

Reply/Quote
This looks as good a place as any to leave this. (I just hope I remember to go back later and listen to the podcast)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/podcast-the-bengals-at-offensive-tackle/ar-AA17fex0?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8262faae9b6d4b4b948a7fc78cec6566

Quote:In this series of podcasts, I will take a position-by-position look at the state of the Cincinnati Bengals heading into the offseason.

Podcast: The Bengals at offensive tackle

After an impressive streak of health, the Bengals’ offensive line was stricken with a wave of injuries in the final weeks of the 2022 NFL season. At the tackle position, mainstay Jonah Williams and celebrated addition La’el Collins were replaced in the closing weeks by Hakeem Adeniji and Jackson Carman of all people.

The Bengals managed to get out of Baltimore and Buffalo with wins, despite key injuries and the loss of Alex Cappa at guard, but the Kansas City Chiefs’ defensive front proved too much for them. Adeniji and Carman have had somewhat mixed reviews. Both had an uphill battle to win over Bengals fans after disappointing performances in 2021.

In this podcast, I will take a good hard look at the tackle position. What is the reality of Williams’ contract situation and ability to perform in 2023?

Will Collins return for the 2023 campaign?

After demonizing him for a year, are fans overcorrecting their evaluation of Carman?

All of this and more on this episode of Coach Speak.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 08:16 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I understand that guys get hurt in this process. Now why would we be paying a guy 30-50 million a season and not TOTALLY evaluating his protection. Now mind you when healthy this line produced but.... Who backed the starters after that SB experience that Sooo Many
Our Starters

Williams/  Volson/ Karras /Cappa/Collins

Our Backups/ Starters

Carman/ I dunno / Who Hill/ Texans Guy/ Adeniji

How do we fix this!!!!! Damn It How
- Shouldve called Quinton Spain bk* 380lbs now
- Why did we draft Jackson Carman... *Well he proved it in the Buffalo game.
- Adeniji well he proved it in the Buffalo game. So what
- Volson well hes just a rookie and has played well..Which he has!!!
What about Mr. Glass Eater not making adjustments!ok The coach.
This isn't the draft class if you don't pick properly.

How many times did Joe get sacked in the last three years as a Bengal? Can this team sustain that?

I love Joe & this team but you can't give him 40+ unprotected..... What did we pay last offseason...
This draft is soooo important!

Scharping was the backup OG for both spots.
But he's an impending FA, so he might not re-sign.
I can't imagine he would unless he didn't get a better opportunity elsewhere.

Adeniji is now through his 3rd season and continues to show the same problems as always.
I have no confidence he'll ever not get pushed back on skates.
Bengals NEED a better RT (at least for backup, if not better, more durable starter).

We should be worried about D'Ante Smith at this point.
He just finished his 2nd year, and he now sits last on the depth chart.
Hard to have any reasoning he should get a roster spot moving forward.

Even if the Bengals don't address any starting OL spots, they need to add a couple OL for depth purposes.
This is the 2nd year in a row the Bengals have had poor OL performance from replacement players on the right side of the OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Realistic way to fix it:

Get a stud RT.

Like it or not, the following guys are going to be starting next year: Jonah-Volson-Karras-Cappa.
Reply/Quote