Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Well Regulated Militia"
(08-09-2019, 11:19 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't really get the vitriol directed at the NRA.  They are basically self funded and don't really spend that much money lobbying or on campaign contributions.  There are numerous anti-gun groups funded directly by billionaires.  Why are they ok and the NRA is the Antichrist? 

I would have responded that way no matter which lobbying group it was if a politician matter-of-fact-ly said they were going to be given that much involvement in policy creation when the majority of Americans disagree with be aims of that group.

The NRA is the most visible gun rights advocacy group and often has poor messaging in the wake of tragedies, opening themselves up to criticism
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-09-2019, 11:19 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't really get the vitriol directed at the NRA.  They are basically self funded and don't really spend that much money lobbying or on campaign contributions.  There are numerous anti-gun groups funded directly by billionaires.  Why are they ok and the NRA is the Antichrist? 

The dislike towards the NRA is well founded, to be quite honest. Taking away the recent revelations over the management of the organization, it has for some time been out to benefit firearms manufacturers than the average gun owner. Then there is the movement away from being a gun rights group and more into the realm of just a conservative political PAC where they have gone on to focus on social and economic issues outside the realm of firearms.

In addition to all that, as a sportsman I have numerous problems with them and their support for individuals that are threats to our public lands in this country. They claim to be for the sportsmen, but supporting those that are in favor of selling off public lands and that are against conservation policies is anti-sportsman.

So that's why they get my vitriol.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR