Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Welp I'm changing my mind about free agency
(03-13-2018, 12:03 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Now that we are drafting at #21, I can see Gesicki coming into play! I'd be happy with that!

Yeah, you're right.  I had all but written that pick off after his combine.  Now, we're right back in the mix.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 11:41 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Like it or not, free agency is essentially over now that Glenn's contract counts for almost $10 million in space.  That leaves just enough for Eifert if we want him.

Not really most of this deal is covered by adam jones departure
Reply/Quote
I'm actually ok with keeping Bodine as a backup center. He's not the best center ,but he is if nothing very durable . Having someone who can actually play when the starter goes down means a lot more than you might think . And ,with a new position coach he might turn his ways around. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'm getting there. I count the new coaches in this offseason grade as well. I'd take not re-signing Bodine as addition by subtraction as well. So we'll see about that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Negative

Retaining Marvin Lewis yet again
Filling/retaining all defensive position coaches with no say from Teryl Austin

Neutral

I felt we could've done better than Teryl Austin, but I don't hate the move
Bobby Hart didn't perform well in NY, but at the very least, he's decent insurance (with plenty of starting experience) for Jake Fisher

Positive

Firing PA and replacing him with Frank Pollack - doesn't get much better than that
Making the ultimatum to cut/restructure Pacman was very un-Bengal like and a positive step
Despite what people are saying, Chris Baker was a good signing
Trading for Cordy Glenn was a big boy move

Still need to see

We need a new Center and Right Guard (fingers crossed for the draft)
Cutting MJ to free up more money for upgrades would be nice, but I don't expect it
We need to bring back Eifert if his injuries are reflected in his price (7+ million would be a major gamble) - if not Eifert, we still need a TE

That's about it for the major moves.

This pretty well covers it.  I'm pretty optimistic, going into the draft at least.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Remember we released Jones and took off 6 million before adding Glenn’s 11 million (approx). So really we used 5 million of the 15 million.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:29 AM)McC Wrote: When you start adding these things up--getting rid of PA, not picking up the option on Adam Jones, and now this--this off season most definitely has a different feel to it.

This

It all started with dismissal of PA and now telling players to go or restructure.

Now trading for Glenn points towards a change in philosophy that I for one am happy to see. 

Can not wait for the next surprise. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 12:37 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm getting there. I count the new coaches in this offseason grade as well. I'd take not resigning Bodine as addition by subtraction as well. So we'll see about that.

Would as well but am open to letting Pollack figure that out. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:44 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Are you positive, neutral ,or negative now going into free agency and the off season?

I went from negative thinking same old crap to absolutely stunned they made a trade. The last big trade we made was when we got 2 draft picks for Carson Palmer I think. And I think that helped us get to the playoffs .

Now this shakes things up at every stand point from draft to who we resign and sign. We might not sign Bodine (really really hoping). Can you imagine them making another good move and not bringing him back. They might not bring back Smith now,which I'm fine with if your going to draft another tackle.

When I really think about it. The offseasons when I did not like any of the moves we didn't make the playoffs. To me the pats and eagles have set the blueprint clear as day. Eagles went and drafted a elite qb ,they did trades , their draft picks turned out good and they used free agency,and had a capable back up qb. They had a ok enough backup but they used free agency and did everything right management wise that they still won the Superbowl over the afc team who does exactly the same as they do.

We have to start winning the offseasons I think,it all starts in free agency. Then the draft . If I feel like we came out good in the moves and signings and draft I think we have a great shot at going farther then usual. I don't think the Bengals should end it with these two signings though we need a couple more. Now the fun part is seeing what else happens. If all the rest of the moves are Like eww and the draft picks are eww then I might be negative again. But right now I feel this year will be different then the rest and I'm stoked. WHO DEY 2018

(03-13-2018, 08:54 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well unlike the past several years, this team has proven me wrong on a few accounts. I said they would never fire Paul Alexander: I was wrong. I said they wouldn't part ways with pacman, I was also partially wrong (it remains to be seen if they bring him back for lesser money Whatever ), I said it would be the same old song and dance with free agency... I was very wrong.

As dismal and pathetic that this franchise can be, this offseason has been a very pleasant surprise thus far. I'm not going to start jumping for joy and celebrate "winning the offseason" just yet... But it has been way better than expected ThumbsUp

You guys had history on your side so i don't blame you guys. I was wondering though when we brought in all of these new
coaches if things would change around here. To me, that was a big sign bringing in Pollack, now bringing in Cordy Glenn in
a beautiful trade? Also like you guys said, letting Adam's money go?

I mean, i smell positive change now. Cool
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to believe they're going to try something new ? Actually trying to improve the team instead of being loyal and saving money.

We'll see if they don't re-sign Bodine and cut MJ ?
Reply/Quote
Like I said in another thread similar to this one. I'm coming around. Going to take a little more to get me to fully optimistic again.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Negative

Retaining Marvin Lewis yet again
Filling/retaining all defensive position coaches with no say from Teryl Austin

Neutral

I felt we could've done better than Teryl Austin, but I don't hate the move
Bobby Hart didn't perform well in NY, but at the very least, he's decent insurance (with plenty of starting experience) for Jake Fisher

Positive

Firing PA and replacing him with Frank Pollack - doesn't get much better than that
Making the ultimatum to cut/restructure Pacman was very un-Bengal like and a positive step
Despite what people are saying, Chris Baker was a good signing
Trading for Cordy Glenn was a big boy move

Still need to see

We need a new Center and Right Guard (fingers crossed for the draft)
Cutting MJ to free up more money for upgrades would be nice, but I don't expect it
We need to bring back Eifert if his injuries are reflected in his price (7+ million would be a major gamble) - if not Eifert, we still need a TE

That's about it for the major moves.

Good points shake.  It's hard to feel positive about things that should've been done long ago.  We change a few coaches, sign 2 free agents (so far), cut an aging overpaid corner and make 1 trade (that hopefully pans out) and people are talking about winning the off season?  Have we been beaten into submission that badly?

Not trying to be a downer, just some perspective.  I like what they've done.  It just took so damn long 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:54 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well unlike the past several years, this team has proven me wrong on a few accounts. I said they would never fire Paul Alexander: I was wrong. I said they wouldn't part ways with pacman, I was also partially wrong (it remains to be seen if they bring him back for lesser money Whatever ), I said it would be the same old song and dance with free agency... I was very wrong.

As dismal and pathetic that this franchise can be, this offseason has been a very pleasant surprise thus far. I'm not going to start jumping for joy and celebrate "winning the offseason" just yet... But it has been way better than expected ThumbsUp

What free agents has the team signed that you are so excited about?

It was a trade the brought Cordy Glenn to the Bengals, not free agency, and Glenn has been on the trading block for awhile - we could have had him at the trading deadline last year.

We've signed OT Hart, who grades out worse than Ogbuehi. Then we signed DT Baker, who may start next to Atkins or may end up being a rotational guy, either way he's useful.

The Paul Alexander firing was awesome!!! Hiring Pollack to replace him was equally awesome!!!

The team's basic admission that Ogbuehi just ain't the guy was welcome even if massively overdue.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 09:37 AM)BengalChris Wrote: What free agents has the team signed that you are so excited about?

It was a trade the brought Cordy Glenn to the Bengals, not free agency, and Glenn has been on the trading block for awhile - we could have had him at the trading deadline last year.

We've signed OT Hart, who grades out worse than Ogbuehi. Then we signed DT Baker, who may start next to Atkins or may end up being a rotational guy, either way he's useful.

The Paul Alexander firing was awesome!!! Hiring Pollack to replace him was equally awesome!!!

The team's basic admission that Ogbuehi just ain't the guy was welcome even if massively overdue.

Hmm... Fair point. But still, it's a proactive move that this team would never have made in the recent past. It's a refreshing change and shows that maybe... Just maybe they do care about winning (to some extent)
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 10:15 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Hmm... Fair point. But still, it's a proactive move that this team would never have made in the recent past. It's a refreshing change and shows that maybe... Just maybe they do care about winning (to some extent)

Fingers crossed and I'm hoping they do. And hoping even more that they keep it up and this isn't the only move !
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 10:15 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Hmm... Fair point. But still, it's a proactive move that this team would never have made in the recent past. It's a refreshing change and shows that maybe... Just maybe they do care about winning (to some extent)

I'm very happy about the trade, more so because we don't have to count on a rookie LT to come in and be good right off the bat. I was concerned that there just wasn't that top end LT in the draft you knew was going to be good.

The magnitude of the trade alone does show a change in attitude by the Bengals. I don't know if Mikey Brown is being more shoved to the side by his daughter or not.

It is easy to say that Mikey Brown doesn't care about winning because of his moronic decisions over the years, but sooner or later the guy is going to be gone. Thank God!

Now there are new decisions to make. What to do about at Center? Bodine may have started a lot of games, but he's not very good.

Do we draft a Punter or re-sign Huber? Huber is finishing a contract for around $3.1M per year, but a rookie punter will come late in the draft and cost much less.

Adam Jones is another question mark. For my money he's better than Kirkpatrick in coverage and he always gives AB fits.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 10:37 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm very happy about the trade, more so because we don't have to count on a rookie LT to come in and be good right off the bat. I was concerned that there just wasn't that top end LT in the draft you knew was going to be good.

The magnitude of the trade alone does show a change in attitude by the Bengals. I don't know if Mikey Brown is being more shoved to the side by his daughter or not.

It is easy to say that Mikey Brown doesn't care about winning because of his moronic decisions over the years, but sooner or later the guy is going to be gone. Thank God!

Now there are new decisions to make. What to do about at Center? Bodine may have started a lot of games, but he's not very good.

Do we draft a Punter or re-sign Huber? Huber is finishing a contract for around $3.1M per year, but a rookie punter will come late in the draft and cost much less.

Adam Jones is another question mark. For my money he's better than Kirkpatrick in coverage and he always gives AB fits.

If Katie is shoving her Dad aside and the Glenn trade was a result of this i have much more hope for the future.

What to do about Center? Draft either Ragnow, Price or Daniels and we are good. I would sign back Huber, he is proven even
if he costs more than a rookie would. Field position is huge and Huber could play for a long time. I wouldn't mind bringing back
Adam either as a backup Corner and Returner as i have said before. He was just overpaid, happy they made the right decision.

Will Jax will really give AB fits is my prediction. Did just last year, held him to his worst two games of the season.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If Katie is shoving her Dad aside and the Glenn trade was a result of this i have much more hope for the future.

What to do about Center? Draft either Ragnow, Price or Daniels and we are good. I would sign back Huber, he is proven even
if he costs more than a rookie would. Field position is huge and Huber could play for a long time. I wouldn't mind bringing back
Adam either as a backup Corner and Returner as i have said before. He was just overpaid, happy they made the right decision.

Will Jax will really give AB fits is my prediction. Did just last year, held him to his worst two games of the season.

I agree with you. I was bringing up Huber more of how the team could use the salary cap it has left.

I also believe Will Jackson will be good against AB. But I also know that corners do get dinged up and miss a few games here and there, and I most definitely do not want a situation where Kirkpatrick is guarding AB. Not for a game, a quarter and especially not in a 4th quarter. In fact, I don't even want Kirkpatrick dreaming about guarding AB.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 03:47 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I agree with you. I was bringing up Huber more of how the team could use the salary cap it has left.

I also believe Will Jackson will be good against AB. But I also know that corners do get dinged up and miss a few games here and there, and I most definitely do not want a situation where Kirkpatrick is guarding AB. Not for a game, a quarter and especially not in a 4th quarter. In fact, I don't even want Kirkpatrick dreaming about guarding AB.

For sure, need to give Dennard and extension for this very reason. Kirkpatrick just isn't very good. He is getting overpaid
right now just like Adam was. I like WJ3, Dennard, Shaw and Russell all better as our Corners. Shaw can even play Safety
in a pinch. Not against cutting Kirkpatrick honestly if it would save money. If not, kind of have to keep him around and
just hope he gets better.

I know lots of times this team plays the guy who gets paid the most to the team's own detriment. This needs to stop.
Reply/Quote
A bit off topic, but I saw a tweet from a Jets beat writer where he said "Finally the Jets pay a guard over a #1 WR. I never thought I'd see the day".

I instantly thought of the Bengals and how we've always had a fine #1 WR, but we're very reluctant to pay interior linemen.

It'd be nice if we start valuing the interior more.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote