Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Went fishin yesterday...
I didn't catch a single fish, but did manage to catch 4 turtles and 3 others that snapped the line(s).. I know the lake here is full of turtles, but I've never seen so many in one place at the same time..
Anyway, since I have the gear and tackle this season we're assured victory whenever I go fishin whenever we're not winning as long as I go fishin..  Seems like a strange coorelation to make, me fishin and the Bengals winning, but the  past few seasons I didn't go fishing and the record showed it.. 

Any good turtle soup recipes? Striped mudders.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
One can have a good time fishing without catching any. Its just great for the "state of mind ".
Reboots our souls.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 08:35 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: One can have a good time fishing without catching any. Its just great for the "state of mind ".
Reboots our souls.

Yep. But in his case, also makes the Bengals come from behind to win. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 09:56 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep. But in his case, also makes the Bengals come from behind for an epic win. ThumbsUp

Fixed it for ya!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:43 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Fixed it for ya!

You know, I think it was the Seattle comeback that started it all. Gramps got upset and and turned the tv off, grabbed his poles and headed to the fishing hole. Bengal's came back and won. Has happened a few times so either the fish in his pond are magic fish, or we're all gonna have to figure out a way to cancel his cable so we don't get behind to start with.  Wink

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You know, I think it was the Seattle comeback that started it all. Gramps got upset and and turned the tv off, grabbed his poles and headed to the fishing hole. Bengal's came back and won. Has happened a few times so either the fish in his pond are magic fish, or we're all gonna have to figure out a way to cancel his cable so we don't get behind to start with.  Wink

That was the one.

And you and I both have become accustomed to regularly checking that he has a valid license and plenty of tackle ever since!
Reply/Quote
Lol..it was the Seattle game indeed and it's a private lake so no license required .

I'm still considering fixing turtle meat .. I've never cleaned one to eat so it's going to be a new experience if I do .  If I had to guess I'd say there's probably hundreds and hundreds of turtles in the lake.. 

Maybe I'll invite Bengals from SC for a turtle cookout if they win the super bowl.. if they don't win it then tough luck . 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Turtle is decent, but a pain in the ass to clean.

But the only time I tried to clean one was before YouTube made it easy to learn how to do anything.  I am sure there are probably I lot of little tricks I didn't know about.

Years ago we put out "trot lines".  When we caught a turtle we would use the meat as catfish bait, and sometimes we would just grill chunks over the fire.
Reply/Quote
Snapping turtle is very good.   Never tried any soft shelled turtle.

"The worst day fishing is better than the best day at work."
- A wise wise man
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 02:53 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Snapping turtle is very good.  

That is what we would catch.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 02:53 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: "The worst day fishing is better than the best day at work."
- A wise wise man

Ever seen "The Perfect Storm"?
Reply/Quote
Used to catch alot of turtles out Pioneer Park lake over near Harrison.

My stepson and I caught about 20 bull trout and rainbows out of Redfish Lake back in July. None of them were big enough to keep, but we had fun catching them.
[Image: redfish-lake-from-boat.jpg]
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Caught a few catfish today . Yesterday it was a good size bluegill for bait..  I really need a better rod n reel.. I'm still using a cheapo Zebco.. It's ok for small stuff, but anything bigger than about 8" it's usually stealing the bait, hook, sinker and bobber.. lol 

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 10:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: Caught a few catfish today . Yesterday it was a good size bluegill for bait..  I really need a better rod n reel.. I'm still using a cheapo Zebco.. It's ok for small stuff, but anything bigger than about 8" it's usually stealing the bait, hook, sinker and bobber.. lol 

My first reel was a Zebco 808.  that reel caught a lot of catfish back in the day.  But I haven't fished in years.  need to get back out here soon.  if for nothing else, to get away from the wife for a couple hours.  LOL!  :)
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
My timing has been off the past few days . Nothing but bait stealing turtles.. Fishing at high noon isn't working..lol

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 02:55 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: My first reel was a Zebco 808.  that reel caught a lot of catfish back in the day.  But I haven't fished in years.  need to get back out here soon.  if for nothing else, to get away from the wife for a couple hours.  LOL!  :)

That doesn't work for me, as she likes fishing more than most men.  And is way better at it than most men as well.

It get's boring sitting there watching her reel in fish after fish when you get squat!
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2018, 11:34 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: It get's boring sitting there watching her reel in fish after fish when you get squat!

Stop bitching and make her a sammich. Hilarious

Reply/Quote
Been fishing a lot, lately. This was Sunday morning on the South Fork of the Shenandoah River.

[Image: 25z2fy8.jpg]

I've been slaying smallies in the river, lately. I've found it much more enjoyable than lake fishing.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Wonderful, Matt. I had some decent success with Smallmouth this year, with 3 2 pounders (or larger) caught when they were out of season still.

I'm going for the last summer run, this weekend, but this year has been awesome...

... cue Costa Rica pics from April:

Around a 6 pound Mahi. Made for wonderful Sashimi!:

[Image: 32350090_10156286878649648_8002593665333...e=5C3A5401]

15.7 pound Mahi Mahi:

[Image: 32471945_10156286886364648_1668545419551...e=5BF2237D]

And the big ones:

[Image: 32257667_10156286877799648_1377804845469...e=5C359C90]

[Image: 32283764_10156286885009648_3136758952939...e=5BFCF023]

First one was 121.7 pounds, second one was 161.1.

And my fianceé's Mahi, that was cut up and we forgot on the boat Sad

[Image: 32371918_10156287389469648_4049599190223...e=5C36DA08]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
She’ll never forget that, just sayin. I think I remember when you got that tattoo.

Reply/Quote