Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well... Schitt.
(11-19-2018, 01:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's another thing that is intriguing about this.  I can find the nearest auto body garage and I'd bet my left nut the guy running it is a fan of Trump. I can walk in there and say I want a job here, I never worked on a car, I know nothing about cars, and I think it's awesome that I don't care to learn about cars.

Should consider Uber. But sure, I get what you mean. You can bet your Michael Moore on it. Yes, I did accidentally swallow a clown this morning.

Making liberals heads explode. In this simple world, it often might just be that simple. How much more is really to it. I agree, some probably just enjoy sticking it to those libtards, no matter how.
How actual ideological conservatives can possibly find a way to not detest Trumpism and that whole Schittshow... well, that I don't know. Judges, probably.

(11-19-2018, 02:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have a clown for a President, and if we criticize him we are accused of having a mental illness.

That's maybe because whatever comes, some will always dislike you more than they could ever dislike Trump with that ( R ). As bizarre as that sounds.

Btw. you can criticize him, just not call things a disgrace that merely are a shame. Say shame, sure, maybe it's a bit of a shame sometimes, just like sometimes with Obama and Clinton and anyone really. But disgrace, no. Saying that is deranged and makes folks like you the bigger issue
- is of course not my opinion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-19-2018, 02:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know absolutely no one here ever looks at FoxNews, but they don't even mention the misspelling.  They just completely ignore it.  At least on their website.

We have a clown for a President, and if we criticize him we are accused of having a mental illness.

Trump supporters don't. I do, though.
(11-19-2018, 03:36 PM)hollodero Wrote: Making liberals heads explode. In this simple world, it often might just be that simple. How much more is really to it. I agree, some probably just enjoy sticking it to those libtards, no matter how.
How actual ideological conservatives can possibly find a way to not detest Trumpism and that whole Schittshow... well, that I don't know. Judges, probably.

Many "ideological" conservatives emphatically and publicly DO NOT like Trump.  Hence the Never Trump movement and the prominent social critics of unimpeachable conservative credentials such as George Will and Bill Kristol, not to mention Republican stalwarts like Michael Steele, Steve Schmidt and Mr Kellyanne Conway. Once Trump drew big poll numbers during the primary, all of these people recognized that even Trump just winning the primary would damage the party over the long term. Since Trump assumed office, you can throw in a basket of Republican generals and ex-CIA and FBI directors who normally remain silent about a sitting president. The conservative foreign policy establishment is in fits because they understand how his behavior impedes diplomacy degrades the U.S.' massive international soft power accrued under previous presidents.

Some, like Romney, cooperate in policy matters, but hold degrees of silence about Trump's constant missteps and embarrassments to maintain party unity. That may be putting party before the nation, but it is not a personal endorsement of Trump. Others INSIDE THE WHITE HOUSE do their best to control the damage--though less effectively week by week. (As one pundit recently put it: In the Trump administration there are "arsonists" and "fire fighters," and the fire fighters are being weeded out.)

I do see Trump ramping up the conflict between principle and party that his presidency represents for conservatives/Republicans. It is possible that the dam will eventually break a majority of Repulicans will be on the anti-Trump bandwagon. 

All this begs a definition of "conservatism." Principled conservatives can usually provide something consistent with tradition, their principles, and current political goals.  Many Trump supporters seem either unable to do this (beyond the frisson they feel at liberal heads exploding), or, if they explicitly identify as conservatives, busy themselves working up elaborate rationalization-- "I value Trump's policies but detest his 'tone.'" Whataboutery no longer works well, so they eschew it. (No WhattaboutObama/Hillary can manage "horseface" "Schitt" and "bleeding from her wherever"--not to mention a public statement, as leader of the nation, that we are going to overlook a murder to continue doing business.)
(11-20-2018, 05:56 PM)Dill Wrote: Many "ideological" conservatives emphatically and publicly DO NOT like Trump.  

Yeah I get that. Those are the conservatives that to me stick to their values.
In general, I'd like to clearly distinguish the "head exploding" type from the conservative type. Those two groups have or should have little to nothing in common, except sharing the same political home, maybe understandably since there are only two such homes available. How much common ground can obviously be found these times beyond that, to me, is astonishing.

On schitty matters at hand, the silence is deafening. I thought being conservative - leaving 1.000 other Trumpy things out - means believing in common decency as an important value. In that sense alone, I always thought being conservative, in these Trumpian times, would have to mean voting democrat now to get that classless act and the GOP sycophants [I don't know about Romney, but the rest of them pretty much is just that] out of power. I guess many of those never Trumpers you mentioned (I don't know all of them) do just that (voting democrat I mean).

Then again - judges. That is the most common point I have seen being made. Trump gives us conservative judges, so all is good and it's good measure to call Trump critics deranged (that one hurt). And for judges, folks just take some Schitt.