Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were we tanking last season
(08-20-2020, 10:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually aliens were using mind control beams to scramble Taylor's brain so that he could not think clearly.

I'd put money on that before i would that an NFL HC would intentionally do anything to try and ensure his team loses. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So let me get this straight.

If we were trying to lose then the change in the run blocking scheme was supposed to make use WORSE instead of better?  And the same with cutting Preston Brown? And moving dalton back into the starting line up?

Basically anyone claiming we were tanking last year will have to admit that Taylor is so clueless he does not even know how to lose on purpose.

No, I think it shows basically Taylor tried things out the way they were, and when they didn't work, he made changes instead of sticking with the status quo.
Reply/Quote
As a fan I was, winning did us no good, we needed a franchise changer to lead the team at QB. The team I don't think was tanking.

It was a very late start for Zac and assembling his coaches last minute didn't help. In addition there were some Marvin "left overs" that Zac had to clear out because of attitude or whatever and that has happened as well.

I look forward to bright things for this year and many seasons ahead!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 08:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No, I think it shows basically Taylor tried things out the way they were, and when they didn't work, he made changes instead of sticking with the status quo.

My point was that if Taylor was tanking then he would not make those changes to try and get better.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 03:44 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd put money on that before i would that an NFL HC would intentionally do anything to try and ensure his team loses. 

Especially a rookie head coiach with zero track record.

The LAST thing a new coach wants to do is establish a loser mentality.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 09:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My point was that if Taylor was tanking then he would not make those changes to try and get better.

Not disagreeing with you. Like I said, I don't know that they were tanking, I think they were evaluating. Big difference. But I think the emphasis was more on finding out what they had and what they needed more than winning. And I think that was discussed with the FO before the season.
Reply/Quote
We needed a bad season to turn this roster over. The worst place you can be in any sport is middle of the road.

Middle of the road only helps the owners. If you get that franchise QB your entire franchise could change in an instance.

This is an old example but did you know the Steelers use to suck?

Check out their record from 1933-1971
http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf/histories/steelers

Who turned them around? Terry Bradshaw
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 08:43 PM)QueenCity Wrote: We needed a bad season to turn this roster over. The worst place you can be in any sport is middle of the road.

Middle of the road only helps the owners. If you get that franchise QB your entire franchise could change in an instance.

Speaking of that rube, I can’t believe he’s got his own reality show now. 2020 really is the worst.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 08:43 PM)QueenCity Wrote: We needed a bad season to turn this roster over. The worst place you can be in any sport is middle of the road.

And he wasn't even that good. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 03:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know if it's considered tanking, but I think the whole season was looked at as an evaluation season to determine which direction the team was going to go. And after the evaluation, it appears a good number of players did not make the cut, so to say, as far as the new team. If you were a poor or unwilling tackler, you were shown the door.

Spot on. I had the feeling the coaches didn't know exactly what they had for players. Was it a tank, no, but we needed bodies on the field so we couldn't shit can everyone at one time. The dysfunctional ones were let go during the season and the youth movement was on. This year we went big in Free agency and drafted players that were leaders and studs. Truly believe this team is going the right direction
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 02:17 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: we started Preston brown Andre smith Ryan Finley absolute garbage players. It speaks volumes that Drek hasn't even got a camp invite.

If they were.... GOOD. They needed to reboot most of the team. That process has started. Perfect!
Reply/Quote
I don't think we went into the season with those intentions, but I feel like once mid-season came around and they were winless that a semi-tank was on. They knew they were in prime position for the top pick by that point, knew they needed a new QB, knew they needed LBs.
Who knows, its not far fetched to assume someone high up in the FO came to ZT and his staff and said "hey look, the season is lost. We hired you late, didn't give you or your staff the time and tools nessessary for a planned and well thought out draft. We didn't go and get you the FA you could have really used this year. THIS off-season, we're going to let you get ALL those things. Evaluate, see what you have, and we'll go from there."
So come GameDay, maybe the game plan wasn't as crisp as it should have been, maybe there's an explanation for some of the boneheaded play calling, maybe there's an explanation as to why we didn't sign a guy or two off the street mid-season to help improve the defense (remember the stabilization Dhani Jones brought our LB crew years ago, or how Chris Crocker helped the back end of our secondary when injuries decimated us, etc). You gotta figure, as bad as the defense played through those first eight or ten games, there was help out there to be had, we just kept it internal. To see what we had. Sort of a tank job.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 08:43 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Who turned them around? Terry Bradshaw

Terry Bradshaw was not that good.

Just look at the string of drafts they had

DT Joe Green...Hall of Fame, 
DE L.C. Greenwood...6 time Pro Bowl

QB Terry Bradshaw...Hall of Fame
DB Mel Blount...Hall of fame

LB Jack Ham...Hall of Fame

RB Franco Harris...Hall of Fame

WR Lynn Swann...Hall of Fame
LB Jack Lambert...Hall of Fame
WR John Stallworth...Hall of Fame
OC Mike Webster...Hall of Fame
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 10:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Terry Bradshaw was not that good.

Just look at the string of drafts they had

DT Joe Green...Hall of Fame, 
DE L.C. Greenwood...6 time Pro Bowl

QB Terry Bradshaw...Hall of Fame
DB Mel Blount...Hall of fame

LB Jack Ham...Hall of Fame

RB Franco Harris...Hall of Fame

WR Lynn Swann...Hall of Fame
LB Jack Lambert...Hall of Fame
WR John Stallworth...Hall of Fame
OC Mike Webster...Hall of Fame

You left out their team chemist. He should definitely be in the HOF for getting the 70's Steelers all juiced up.

Also, I agree. Terry Bradshaw is grossly overrated.
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of people forget the following:

1. Boling retired leaving a pretty big hole
2. Williams got hurt, leaving a pretty big hole
3. AJ was hurt, leaving a pretty big hole

You can't win with 3rd stringers starting on the line. As soon as those injuries happened, I knew there was no way we were winning more than 6 games. I was just hoping that we could finish top 2-3 so we could get a new QB.

The only thing that showed me that the season was truly an evaluation was when Finley started those games.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 11:56 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think a lot of people forget the following:

1.  Boling retired leaving a pretty big hole
2.  Williams got hurt, leaving a pretty big hole
3.  AJ was hurt, leaving a pretty big hole

You can't win with 3rd stringers starting on the line.  As soon as those injuries happened, I knew there was no way we were winning more than 6 games.  I was just hoping that we could finish top 2-3 so we could get a new QB.  

The only thing that showed me that the season was truly an evaluation was when Finley started those games.

Feel the same. We had no shot last year with all those things happening.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 10:39 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Also, I agree. Terry Bradshaw is grossly overrated.

Steeler fans don't even like Bradshaw.  They were of the mindset that any idiot can win a SB, despite the fact that they have a grand total of zero without Bradshaw or Ben.  I"m just saying being from the Steeler country I didn't see even faint applause for Bradshaw until the whole "70s Steelers" turned into a sort of sepia-toned memory and people had to watch Bubby Brister and Mike Tomckzkzkskakcckkk under center.

Hell, I"m pretty sure there are clips of Bradshaw getting injured at Three Rivers and the Steeler fans cheering their asses off.  But hey the guy made some craptastic Country/Jesus albums in the 80s, right? Honestly, I don't think the Bradshaw being popular aspect took off until the guy got on anti-depressants and became a wacky analyst.
Reply/Quote
I wasn't around to watch Bradshaw... but yes his stats aren't the greatest.

Regardless without doing research he was still likely a leader in the old NFL Archaic offense. I would be severely disappointed if Burrow was Bradshaw.

Maybe Bradshaw was slightly a bad example but there are several QB's who turned franchises around. All it takes is one!
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 08:20 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I wasn't around to watch Bradshaw... but yes his stats aren't the greatest.

Regardless without doing research he was still likely a leader in the old NFL Archaic offense. I would be severely disappointed if Burrow was Bradshaw.

Maybe Bradshaw was slightly a bad example but there are several QB's who turned franchises around. All it takes is one!

Luck Cam Russ Dak Carson Mahomes all did it in first season starting. The likelihood your a bust goes way up if you don't make the list today. wasn't the case 10 20 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 08:43 PM)QueenCity Wrote: This is an old example but did you know the Steelers use to suck?

Seems like an up to date example to me.
Reply/Quote