Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well.....Well....Well...
(06-27-2018, 04:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote: At no point should we even care about which side does it more, let alone actually try to find out who does it more. What we SHOULD be doing is putting an end to bad behavior, not figuring out which side is worse.

The very fact that people try to figure out which side is worse is a huge part of the problem, IMO.

An interesting difference of opinion then. However, I was not suggesting we simply figure out "which side is worse."  I was suggesting we figure out if the bad behavior has causes, and whether it may be legitimized in party culture.That would be a step towards "putting an end" to it. If you understood me, but disagree, then you are saying we should not be looking at institutions/parties/party leaders to see if they could be part of the problem. We should not be looking for trends like increasing frequency to understand what might be their cause.

In your view, how should we end bad behavior?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-27-2018, 04:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: My thing is: so what if he bakes a cake for a gay couple to be used in a gay marriage? Does he think God's going to actually punish him for showing love and kindness to "sinners"?

My thing is Christians serve people in prison who kill, rape, and molest kids. They serve people in shelters on drugs who have stole, sold their bodies etc. They even serve unwed moms, adulterers, divorcees etc... Why are they only picking on one sin and not the others? Who says one is worse? I haven't read all of the Bible, but did God rank them? Is it ok to bake cakes for everyone but gays? Because that bakery does.

That's why you have to roll your eyes at some "Christians" picking and choosing what sins are ok to serve and which ones aren't. At least if they do that can they refuse to serve child molesters and rapist?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(06-27-2018, 04:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Does it matter if they incite violence? They are a religion.

Yes it matters.

What if someone claimed their religion said it was okay to rape children?

Religious beliefs are only protected when they do not conflict with the law.
(06-27-2018, 05:02 PM)Dill Wrote: An interesting difference of opinion then. However, I was not suggesting we simply figure out "which side is worse."  I was suggesting we figure out if the bad behavior has causes, and whether it may be legitimized in party culture.That would be a step towards "putting an end" to it. If you understood me, but disagree, then you are saying we should not be looking at institutions/parties/party leaders to see if they could be part of the problem. We should not be looking for trends like increasing frequency to understand what might be their cause.

In your view, how should we end bad behavior?

For politicians, it's pretty easy: get rid of them. Well, easy to SAY, I know. But, you want to get rid of bad bahavior? You de-incentivize it. Allow the negative consequences of the bad behavior to occur. IMO, trying to prove the "other side" is worse just a justification of bad behavior.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-27-2018, 05:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: My thing is Christians serve people in prison who kill, rape, and molest kids. They serve people in shelters on drugs who have stole, sold their bodies etc. They even serve unwed moms, adulterers, divorcees etc... Why are they only picking on one sin and not the others? 

Good question. For certain programs, it's impossible to work on one sin, but in terms of refusing to serve people of certain sins, IMO, there's no good, Godly reason to refuse service of one sinner and serve another. 

Unfortunately, many Christians are allowing themselves to be led by bad shepherds so they will say and do what their LEADER wants not what God wants.

(06-27-2018, 05:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: Who says one is worse? I haven't read all of the Bible, but did God rank them? 

I blame Catholicism. They were the ones that have some sins being worse than others. In the Bible, there's one sin that's worse than all others and that's the unpardonable sin or the blaspheming of God. Every other sin is considered a sin and all sins are considered bad. It might seem to us that one is worse than the other (like murder seems worse than lying), but to God, sin has no place in His presence and they ALL must be washed away.

(06-27-2018, 05:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: Is it ok to bake cakes for everyone but gays? Because that bakery does.

IMO, the only thing that should be called into question is the message put on a cake. If a gay person wants a wedding cake, then they should be served. If a Westboro Baptist moron wants a cake that says "Thank God for the Shooter" they should be shown the door.

(06-27-2018, 05:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: That's why you have to roll your eyes at some "Christians" picking and choosing what sins are ok to serve and which ones aren't. At least if they do that can they refuse to serve child molesters and rapist?

That's the argument that I see many Christians failing to adequately address and makes me wish they would just shut up and show God's love to EVERYONE.
(06-27-2018, 05:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What if someone claimed their religion said it was okay to rape children?

So then it's okay to not serve Muslims?
(06-27-2018, 05:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: My thing is Christians serve people in prison who kill, rape, and molest kids. They serve people in shelters on drugs who have stole, sold their bodies etc. They even serve unwed moms, adulterers, divorcees etc... Why are they only picking on one sin and not the others? Who says one is worse? I haven't read all of the Bible, but did God rank them? Is it ok to bake cakes for everyone but gays? Because that bakery does.

That's why you have to roll your eyes at some "Christians" picking and choosing what sins are ok to serve and which ones aren't. At least if they do that can they refuse to serve child molesters and rapist?

With the baker he would say he is participating in the sin. He would serve them anything else. Frankly it’s being afraid to step outside what you were taught and question the the way God is being presented. All powerful and highly irrational.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-27-2018, 05:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: So then it's okay to not serve Muslims?

Muslims do not support support rape of children any more than Christians support killing firstborn children to get what they want.

Trump has changed you Phil.  You didn't use to be like this.
(06-27-2018, 03:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What if sexual orientation is a protected class under a state law?

Then we must appreciate the laws of that state; as long as it doesn't conflict with federal law such as religious freedoms.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-27-2018, 05:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: My thing is Christians serve people in prison who kill, rape, and molest kids. They serve people in shelters on drugs who have stole, sold their bodies etc. They even serve unwed moms, adulterers, divorcees etc... Why are they only picking on one sin and not the others? Who says one is worse? I haven't read all of the Bible, but did God rank them? Is it ok to bake cakes for everyone but gays? Because that bakery does.

There's a difference between serving a murder than there is baking him a cake with a knife in. Think about that for a few if see if you understand the correlation.

As to ranking sins: He did come up his a top 10 and made one unpardonable.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-27-2018, 05:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's a difference between serving a murder than there is baking him a cake with a knife in. Think about that for a few if see if you understand the correlation.

As to ranking sins: He did come up his a top 10 and made one unpardonable.

You're correlation is the cake for the wedding assisted in completing the wedding like baking a cake with a knife in it would help someone commit a murder.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any dumber....
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
What happens when people are more riled up that the woman who lies to them daily can't get a piece of chicken than just about anything else?

http://wset.com/news/local/west-virginia-man-charged-after-police-said-he-threw-feces-at-the-red-hen

Quote:West Virginia man charged after police said he threw chicken feces at the Red Hen

LEXINGTON, Va. (WSET) -- A West Virginia man has been charged after police said he threw feces at the Red Hen Tuesday while others were standing outside the restaurant protesting.

Quote:[Image: yMrZVMrl_normal.jpg]
[/url]ABC 13 News - WSET

@ABC13News

26 Jun
Replying to @ABC13News
Protesters were also seen outside of the #RedHen in Lexington today holding @CoreyStewartVA signs and a @realDonaldTrump flag pic.twitter.com/1Trf2FTJ1I

ABC 13 News - WSET

@ABC13News
More people have started showing up to the #RedHen and ABC reports a man was arrested for throwing "chicken s**t" at the restaurant pic.twitter.com/XQ2XI95ExV
5:00 PM - Jun 26, 2018

Protesters made their presence known, lining the street and corner, and drawing attention to what many of them call an attack on President Donald Trump's Administration.

The outrage comes days after the Red Hen's owner asked Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave the restaurant Friday night.

Quote:[Image: CbCbznYp_normal.jpg]
Sarah Sanders

@PressSec

Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left. Her actions say far more about her than about me. I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so
10:53 AM - Jun 23, 2018

Since then there has been major outrage online over Stephanie Wilkinson's actions.

Tuesday, people turned to the street with their signs in hand to protest the restaurant, which has remained closed since the incident.
Outside the Red Hen people were chanting and held homemade signs, Corey Stewart campaign signs and American and Make America Great Again flags.

ABC 13 News - WSET

@ABC13News

26 Jun
RED HEN PROTEST: Opponents of the Red Hen owner's decision to ask Sarah Sanders to leave the restaurant over the weekend were outside today.

These signs say '***** are full of demons' and 'Unless they repent Let God Burn Them (LGBT) 2 Peter 2:6' pic.twitter.com/nTe2r8bmtM

ABC 13 News - WSET

@ABC13News
Protesters were also seen outside of the #RedHen in Lexington today holding @CoreyStewartVA signs and a @realDonaldTrump flag pic.twitter.com/1Trf2FTJ1I
4:54 PM - Jun 26, 2018

Another man held signs that said "***** are full of demons" and "Unless they repent Let God Burn Them (LGBT) 2 Peter 2:6."

View image on Twitter
[Image: DgpS_YNVAAAt_TC?format=jpg&name=small]

ABC 13 News - WSET

@ABC13News

RED HEN PROTEST: Opponents of the Red Hen owner's decision to ask Sarah Sanders to leave the restaurant over the weekend were outside today.

These signs say '***** are full of demons' and 'Unless they repent Let God Burn Them (LGBT) 2 Peter 2:6'
4:46 PM - Jun 26, 2018

Reginald Scott See, 51, of Martinsburg, West Virginia, was arrested and charged with littering and disorderly conduct after throwing chicken feces toward the Red Hen Tuesday afternoon.

ABC 13 News - WSET

@ABC13News

26 Jun
Replying to @ABC13News
More people have started showing up to the #RedHen and ABC reports a man was arrested for throwing "chicken s**t" at the restaurant pic.twitter.com/XQ2XI95ExV

ABC 13 News - WSET

@ABC13News
This is a look at what the man threw: pic.twitter.com/nEMXUPyNjV
5:02 PM - Jun 26, 2018

The local fire department had it all cleaned up by Tuesday evening and police said the protesters were semi-peaceful despite this incident and some shouting at each other.

Both supporters and opponents of Wilkinson's decision said she had every right to dismiss Sanders.

However, supporters have applauded the restaurant owner for taking a stand, opponents who showed up to protest, though, said they don't take this kind of action toward public servants lightly.

Quote:[Image: 0Q14wFXt_normal.jpg]
Valencia E. Jones@vjreports3

21h
Protesters outside the Red Hen in Lexington earlier today. pic.twitter.com/fMEEknPYE4

Quote:[Image: 0Q14wFXt_normal.jpg]
Valencia E. Jones@vjreports3

“We don’t take this meanness toward public servants lightly.” - Chris Wayne, who came to Lexington from Monterey to protest. [url=https://t.co/eH2aEEakme]pic.twitter.com/eH2aEEakme
11:35 PM - Jun 26, 2018

The Red Hen has been closed for business since Friday and it's not clear when they will open back up.

Wilkinson has stepped down as executive director of Main Street Lexington, a local business group that supports the city's development.
I can't wait until a democrat gets elected so we can magically watch it become patriotic to hate the government again.
(06-28-2018, 10:57 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't wait until a democrat gets elected so we can magically watch it become patriotic to hate the government again.

And enforcing immigration law stops being equated to Nazi Germany?  Let's please stop pretending insane levels of hypocrisy are confined to one side of the aisle.
(06-28-2018, 11:08 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And enforcing immigration law stops being equated to Nazi Germany?  Let's please stop pretending insane levels of hypocrisy are confined to one side of the aisle.

Exactly .The government knows better than we do.....for now
(06-28-2018, 11:18 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Exactly .The government knows better than we do.....for now

For some.  For others we're living in the beginning stages of the 4th Reich.  I, for one, would really enjoy a return to the days where hyperbole was consigned to the lunatic fringe of both parties, rather than the standard for behavior.
(06-28-2018, 11:18 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Exactly .The government knows better than we do.....for now

I may be splitting hairs, but I think it's Trump and not the government.  Trump is still thought of as outside the government or the establishment.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-28-2018, 11:26 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: For some.  For others we're living in the beginning stages of the 4th Reich.  I, for one, would really enjoy a return to the days where hyperbole was consigned to the lunatic fringe of both parties, rather than the standard for behavior.

Hyperbole sells.  Give the people what they want. The customer is always right. 
(06-28-2018, 11:08 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And enforcing immigration law stops being equated to Nazi Germany?  Let's please stop pretending insane levels of hypocrisy are confined to one side of the aisle.

Exactly.  

we need to always remind the Democrats that they are as bad as Republicans.   Smirk
(06-28-2018, 11:33 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hyperbole sells.  Give the people what they want. The customer is always right. 

Like "Lock her up!" and "Mexico will pay for the wall!"?