Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westerman Needs to Be our RG
Has anyone checked out this CJ article?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/8/11/17679338/4-things-to-know-from-bengals-final-day-of-training-camp

The reason that I put that in this thread is this section..

Quote:Redmond still only real challenger at RG
It’s looking more and more like Trey Hopkins will retain his starting right guard spot, partly because the real challenger may not even get a chance.
For most of training camp and even the Bengals’ preseason opener, Westerman has been the best guard not named Clint Boling. The problem is Westerman has only gotten time at left guard, where he has no chance of unseating Boling, the team’s best offensive lineman.
So, what about right guard?
Beating out the likes of Hopkins and Redmond seem like something Westerman would do, but for whatever reason, the coaching staff won’t give him reps at right guard.
If that continues, we may not see Westerman at all in 2018, which would really be a shame since it seems like he’d be a major threat to win the right guard spot.
Maybe he just can’t make that switch to the right side. Maybe he just can’t block as well from the right side.
Maybe, but it would still be nice to see him get a chance.

Now, reading things like "Westerman has been the best Guard not named Boling", and "for whatever reason, the coaches won't give him reps at RG", really gets my mind to imagining possibilities.

What if.. The team were considering pushing Boling out to LT, replacing him with Westerman, AND shifting Glenn over to the RT spot?

I know that seems rather far fetched, but hear me out. Several on here had talked about how good Boling looked at LT, at the end of last season. And, if the Bengals fail to pick up a worthy veteran for that RT spot, it certainly would be a way of getting competent players at each of the 5 starting positions. Just imagine Cordy Glenn at RT? That dude is like a freakin' bulldozer. Hello rushing attack.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Has anyone checked out this CJ article?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/8/11/17679338/4-things-to-know-from-bengals-final-day-of-training-camp

Now, reading things like "Westerman has been the best Guard not named Boling", and "for whatever reason, the coaches won't give him reps at RG", really gets my mind to imagining possibilities.

What if..  The team were considering pushing Boling out to LT, replacing him with Westerman, AND shifting Glenn over to the RT spot?

I know that seems rather far fetched, but hear me out.  Several on here had talked about how good Boling looked at LT, at the end of last season.  And, if the Bengals fail to pick up a worthy veteran for that RT spot, it certainly would be a way of getting competent players at each of the 5 starting positions.  Just imagine Cordy Glenn at RT?  That dude is like a freakin' bulldozer.  Hello rushing attack.

I mentioned this earlier today in this thread maybe Westerman is not comfortable on the right side aND doesnt look as good as he does on the left. I know he only played LG in college.

Westerman isn't getting snaps at center either which is what teams do with a lot of the versitile interior linemen...which means they are still stuck with TJ Johnson.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Has anyone checked out this CJ article?

What if..  The team were considering pushing Boling out to LT, replacing him with Westerman, AND shifting Glenn over to the RT spot?

I know that seems rather far fetched, but hear me out.  Several on here had talked about how good Boling looked at LT, at the end of last season.  And, if the Bengals fail to pick up a worthy veteran for that RT spot, it certainly would be a way of getting competent players at each of the 5 starting positions.  Just imagine Cordy Glenn at RT?  That dude is like a freakin' bulldozer.  Hello rushing attack.

Counterpoint why don't we move Boiling to Center, Price to RG, and Westerman to LG? Boiling was better than OG at LT but he still wasn't that good there. If he would Change positions I think it would be C or RG. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Westerman played RT all of his college career. He can also play tackle, thats what he played in H.S.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 01:01 AM)SYLVIA Wrote: Westerman played RT all of his college career. He can also play tackle, thats what he played in H.S.

He played Left Guard for the Sun Devils and I don't think he took a snap for Auburn.

...as for what he played in High School I don't know but I do know Carlos Dunlap played running back. I wouldn't take HS positions to seriously.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

We talked about this a lot after the draft.  With Glenn next to someone like Redmond on the right side, you have 700 lbs of road graders on the right edge.  Boling, IMHO, earned that challenge with how he played the last two games of the season at LT and those were the only two games where the Bengals had a 100 yard rusher (Gio and Mixon) except for the Browns game.

It is a huge shift in overall responsibilities, and when they didn't explore it at OTAs, I knew it was moot.  They would have had to start out with this idea, not as a backup plan, but I sure liked the idea of Glenn and Boling outside, with the nastiness of Westerman, Price, and Redmond inside.  

We all knew last year wasn't a solution, and we saw the epic failure coming and the Bengals did nothing to address it...it was as though they HAD to see the failure of Og and Fish AGAIN before making changes.  Well, the only positive was the discovery that they had a couple capable guards in Westerman and Redmond.  They addressed the tackle vacancy, and drafted Price.  I only wish we could get them all on the field.  
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What if..  The team were considering pushing Boling out to LT, replacing him with Westerman, AND shifting Glenn over to the RT spot?

I think this does make some sense for sure, the only concern is moving the whole O-Line "Out of position"

If the line struggles early in the season a drastic change like this needs to be made.

Going back to the article you quoted I find it hard to believe you cant get your second best lineman on the field???
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Think he did take a step toward winning RG spot even though playing at LG mostly.

Believe the missing practice time has him slightly behind.

But if he can not make switch from left to right side ?

Not opposed to rearranging as both Sunset and Jakey suggested.

Just want the best 5 out there protecting and opening up lanes so our assets can be assets.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Sorry I don't know my left from my right. I'm old.
Reply/Quote

Sunset, brother, this gets me tingly. Do it Pollack, do it. Cool

And do it now so we can get some chemistry going.

Would be a major shame to not have Westerman starting, he is clearly better than Hopkins at everything.

He is ten times as good as Redmond in pass protection. Get this guy in the starting lineup any means necessary.

This also i believe puts all our best O-lineman at the positions they fit the best to their strengths....

LT - Boling
LG - Westerman
C - Price
RG -Redmond
RT - Glenn

Run to right GI-Joe, boy howdy. Smirk

The left is sealed for Andy in the passing game as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sunset, brother, this gets me tingly. Do it Pollack, do it. Cool

And do it now so we can get some chemistry going.

Would be a major shame to not have Westerman starting, he is clearly better than Hopkins at everything.

He is ten times as good as Redmond in pass protection. Get this guy in the starting lineup any means necessary.

This also i believe puts all our best O-lineman at the positions they fit the best to their strengths....

LT - Boling
LG - Westerman
C - Price
RG -Redmond
RT - Glenn

Run to right GI-Joe, boy howdy. Smirk

The left is sealed for Andy in the passing game as well.

Yessir, with all of our RBs, just add another FB to backup Hewitt, and we could build an offensive attack based on ball control, soul sucking drives.  As well as maintain quick strike ability and Red Zone dominance with our talented pass catching weapons.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 03:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yessir, with all of our RBs, just add another FB to backup Hewitt, and we could build an offensive attack based on ball control, soul sucking drives.  As well as maintain quick strike ability and Red Zone dominance with our talented pass catching weapons.

I want so badly to see that badazz, mean sumbitch O-line pancaking Steelers on relentless soul sucking drives.

Damn, almost makes me tear up. Mellow Sad Cry Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 03:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I want so badly to see that badazz, mean sumbitch O-line pancaking Steelers on relentless soul sucking drives.

Damn, almost makes me tear up. Mellow Sad Cry Smirk

We're not there yet. But it's not long before this will be a dream come true. I really believe that.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 03:52 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We're not there yet. But it's not long before this will be a dream come true. I really believe that.

I am believing this too Harley. This will not be the same team the Stool saw last season that should of split with them.

This will be a mauling, mean, hungry Dogman they will be meeting.

Should be fun times. Smirk

Get that Line out there and go to work, with our RB's and weapons emerging i think we could see that long awaited
blow out crushing win where we just pound those bastids embarassingly and mercilessly into the dirt.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am believing this too Harley. This will not be the same team the Stool saw last season that should of split with them.

This will be a mauling, mean, hungry Dogman they will be meeting.

Should be fun times. Smirk

Get that Line out there and go to work, with our RB's and weapons emerging i think we could see that long awaited
blow out crushing win where we just pound those bastids embarassingly and unmercilessly into the dirt.

I hope your right. I so badly want the team to change the tides on the record between us and the steelers. Rip those guys to shreds and embarrass them. That's what I want. The Beer would go down so well during those games. Ah hell, who am I kidding. Beer goes down well regardless if we win or lose. Hangover is worse when we lose though. LOL

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:08 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I hope your right. I so badly want the team to change the tides on the record between us and the steelers. Rip those guys to shreds and embarrass them. That's what I want. The Beer would go down so well during those games. Ah hell, who am I kidding. Beer goes down well regardless if we win or lose. Hangover is worse when we lose though. LOL

Gonna drink Brewskis either way, i would like to be happy and not crying in it lol
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gonna drink Brewskis either way, i would like to be happy and not crying in it lol

I don't cry.  I sob like a baby and ask my wife for nookie. Actually, that's a lie. But I think I finally figured out how to turn her into a Bengal's fan.  ThumbsUp

Edit: And I don't know how the "Thumbsup" emoticon never appeared to me like it just did? I corrupt my own innocence.

Reply/Quote
We have locked down 3 OL spots........Cordy, Clint and Billy ..........solid

Pollack needs to play the rest of the contenders with the 1's and 2's during the next 2 preseason games to separate the studs from the scrubs

and he will

I feel confident the OL will be fine

I keep sayin it.......Billy is gonna take over this OL and the Locker Room

He is a rookie.......but he is a winner..........Whit Jr at Center............Paul would be proud of his son !
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 10:34 AM)corpjet Wrote: Hopkins appeared to struggle yet again at the RG spot, allowing Dalton to take a big hit early in the game.

Meanwhile Westerman was the highest graded OL with zero pressures across 25 pass block snaps according to PFF.  We also know how well he played the final couple of games last year, why does he continue to not get first team reps until there are injuries?
I decided to go back and view Westernmans first 18 plays against bears #2, and he did fine but nothing spectacular,  to be honest he played over air numerous pass plays since bears had slanted over center and #97 had very little pass rush ability,  he had some strong run blocks but also play 12 he lost technique and was going to ground on a pass and there were a couple plays on run he hadlittle or no movement off the line (10, 15, 17) and this was against there 2nd string so when you take everything in account I dont think any guard was clearly better on Thursday 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 05:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I decided to go back and view Westernmans first 18 plays against bears #2, and he did fine but nothing spectacular,  to be honest he played over air numerous pass plays since bears had slanted over center and #97 had very little pass rush ability,  he had some strong run blocks but also play 12 he lost technique and was going to ground on a pass and there were a couple plays on run he hadlittle or no movement off the line (10, 15, 17) and this was against there 2nd string so when you take everything in account I dont think any guard was clearly better on Thursday 

Thanks for your individual analysis Essex, muchly appreciated.

This only emphasizes my belief that Westerman is playing out of position, he is a LG.
Reply/Quote