Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well here's the liberal compassion I've heard so much about.
(03-03-2017, 10:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There are not.

Signed:

All Conservatives are racist

Yep...you probably read someone, somewhere that said that.  And if you let the opinion of one or two people on the internet still bother you this much the internet may not be the place for you.

Signed

All liberals are snowflakes.

Note: That signature is sarcasm because I don't take those thing as seriously as some seem too.

Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-03-2017, 10:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yep...you probably read someone, somewhere that said that.  And if you let the opinion of one or two people on the internet still bother you this much the internet may not be the place for you.

Signed

Note: That signature is sarcasm because I don't take those thing as seriously as some seem too.

Rock On

we all know conservatives are the true snowflakes
People suck
(03-03-2017, 10:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: Note: That signature is sarcasm because I don't take those thing as seriously as some seem too.

Rock On

No doubt. Folks can easily tell who doesn't"take those things as seriously as some seem to" by the volume of threads one starts. You seem pretty aloof.  

Note: That post was sarcasm
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: MG_8654-1.jpg]

look at this smug, incompassionate voice of all liberals
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Here's a lefty engaging in "Locker room" talk. Unfortunately, this was at a public function:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2017/03/02/rep-cedric-richmond-made-an-awkward-joke-about-kellyanne-conway-but-he-says-it-wasnt-meant-to-be-sexual/?utm_term=.3c6af507b0d9

Here's the 'joke' when he's referring to a picture on Conway kneeling on a couch: 

Quote:”“Tim, you kind of opened the door,” he said. “I really just want to know what was going on there, because, you know, I won’t tell anybody. And you can just explain to me that circumstance — because she really looked kind of familiar in that position there.

(03-03-2017, 10:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: Signed

(03-03-2017, 11:40 AM)Griever Wrote: we all know conservatives are the true snowflakes

Not complaining against you two, but BOY am I tired of that term.
I mean..... yeah, I used it after watching Fight Club, but damn.
I'm pretty sure I stopped using it at least two years ago, at least in a serious sense.
Conservatives are the ones that started pumping it up the past few years, right ?

Alas, poor Tyler Durden ! I knew him, Cornelius: a fellow
of infinite jabs, of most excellent footwork: he hath
knocked me on my back a thousand times; and now, how
engrained in my resolve he is!
(03-02-2017, 11:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You are constantly telling us how loving libs are and how hateful cons are(they hate Obama because he does good) but you are ok trashing a guy the day after he dies.  I was about to respond to you on the free press thread, but I now realize it's utterly useless.  I look forward to the return of the old Dill.

A guy was not "trashed" after he died. Someone offered an assessment of a public figure's legacy, common done with the passing of news personalities.

Old Dill, New Dill--I never decide it's useless to communicate with people. 
(03-02-2017, 07:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure do. Do you still think he won't: 
Win the GOP Primaries?
Get the nomination of his party?
Win the General Election?
Make it to the inauguration?
But I'm sure you think you are right this time

This time?

When have I ever said Trump wouldn't win the GOP primaries or get the nomination of his party? 

I don't recall anyone anywhere claiming he wouldn't make to his inauguration. You are just extending an
already simplistic induction here, the foundation of the Peter Principle.

I'm sure I am right that governing is much different from winning a Republican primary--and Trump is not governing well.
(03-03-2017, 09:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Here's a lefty engaging in "Locker room" talk. Unfortunately, this was at a public function:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2017/03/02/rep-cedric-richmond-made-an-awkward-joke-about-kellyanne-conway-but-he-says-it-wasnt-meant-to-be-sexual/?utm_term=.3c6af507b0d9

Here's the 'joke' when he's referring to a picture on Conway kneeling on a couch: 

Looks like "the left" just lost the moral high ground they appeared to have when Republicans elected a vulgar misogynist to the presidency.  Now "both sides" do it.
(03-02-2017, 11:52 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: But..... what if Alan thought that he may be able to makes conservatives stop and think ?
Seriously, he made me question some things.
Had he taken an aggressive stance, I would have wrote him off.
We tend to double-down on our opinions when we're challenged.
I will agree there are a few times where he could have done more, but I believe there was a method to his tone and cadence (apart from the times where he was stammering in anger...lol)
I like to think he subscribed to the thoughts of the following article, as I am ATTEMPTING to do.

http://www.learnliberty.org/blog/if-you-want-persuade-people-stop-winning-arguments/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Learn+Liberty&utm_content=If+you+want+persuade+people%2C+stop+%E2%80%9Cwinning%E2%80%9D+arguments

Interesting points, Roto. I do think it likely Combs thought he was making people think, not just conservatives.

Remember, though he was working with Hannity, who always takes a hyper-aggressive stance. And that is what appears to attract Hannity's audience to him. 

Your article has some good ideas, and "questioning" is certainly a viable alternative to logical argument in some contexts.
That was in fact Socrates' preferred approach--though in his questions always turned out to be a logical argument in disguise, and sometimes a very aggressive one.  Sounds like, if you want to persuade people to a different track for the next election, better get your questions started now, because questions take a while.

At the heart of that article, though, is the implicit recognition of the diminished role of logic and evidence in political discourse. Now we are living in an age in which political arguments relying on logic and evidence are inherently biased.

I think at the root of that rejection is a lack of understanding/knowledge of how logic and evidence work, or used to work, in political arguments.  History affords us with examples when they appear to have worked, usually with happy results.
(E.g., the Federalist Papers.)

Have you ever read any of George Lakoff's work? He seems like someone genuinely interested in understanding how liberals and conservatives communicate, and how to enable communication between them.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/467716.html
(03-03-2017, 10:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There are not.
Signed:

Hannity cannot get through an hour of his radio show without mentioning how Conservatives are unfairly accused of racism.

Sounds like some conservatives feel they are victims of--what exactly?
(03-04-2017, 12:34 AM)Dill Wrote: Hannity cannot get through an hour of his radio show without mentioning how Conservatives are unfairly accused of racism.

Sounds like some conservatives feel they are victims of--what exactly?

I'll admit that you have me at a disadvantage; as the next time I watch Hannity, will be the first time I watch Hannity. 

But as to your question (as I always answer): I don't think conservatives feel they are victims of anything anymore. That changed on 11/9/2016. It was the same day a large percentage of the population lost their minds. 

(03-04-2017, 12:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll admit that you have me at a disadvantage; as the next time I watch Hannity, will be the first time I watch Hannity. 

But as to your question (as I always answer): I don't think conservatives feel they are victims of anything anymore. That changed on 11/9/2016. It was the same day a large percentage of the population lost their minds. 

So what does this mean:

bfine32 Wrote: There are not.

Signed:

PS Listening to Hannity's radio show will give you a better sense of his politics. He is less shrill on tv.
(03-04-2017, 12:27 AM)Dill Wrote: Your article has some good ideas, and "questioning" is certainly a viable alternative to logical argument in some contexts.
That was in fact Socrates' preferred approach--though in his questions always turned out to be a logical argument in disguise, and sometimes a very aggressive one.  Sounds like, if you want to persuade people to a different track for the next election, better get your questions started now, because questions take a while.

At the heart of that article, though, is the implicit recognition of the diminished role of logic and evidence in political discourse. Now we are living in an age in which political arguments relying on logic and evidence are inherently biased.

I think at the root of that rejection is a lack of understanding/knowledge of how logic and evidence work, or used to work, in political arguments.  History affords us with examples when they appear to have worked, usually with happy results.
(E.g., the Federalist Papers.)

I am like Johnny MF'ing Appleseed planting the seeds of thought, out there.
I've been visiting Libertarian Affiliates in adjoining counties, discussing the most productive ways to approach people.
Many Libertarians seem to have too much aggression and come off as condescending, when attempting to educate others about the party.
You have to make people comfortable and start with asking what's important to them.
Usually there's a commonality to be had, within the first question, to build off of.
I've been told that I have "a gift" for this kind of discussion.
I'm just me and I know it's going to take cooperation from to everyone to prosper.
I fully intend on inviting EVERYONE to my county affiliates meetings.
I'll even invite the leaders of our local Democratic and Republican parties, to share notes and plan for common goals.

(03-04-2017, 12:27 AM)Dill Wrote: Have you ever read any of George Lakoff's work? He seems like someone genuinely interested in understanding how liberals and conservatives communicate, and how to enable communication between them.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/467716.html

I have not, but I most certainly will now.
Thank you !
Any resource that helps advance Liberty is greatly appreciated.
(03-04-2017, 08:55 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I am like Johnny MF'ing Appleseed planting the seeds of thought, out there.

Though not a libertarian, I can't disagree with you on that! ThumbsUp
(03-05-2017, 07:03 PM)Dill Wrote: Though not a libertarian, I can't disagree with you on that!
It's the only way to have a truly constructive conversation.
I don't have to be "right" or convince them of anything.
I only want them to evaluate what has been the accepted norm and if there might be a better way.
There is always more for me to learn and ponder, as well.
No matter a person's party, we all need to be more moderate.